1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You can say that again. I think we have seen a lot of what Fields can bring. He is a very limited passer. He doesn't read defenses well. They can cut him loose and see him start turning the ball over more like he did in Chicago or they can continue to restrict him and watch the offense plod along ineffectively like it has most of this season. I guess you do the former if you are ready to throw in the towel on this season, but the Steelers aren't going to do that at 3-2 and tied for first in the North.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So then you agree Pickett sucked and they were right to kick him to the curb. Because its the same Goddamn offense philosophy holding Fields back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Kyle Allen only played 2 plays, but was able to move the ball down the field, by using the middle of the field behind this offensive line.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Fields completed several passes after Allen went back to the bench. I think we scored on that drive.

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't think the Steelers have the QB of 2025 on the roster.
    They could let both of these fly the coop in Free Agency.

Part of me says "Dammit" because they did NOT truly commit to these QB's by filling out the WR roster.
    and/or they might be limiting what Auther does. I am not sure.
    Authur likes to run the ball, get play-action working, toss some deep balls to keep defenses honest...
    I don't think this offense is even remotely related to Canada's crap but it is not doing much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And then Fields came back in the game and did the same thing and scored a TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not really. I think the Steelers handled him very poorly then gave up on him too quickly. I think they spent two years taking away his aggressiveness and it showed in the anemic results.

Fields already had three years in the NFL. During that time, he had flashes because he is a great physical talent, but he ultimately he was bad enough that the Bears gave him away for pocket change. He had more time and was no better. He is still showing some of the same issues he had in Chicago. If anything, what the limitations are doing to Fields supports my previous thought that coaching and system Tomlin prefers played a very big role in Pickett's lack of development in year two.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    then went right back to outside the numbers. bad decisions of where he went with the ball on way too many plays. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly and Fields will struggle with poor stats as well until Tomlin changes that.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And I saw receivers dropping passes :shrug:

11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    It's sad to say, but that's the best thing to me about our QB situation. We aren't in the least committed to either of these guys. It's like getting 2 veterans on a free trial basis for a year, and if you don't like them you can return them for a full refund no questions asked. I say drive them like you'd drive a rental car. Like Seinfeld said, "yeah you better give me the full insurance, because I'm gonna beat the hell out of this thing."

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i also saw passes not being put on them. that's the problem no flow. one good one one bad one. command of the offense has to be gained by someone. i don't care what their name is. make it flow. :cool:

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that they did not put the quarterbacks in a good position due to their failure to acquire a No. 2 receiver. They have one of the worst wide receiver groups in the NFL and it is going to make it difficult for any quarterback.

That said, Fields got away with a couple of ugly mistakes that could have been intercepted early and he missed on some open opportunities as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How many systems does Fields have to struggle in before we start thinking he isn't the answer? He already failed in one.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He failed in Chicago. Not exactly a well run organization.

If you have talent like Fields, you don’t contain it, you unleash it. Ya’ll afraid of turnovers. Ben turned the ball over plenty. Let the guy play.

We’ve seen this bs system fail and fail and fail, enough.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They aren’t going to win playing this baby **** offense. Open things up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If they are going to go anywhere this season, then Wilson needs to start against the Raiders. If people are going to excuse Fields' performance in Chicago because it was a bad situation, then how can you throw Wilson under the bus for what happened with his tenure in Denver? They need to see of Wilson is capable of getting better results out of what there is to work with. At this point, all Fields is living off of is athleticism, potential and some flashes. It isn't sustainable.

To me, right now and today, Wilson is still the better QB and Scribe is right. The Steelers shouldn't be de facto throwing in the towel on this season to see of Fields is their QB of the future. If Wilson is healthy, then he needs to start next week. A competent Wilson very likely could have scored enough points with the extra possessions they were gifted last night to win the game.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2024
  18. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Plenty of guys open. Your savior named Fumble Fields has no clue how to find them. One read and scramble is his M.O. for his entire career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

much of that is where he is throwing the ball. the cowgirls had 8 receivers with double digit average against us, we had 2. these plays have receivers at different levels on a given play, if he doesn't throw the ball there it's the offenses fault. when he does throw the ball there it's the offenses fault? friermuths hands should be raw from catching passes. he had 3 targets and 3 receptions. only 2 of those were from fields. the other TE had 2 targets and 1 catch the other was well over a 6-7 man. not the offenses fault. most of this is direct result of fields not being able to read the defense for the best matchup so he throws to the easy one or just puts the ball in the general area not matter how many defenders are there. his completions are mostly timing routes in his first or second read. the first one he knows where that guy will be. he knows him running it is part of the play and looks to it because it's easier for him. :cool:

20. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    THIS. Nothing will change, probably not winning a playoff game until 2030 or later as the most overrated head coach of our lifetime will probably get extended...again in 2026 or something.
    So I suggest giving Steeler football only a cursory glance a few times in the fall until the banner day Tomlin is canned or mercifully decides its just time to move on and make another NFL franchise a running joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, its not and this crap philosophy began in Bens last years here. And people still blaming the QB’s.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that they should open things up, but I'm not sure Fields can handle that without an overwhelming number of turnovers. No matter what system they run, the offensive line is still a mess and they still only have one wide receiver who belongs in an NFL starting lineup.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I only recall Heyward, dropped a key ball. Well, it was PUNCHED out. what other dropped passes were there?

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just cannot believe Rooney extended the current regime. it is broken, incapable of being elite.

25. DIzzyG3015

DIzzyG3015 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2022
    good takes but honestly, I can not hear these „next year new offense“ rhetorics anymore. We have been saying this for 5 years and still it is more or less the same all over again