1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play calling v Chiefs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pellynch14, Jan 15, 2017.

1. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I know we won but what was up with play calling on the our first kick of the game and inside the 30 on offense. 2nd and 2 and I think on the first or second drive and we don't run Bell, why throw the ball on the 5 yard line on 1st down, and several times on 3 and 1 but no use of Nix to block. Was it just me or did others feel the same?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah that was weak and so was the first and goal throw that got picked.... we should've run more down there. We cost ourselves plenty of points today. Oh well, hopefully we saved all the TD's for next week

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I really think a couple of those, and definitely the tippeD pick, was Ben on his own. I'll be interested to hear if I'm correct in post game presser

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The first kick off was absolutely terrible coaching. Giving the team a short field is not a good idea, I don't care who is standing in the end zone.

The passes in the goal line situations were I think audibles. The empty set on 3rd and goal was a play call, albeit not a very good one. At least put Bell in the back field to make them think he might be the option

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That tipped pass int in the endzone might have been Ben opting to throw because of single coverage on the WR :facepalm:.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Charles Barkley says"terrible"

7. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't understand our first kick and giving them the ball at the 45. We acted scared of Hill from the get go, kick to him and if he beats us he beats us. That first td came from giving them the field pos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    We were just tricking the pats into thinking we will pass next week

• Like Like x 1
  9. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    2nd & 2 at the 4 or 5 and I was screaming at the TV " Just give it to bell !!" "Just give it to Bell !!" I felt the Steelers unnecessarily turned this game into a nail-biter. We blew great chances at getting 7 more than once tonight. However- we did win so that's what matters.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was hoping for 3 straight runs there to capitalize off that turnover but what can you do....

6 FGs by Boz giving him some confidence going down the final stretch is a plus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah the empty backfield and 5 wide gave me a BA flashback and almost caused my head to explode. Dance with the one that brought you people!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Terrible play calling in redzone, it will have to change if we are to have a chance next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It was a called play, Big Al picked up the wrong guy. If you don't believe that then why was it an empty set? I agree with everyone else though, why the empty sets near the goal line, why no naked bootlegs, why no full back in front of Bell?? You know why??? Because it works when the practice against their own secondary of could cover a night stand if they were a table cloth.

14. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That's the only complaint really you can have in this game. The play calling in the red zone being horrible and Haley trying to outsmart himself like he does time and time again.

15. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Hated that first kick. Yelled before it was even returned. Borders on truly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that drives me nuts when they empty the backfield that close to a fist down, not to mention the goal line. 2nd and two from the 4 and we don't even make them have to defend a possible run? really? :facepalm::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Sometimes in trying to outsmart the other team we outsmart ourselves. Seems to happen way too much.

18. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    tear-a-bull. crying jordan.

19. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Thank God for Boswell and our D. I don't understand Haley. The red zone play calling was terrible. We have a killer O-line and one of the top backs in the NFL. Use him for all he's worth. When we're determined to pass in crowded conditions deep in their territory, we don't even seem to give the slightest hint of play-action. I hope they plan better for this Sunday.

20. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    This is either Haley out coaching himself or giving Ben too much leeway in calling plays. There is ZERO reason for turning away from Bell when you're in the redzone.

What really pissed me off was the second series and and we go 5 wide on a 2nd and goal at the 5. At the very least: Don't tell the defense you are 100% going to pass it!

• Agree Agree x 1