1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play calling

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bettissb40, Nov 15, 2019.

1. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know maybe someone on this board that played in the NFL can answer my question. What would happen to me as a QB decided to choose to ignore the play calling and called my own plays and they all worked well. What would happen? Suspend me, fine me or fire the OC and give me the job. Mason is to young yet to think that way but I’m sure Ben has thought about it a few times.

2. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Coach Randy has to go. His play call selection is god awful and I think he is holding back whatever progression Rudolph can and will make this year. The guy was hand picked by Ben as his own personal stooge to be OC and just has no business being an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He is god awful and should be replaced at seasons end.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bettissb40.

I harped on this several time already. The third and one in the early part of the fourth quarter and they call for a bomb ala Bruce Arians. At that point, we had only seven and that in part was gifted to us by I believe four Brown penalties. Better Choice: run two running plays to get one yard and a new set of downs. STEELWINDS

4. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Our O-Line looks soooo weak as well.. Did Munchak really make that much of a difference?? Last year we looked rather good there, and now its like we got all new players on the line..

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The playcalling definitely seems suspect. But the execution of the plays has been downright terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Absolutely

And to the OP, I didn't play in the NFL. I walked on in college and coached HS. I'm going to hazard a guess anyway. You are given the liberty to check out of plays, even at MR's level. So there is already play-changing built in to your role. But that is limited and the reigns are only very gradually loosened through experience and performance.

I did wonder at one point if MR wouldn't just call a qb sneak on his own.

As far as repercussions, at the NFL level, it depends on the qb. Ben could do it and MT wouldn't say much. MR would get a pretty good chewing. If he did it again, I doubt they would punish him, but it would get ugly. 3rd time would probably draw some disciplinary action.

But all that is contingent on the success of the play. Success changes everything.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Injuries and inexperience aside, this team is not playing situational football IQ wise on O. Short yardage situations=bombs away or running from shotgun formations... It's ridiculous at any level. Even with the execution being wonkey, the situational play calling they're administering is asinine from the get go making it that much harder to even execute!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Situational football does not exist in this dojo!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Maybe they need to hire an analytics guy to groom the staff on the percentages of success when you actually put yourself in the neighborhood of a high percentage outcome rooted in the fundamentals of situational football?

Move the damn chains!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I need to trademark that hahahahahaha never gets old

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I got this from SBNation -

As for the starting offensive line, Matt Feiler is the youngest at 27 years old. The only other player under 30 on the Steelers’ o-line is David DeCastro who is 29 and will turn 30 in January.

Some of the problems on offense could start there as some here have also stated.

12. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    This offense has no structure. It was meant for Ben's style of football.

If Tomlin is the coach next year, he needs to hire the best OC available.

If Ben doesn't like it...tough. He can retire or demand a trade to TB to be with his buddy Arians.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I may be old school, but tough situations like last night, my first instinct is to go Cowher Power...run the ball even if it isn’t working because eventually they will crack.

I’m still shocked we threw it on 3rd and 1 and then again on 4th and 1... just seems like the coaches are oblivious.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Execution and talent and age and leadership are all bad.

Line sucks.
    Talent level sucks.

Sherman gone.
    Starrett gone.

We need a rb, wr, fb, OT, interior o-lineman, qb coach. :cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The O has gone soft and it’s been this way for years. The lack of short yardage success is the result. No QB sneaks for years=soft.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not willing to say the o-line sucks, the receivers suck, or the running backs suck just yet. At this point, I still believe it comes down to Mason. It isn't just one receiver dropping passes, they all are. It isn't just one lineman struggling, it is all of them at different times. Running back is its own weird animal. Mason is the common denominator in my opinion. Nothing seems to be gelling. This is why I have kind of given up on Mason.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The team is stale and without imagination. That is why in times like these you need to do a reset and get new leadership in to shake things up from another perspective. Otherwise, I promise you we will continue to see this same style of football next year and beyond. I don't remember any of Tomlin's coaching hires going on to be head coaches or even coordinators at other teams. There isn't or ever will be a Tomlin coaching tree like other coaches of Tomlin's tenure. Does't that seem odd? And Arian's wasn't a Tomlin hire I don't believe. Who knows of a coach we have on board right now that you would want for your teams head coach? I can't think of any.