1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bunch of dropped passes didnt help.

Fact is he threw two TD passes, something Pickett I don’t think ever did. He gave them the lead with 4 minutes left. Which by the way is another improvement, Fields usually shrinks in the fourth qtr.

It was his worst game to date and you want to bail on him at the first sign of trouble for a guy who is well past his prime and whos last team ate 80 million to get rid of him. He’s not 25 year old Wilson. If hes not washed hes pretty damn close to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it was 2 dropped, maybe 3. Happens every week to QB's. He misses reads and throws all day. He does not see the field well. He may never.

Russ can see the field. I think he can, anyhow. Fields only throws a fastball. He has MUCH to learn. Russ can throw it fast and soft. Deep and short.

Fields was not strong vs. ATL. the D won it, got us in great field position for BOZ to drill some FG's. Fields did little vs. DEN except to not screw up. We lucked out vs. the Chargers that Herbert went down

our Red Zone efficiency is bottom of barrel - most of Tomlins tenure, it has been. Tomlin is always the problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think it was 4. Not gimmies but all passes that WR should make.

Tomlin is the problem yet you are blaming Fields. Old man Wilson won’t fix the problem and he sure as hell ain’t leading them to a SB. You can put away that pipe dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    After initial game reactions, I believe Fields does give us the best chance to win with his mobility.
    We lost back to back games by a total of 6 points. OL needs to gel, need Warren back for the 1-2 punch.
    It’s unfair, that others including me, judge Fields for his previous play at Chicago.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Wilson might end up being a paraplegic playing behind this O line .

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ding ding ding. I honestly don’t know what people are thinking. Wilson is not a stand in the pocket quick throw QB. He’s not going to neutralize a pass rush by getting the ball out quickly, it’s not his game. He leaves the pocket as much as Pickett did. He’ll be running for his life. That shot Fields took would have crippled Wilson.

8. Antioch

Antioch New Member

Oct 7, 2024
    Bear fan here. Ahoy, hoy friends.

What I think you’re missing is that Fields is arguably the most talented QB in the league when the game is broken down into individual components. People forget that; nobody talks about it.

Sure, when piecing those components together as one is required to do to play football, it’s not always pretty. But it would be a disaster to move on from him at this point in favor of a guy who wears eye black and full pads as a DNP - Washed.

Another thing people forget and nobody talks about is that the Bears were tanking in Fields’ early years. Had he been in Pittsburgh all along he’d probably be the love child of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson by now.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. The difference in the D means nothing????
    No difference in a number 1 Defense, and a number 27 Defense??? Good to know.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same thing everyone said about Mason. He has no mobility.
    You know what. How did Qbs throughout the history of the NFL be able to play without mobility......did Defenses just now start rushing the Qb????
    Tell me if Wilson starts scoring more points automatically....what will the excuses be....will it be the same as everyone else that was wrong said last year.....oh that was easy teams???
    I'm not saying He will be better.....I'm saying we owe this team to find out, and not wait till the last 3 games like last year. Be that Russell, or Allen. What are You afraid of???

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Right. Russ will get sacked 5 or 6 times a game with that o-line. I'd be all for starting Wilson at this point if they had a decent o-line, but they don't.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They are thinking Wilson is far better at reading defenses. He is more accurate. He actually has some ability to put touch on a throw, something Fields can't do. Seriously, how does a quarterback get to his fourth year in the NFL and he can't throw anything but line drives?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think it is fair to call all of those drops. The one to Heyward early in the game was overthrown. He did a great job getting his hands on it. Pickens usually catches balls like the one that went through his hands, but that was another of those line drives from Fields and it was high. The second so-called drop by Heyward was a great play by the defender. Perfectly-timed punch right on the ball. The one to Jefferson wasn't easy, but that was a drop. Unfortunately, that isn't going to get any better because Khan foolishly left the Steelers counting on that scrub at receiver.

Fields could have made better throws on the first one to Heyward and the one to Pickens. Those are on him, too. Even the one that was punched out against Heyward, he threw to the wrong guy. Freiermuth was wide open around the same distance down field. Easier throw and catch. Fields made the wrong decision, creating the opportunity for the defender to make a play.

This thread may be a moot point, anyway. I didn't see the press conference, but Tomlin supposedly said Wilson will be working with the second string to avoid disrupting Fields' preparation, so it looks like the job belongs to Fields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fields Fan 4ever

Fields Fan 4ever New Member

Oct 8, 2024
    We must stick with Fields, a future HoF. Extend him now.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Neither Wilson nor Fields is anywhere close to Ben in ability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I’m so enjoying that SB victory that Rudolph brought us. Oh wait, no, I meant I’m so enjoying that long awaited playoff victory, oh wait, no, never mind.

And Wilson is not the same style QB as Rudolph. Do you even watch him play. As said in my last post, Wilson is not a sit in the pocket and deliver quick passes. So yeah, mobility is kind of an issue here.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with reading defenses but Fields throws a very good deep ball. The throw to Heyward hit him on the palms, that was a good pass. Ben said Heyward should have just ran through the catch instead of diving but even still he said Heyward should have caught that. He’s made a number of other good passes as well, hasn’t been all fast balls.

Wilson isn’t all that accurate anymore, just dial up some games and see for yourself or listen to what Denver fans have said about him or Schlereth for that matter, the later carrying more weight. He absolutely crucifies him. I think people feel they are getting 25 year old Wilson.

18. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Fields definitely has his warts. He's looked better this year than in the past, but it's tough to judge him when the rest of the offense is such a mess. 3 OL out for the year, one decent WR (who also happens to be a diva headache), no real run game to speak of with Warren out.

I do think it's unfair to expect any QB to thrive in the Steelers offense, given how little the team has invested in it. I think they'll be better in the next couple of years once all the young Oline picks have time to learn and gel, but this year is going to be ugly no matter who is under center.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We haven't seen him lead this team. Chicago let their 11th overall pick in the draft to for near nothing. I want neither last this year. We need points not hopes. :cool:

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

both are problems

just like last year

it's never just 1 problem

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Russell Wilson will take full practice with the second team this week

Fields will take first team reps

Fields will start

That’s all I have to say about that

jeh Gump

22. Antioch

Antioch New Member

Oct 7, 2024
    Yup, that’s what my guy says too.

Fields needs better support in the run game, a few more weapons and a better line. Improved play calling wouldn’t hurt.

He’s the type of guy you extend, not somebody to sit after 5 dominant games.

23. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    We shouldve won both these last two games, Austin, Tomlin, Smith all played not to lose and lost

And Fields is not good enough to overcome our deficiencies. Ben was, Wilson might be.

24. Antioch

Antioch New Member

Oct 7, 2024
    Fields can propel the ball forward in the air with his arm in a way Russ may not be able to. People forget about that.

Russ will be doing high knees at halftime down three scores trying to motivate people who hate him. Fields is a leader of men.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wilson’s deep ball will keep teams from crowding the line, it will help the run game.

Fields=Rudolph=Pickett … just move on to something better.