1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fields may be our future - 2025 and beyond. I don't know.

Tomlin offenses suck, year after year. I loathed hearing the announcers say that Tomlin and Smith are on the same page on offense. that means: "We will plan (game-plan, practice, attempt) to score 13 - 17 points and PRAY TO GOD that our defense can force 3 turnovers , block a FG or two and Katie bar the door at the goal line.

Tomlin remains the ONE CONSTANT on this team and with our offense.

3 points AGAIN in the first half. pure suck! another one of the worst offenses in league, after 5 games. YES, we MISS WARREN!

D did it's job early, got them the TO's and at one point (inc. the blocked FG), I heard we were 1 of 9 on third down, and this was with a decimated Dallas defense

Tomlin sucks - I really don't know what more Rooney wants to see. I had seen enough years ago. MANY things I like about him but RINGS are what I want. He plays and coaches like it is 2003.

this is your 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers. Good enough maybe to win 8 or 9, but mediocre again.

Play Russ. Let's see if he can find these WR's. Fields has one pass - a fastball. No touch, just darts. He is young, much to learn. Full rebuild AGAIN on offense next offseason, it appears.

NOW - let the excuses for MikeyT fly!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Wilson better feel better get him out there

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    No good excuses for Tomlin from me. His strategy is trash.

And hard not to want to see something else. Lets see what Russ can do. I doubt it will be much with this OL, but can't let him sit and wonder what might have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This game was weird from the start with the rain delay. The offense was non-existent in the first half. It's become a trend for the Steelers.... no offense until the 2nd half.

Don't even get me started on the defense. Free agent pickups at CB, SS and ILB played very poorly last night. I don't have to list their names. Everyone knows.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fields is not the future. I would let Wilson start.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I know Elliott was beaten on both touchdowns, but I have a very hard time blaming him for last night's debacle. On the first one, he slipped on the wet turf. There's not much you can do about that. On the second, he was put in a mismatch on a wide receiver and the quarterback had way too much time to throw. Despite the pick play, he was still in decent position to hit the receiver and grab his arms as the ball got there.

Queen, on the other hand, was terrible. He was always a step slow. He looks like a bust so far. Jackson was horrible. Sure, he caught an interception thrown right to him, but that's about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Russ will be "cooked" if he plays behind this O line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Russie won't hold the ball for 5 seconds and he won't look like a deer in headlights on passing plays. But if you like losing to inferior teams then by all means keep rolling out Fumble Fields on Sundays. Bwahahahahahahahaha

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

so.....4 TO's, they created. i am including the blocked FG.

they play BEND and NOT BREAK. that TOO is TOMLIN.

Blitzburgh is DEAD. Burn the tee shirts, we can only hold it in our MEMORIES. the D is being wasted.

Tomlin (whom in many respects I like) IS the problem on both sides of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Maybe. He can throw downfield, can throw a slant, can read quicker and react.

But yes - the O is in SERIOUS trouble.

I thought maybe we would move from ~27th in the league to around 20. that is not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    No QB is saving this offense. It's trash.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would start Wilson but the results will not be much different. The problems on this team are much bigger than who is going to play QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    No QB would thrive in this offense, even Mahomes would struggle. We probably have the worst receiving core in the league. Our #1, Pickens, is still pretty raw and an absolute headcase. After him, there is literally nobody worth a damn. Look at the game tape. Nobody gets open. The only guy who can make difficult catches is Pickens, and you never know where his head is going to be from one play to the next. We have underutilized tight ends, but freiermuth isnt elite by any stretch.

And then of course our oline is shaky. It seems like half the time there's a defender running straight through chasing Fields as soon as he catches the shotgun snap.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    So Russie is going to magically get people open is he?

Fields is holding the ball because guys can't get open, he's trying to make things happen, this offense will look exactly the same with Wilson at QB. You know why? becasuse this is what it's looked like for freaking years...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    kyle allen looked pretty good as i said this preseason. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are times Fields is holding it because they aren't open. There are other times he is just missing his opportunities by either not seeing them quickly enough or simply making poor throws. Two of the drops, the deep ball to Heyward and the third-down pass to Pickens in the third quarter, were throws that were off the mark. Maybe they come up with those balls if he makes better throws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you can't over throw them when they are open. reading the defense is not a fields strength. never was. still isn't. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

that is on Tomlin (#1) above and Smith.

the PLAN was to go ALL IN on defense. and for 4 or 5 weeks, they have DONE THEIR JOB. Offense sucked last night.

Yes, OLINE is beat up but we can 'play' with those 5 last night. no creativity with this offense. Has Tomlin's conservative fingerprints all over it. Goal for first half, week in and week out: SCORE 3.

miss Warren tremendously

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Trafalgar

Sep 26, 2016
    We'll see what strengths RW has in this offense, with one headcase WR and little else.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm one of the biggest Pro-Russell Wilson advocates on this board and even I see that he won't be much, if any improvement over Fields. The O line and WR corps is subpar at this point. I don't see much room for improvement.

The schedule looks even more brutal now.... with Giants and Commanders winning. Commanders will win by 3 scores with their offense and Steelers won't be able to move the ball on their D. Jets and Raiders games will be a struggle to win at this point.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - it is time. Save the add'l draft picks for Fields, not worth it for 2024. Going nowhere, again.

get ready for 2025.....

25. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I’d start Wilson but I don’t expect the results to be markedly better. The O has multiple issues that a QB change won’t magically fix.

1. The Oline sucks. Partly due to injury, partly due to lack of experience, but they’re overall just plain bad at both run blocking and pass blocking.

2. Najee sucks as a feature back. The team desperately needs a healthy Warren back to keep teams honest. Najee can only run up the middle and opponents know this now.

3. The WRs are collectively one of the worst groups in the whole league. Pickens has his good days and bad days. I’m not sure he’s a true number 1 but he’s far and away the best WR on the team. After that it’s Austin (who’s more suited to special teams and being a WR4), Jefferson and Miller (two castoffs no one else really wanted).

4. Overall lack of experience. When Daniels went down against Indy, the entire starting offense was playing on their rookie contracts. Several are in the final year of those deals but that’s still a brutal lack of experience on the offensive side of the ball.

The bottom line is this team is built to win on D. They just haven’t invested enough in the O. They’ve changed that a bit in the last couple of drafts but those investments will take time to pay off. In the meantime the O will continue to struggle because it has no difference makers.