1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playcalling is ATROCIOUS!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Put in a fullback! Mendy screamed for it 3 weeks ago!

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Preaching to the choir but Tomlin still doesn't get the concept.

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    so was the execution

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Vanilla... unimaginitive... predictable.

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Uhhhhhhh, BA is our OC. What did you expect? :bscow:

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    we did run the ball some tonight then went back to throwing bombs....while I support BA I thought the running game was making some progress in 3rd quarter

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Horrendous! Once again, our offense and ridiculous play calling made the Chiefs D look like Super Bowl contenders..... shock:

I know Romeo has a fairly decent D, but the Chiefs are a BAD team with all of the injuries they have had to contend with and they stayed in the game with us the WHOLE game. :frustrated:

8. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Cmon Peeps. We know what it is with BA. Or offense is suppose to be all that with the talent of or WR's, well whats up with the whole offense? Its terrible. There is nothing good about it, it sucks. BA has turned this offense into a circus with all that passing. We can't score in the red zone, we can't get 1st downs on 3rd down, just 3 and out at the wrong times. This is sickening, the same thing every week.

BA is talking about coaching another year. If so I hope its at the college level and not the Steelers. Its time out for his BS. We need a real OC who knows how to develop a running game. The offense was alright before BA became OC, then he change everything to suit his pass happy style. First he got rid of all the legit Full Backs, then he came up with this 1 back attack and this 5 wide scheme. He basically change the whole philosophy of the Pittsbrgh Steelers offense from a hard nose smash mouth punishing style offense to this soft panzy passing style offense because Ben is suppose to be some kind of all world passing wizard. Heck, Ben has been sacked over 300 times in the last for years. He is not going to last in this style of offense. What was wrong with Dan keider or the other Full Back who is with the Green Bay Packers? When Ken Whisenhunt was the OC, the offense was perfect. And please don't give me that trash about we had a better back with Bettis. All you do is change players but keep the same system and keep on rolling. We drafted wrong, probably because of BA when we drafted Mendenhall and Sweed. I never liked Mendenhall, he is soft and always will be. Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer, all just average or below average backs. Redman is the only one who really has heart. They need to get a legit Full Back, a better feature back, and use Redman with him as a two headed attack. Baron Batch the kid from Texas Tech can take Moore's place next year. They should be looking to draft a serious feature back and a legit Full Back in the upcoming draft after they get rid of BA!

There is so much wrong with this picture. They thought they were going to have this very explosive offense this year and that they were going to score a lot of points. Well, that hair brain scheme just went right out the window. We will never win another Super Bowl with the crrent offensive scheme and the current OC that we have now. And yes the playing calling ATROCIOUS!!!!

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    DIT-TOE!! (F.B.A.I.)

10. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nearly every running play looks exactly the same and the opposing defense can see the play coming a mile away. That is why they always seem to shoot the gaps and there are never any holes. Pulling Kemo seems to rarely open a hole as the LBs and safety see it and react.

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think the play calling was that bad. I didnt like the play where brown was going to throw the ball, but I just thought the execution sucked. lets be honest people dont likie ariens, but how do you call plays with this offensive line. people want to run the ball more. this line can run or pass block. the chiefs were in the backfield as soon as ben dropped back. mendy did run hard, but is going to be inconsistant because the line is. if moore does not fumble, ben doesnt throw a horrible pass, and the line could block inside the ten, this is a different game and the conversation is alot different today. it is easy to say we need this and we need that because we need alot. i just think play calling is not the major problem right now. we dont have the players to execute.

12. shamyhay

shamyhay Member

Oct 17, 2011
    When Johnson is used as the blocker, he is pretty decent. You're right though, we never use him in that H-back blocking role enough.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome to BA's world.

14. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I miss KevDude. :)

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    mistakes, poor execution, ect. by the players has a way of making play calling look terrible. There were plays where the coaches put the players in position to make plays. The players didn't get the job done.

It's unrealistic for people to expect coaches to call near perfect games and over come player mistakes. Not one fan will agree with play calling 100% of the time. Many people that disagree with the philosophy of this offense believe their philosophy is better. Those same people have a difficult time accepting that more then one philosophy can win in the NFL. Some of those same fans need to come into the 21st century where passing games pretty much rule the league.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

O.K. to the mistakes poor execution part....I have 2 Stong reasons as to why that is the Coaches fault......The 1st being in the run game,,,as we know our OL is not great yet we run the same running play,blocked the exact same way,from the exact same set at least 80% of the time,,,and that's a low percentage I am sure.......How in your mind does the OC not take responsibility for that???

On to part #2....Many experts and fans a like agree that Ben is not a great pre snap read QB.....So add that to the Average OL and why would we ever go empty set with long routes?To further add to this point name me 1 WR on the Team who is biggger than the DB'S and also faster???You can't which also makes the 5 WR set a serious disadvantage,,as the D simply mans up and waits for there front 7 to get to the QB against our average OL....How is this not a responsibility of the OC to avoid??

As to the philosiphy part and the new age ,i will just lump these together.......GB is a great PA Team and a great passing Team.....NO is also a great PA Team and a great passing Team....The Pats also use the PA pass greatly......Why or how can these Teams do this and we can not???I know the complete answer ,but I am interested in your take before I elaborate.....

Now lets Look at the Texans still winning without a starter type QB.....Now lets look at San Fran ,,,they also win with less than an elite QB.....Lets also take a look at the Rats with Flacco,,,,is there any doubt in your mind that Ben is much better?Yet they still win......Why do you think they continue to win games?????And last but certainly not least is the Broncos ,,,,they changed the whole scheme to fit 1 guy and they are winning.....The reason I bring that up is if a scheme change can help a QB lead a Team then does it not make sense that a scheme change for the Steelers who have a better D a better WR core,a better group of RB'S and certainly a better QB would change the way we look on tape????

You are right there are many ways to win in the NFL and on O we have totally went the wrong way.....What will it take for you to see that???

Just so you know I love the pass as much as the next guy ,,,but it needs to be in the frame work of a total Offensive Attack.....BA can't wait for 3rd. and long because he wants to be a passing Guru......Call me old fashioned if you want to ,,,,to me he should be striving to be a winning Guru,,,instead of blaming the O for execution ,,,how about designing plays that will help them execute better instead of calling plays that he thinks will always work,,,if only they would execute.......A lot more Arrogant than us different approach guys if you ask me.....

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    As much as I dislike Bruce Arians playcalling in general,
    I would have to say that the player`s execution (specifically, lack thereof), was more responsible for only putting up 13 points against the Chiefs.
    Mendy`s fumble, dropped balls in and out of the endzone, and Ben`s int cannot be blamed on the playcalling, IMHO...
    I have seen him call much worse games, Although I agree that we should NEVER go with an empty set behind our O-line, unless we are planning a screen, or IMMEDIATE pass from the time Ben gets the ball, (and we all know how much we love the "bubble screen", around here;) )

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

It was both, however if MeMo doesn't fumble and Wallace doesn't drop the touchdown the score would have been out of reach and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Players have to execute.

19. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I miss him too. KevDude was the man, he also hated BA with a serious passion!! And rightfully so.....

20. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point. :-D

21. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    PWP, as always you make it so plain and clear. How much more can you break it down for these people? You are 100% correct about everything you said. I agree with you another 100% because you break it down so that the average/command fan can understand. Those that disagree don't have much football knowledge. Command sense would tell the average/command football fan that the offense is not working like they thought it would in the pre season. They thought that they had this great passing game because of our receivers, but what happened? Its a bust for many reason, but mostly because of our great OC Arians. The first thing that should be recognized is that he has no knowledge of how to develop a solid rushing attack. That is obvious because he is trying to run the ball out of a one back set. Also because he got rid of all the legit Full Backs for blocking purposes. That was his intentions because he wanted to change the philosophy to a passing offense. Trying to do what all the guru's are saying about todays NFL being a passing league. I just scream sometimes when they get down inside the 10 yard line and start passing, one back and empty sets. They never line up in the I formation or off set I and slide a blocker down the line and run it with Redman who would score most of the time. If they run it three times and don't get in, something would be wrong. I bet anything that if they would line up and just pound the ball with Redman running, they would get 7 points most of the time. BA refuses to do it. He does all kinds of stupid stuff down in the red zone. One of the stuip things he did against the Chief was to let Moore run the ball inside the 10, that was just dumb. How about putting your horse in there to run the ball (Redman). Also, evertime he lines up in that one back set and that empty set in the red zone, its just plain stupid.

I'm sick and tired of this guy. He is talking about coming back next year. I hope its as a college head coach at Miss St. and not the Steelers. My feeling is that the Steelers will never win another Super Bowl as long as BA is the OC. I fell that the old system was a better fit for the players that the Steelers have. It still is, especially if they use Redman right. All they need is a legit Full Back and a better starting Running Back along with ,Redman as a two headed monster and everything will be back to normal. Focus on the run like the old days with a 15, 16 hundred yard rushing attack among two backs with a 60/40 run to pass ratio. I think Ben is best when he throws the ball 25 times a game. If you want to add more passing, let him throw it only 30 times a game or less. The rest should be the running game, especially at Heinz Field when the weather gets cold. Thats what I think the team should be built for.

I remember the days when the Steelers would run the ball in the forth quarter and close out the game. Troy Polumala said it best, our defense is at its best when we are on the sidelines watching the offense drive the ball down the field. Its not that way with this current offense and OC. They are a 3 and out offense, pass, pass, pass, and punt!!!

So lets start calling BA and our offense the 3 and out pass, pass, pass, punt CREW!!!!!!!

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I will venture to say that most teams run a handful of run plays. The Steelers of the past ran a handful of rush plays. Much like the Steelers of today, they changed it up here and there. There's no mystery to running the football. You line up get a hat on a hat and run the ball. The problem is the Steelers don't have good enough players up front at this point to run well consistently.

If players aren't good enough, they aren't good enough. If you believe the Oline is average, there's nothing the coaches can do except attempt to coach them up. That task has become more difficult because of limited practice time in pads. It surely didn't help that injuries ruined any chances the Oline had of developing any continuity.

If Ben is not a great pre snap read QB, there's not much the coaches can do. Lining up in 2 or 3WR sets isn't going to improve Ben's ability to read pre snap. Going empty set makes Ben's reads more defined. That's because the defense is spread. They also hope to create some favorable match ups out of the formation. All the routes in the empty set were not long. Plenty of teams go 5WR that don't have big WR's. Since when is having a big WR been a criteria for lining with 5WR 's? I get it, you don't like the 5 WR set. I am not a fan of the 5 WR set myself. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean they should not line up in the set. Ben likes the formation and they had success out of the formation. It's not all bad as you appear to believe. It's not like they line up in 5WR every down. Learn to separate you personal feelings or philosophy from the situation.

I am not sure if NO or GB are great PA teams. I don't watch all their games. I do know those teams have better QB's then the Steelers. Having those caliber of QB's makes every player on offenses better and the coaches jobs easier. The Steelers use the play action pass with some success. The numbers show Steelers run the ball better then the Pats and the Packers.

Ben is an inconsistent QB. The Steelers offense suffers as a result. We've seen what the offense did when Ben plays well. We've seen how the offense performed when he played poorly. No way for the coaches to know which Ben will show up. We've seen what happened when all the offensive players stink it up like they did vs the Chiefs. There's just not enough consistency from the QB position to make the Steelers offense a top 5 scoring unit. I've learned to accept that and so should everybody else. People can't because they believe that Ben is better then he shows on the field on a week to week basis.

Those teams win various ways. Mostly behind great defense. There's more then one way to win in the NFL or in any sport. Haven't you figured that out by now? Speaking offensively, those team's scoring offenses don't perform much better then the Steelers.

It doesn't matter what scheme is implemented if the players don't execute. The players didn't execute vs the Chiefs. The players made to many mistakes on the offensive side of the football vs the Chiefs. Dropped passes, poorly thrown passes, blocking, penalties, ect are fundamentals and fall at the feet of the players.

You don't know what BA can wait for. If anything, he attempts to keep the offense out of 3rd and long with his approach at times. Winning Guru? Haven't the Steelers won a lot of games with BA as OC? They did some good things offensively with BA as OC. They made some good and bad personnel decisions with BA's input as part of this coaching staff. It's not ALL BAD. How can you be a coach if you continue to focus on the negatives?

Look, all coaches design plays they believe their players can and should execute. What should coaches do when players don't make blocks, drop passes, give the ball away, commit penalties ect? Chiefs game as a bad offensive performance. It happens. Steelers were a good enough team to win the game.