1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning for the future

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrock151, Jan 20, 2023.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    In 2023, the Steelers had the youngest offense in the league, coming in at 25.3 years old. Bill Barnwell posted a "snap rated" age ranking for every team this year, and the average age on each play.
    The oldest starters at the end of the year on the offense were Mason Cole, Kevin Dotson, and Dionte Johnson, who are all 26. Shockingly the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the oldest offense in the league, at 28.7 years old.

Defensive is looking downright gray in comparison. 27.5 years old, 5th oldest in the league. Maybe we will be going D heavy in the draft.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steelers-averaged-youngest-offense-nfl-021518768.html

• Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Which is why I'm excited for our chances the next few years.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Defense is older but ain’t exactly old. These guys will be in their prime for a few more seasons, theres real opportunity to take advantage of Picketts rookie contract.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We need replacements for alualu and Wormley. Probably will need a replacement for ogunjobi as well. Top that off we need to start looking for cam’s replacement

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this has to be the case.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep , but we need more big plays , being able to strike quick is how you beat bad teams or Teams you should beat ...I hope the play design gets better so we can get more YAC yards ..So maybe we draft a big play type like Jalin Hyatt as he is a RB type runner after the catch and his top end speed will force Defenses to back off the LOS ...

I think he will be the 2nd. WR off the board but the top WR is going in that 17 to 22 range IMO...This could allow us to trade back a few spots and still get our young QB a weapon that could really help him...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    You always walk that line of needing older more experienced players to lead and know how to deal with situational football and young players being lead and learning. That said, it is great to have good young players and watching them grow.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Get younger on both lines with draft picks. And throw in a corner back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very important, that those top 3 picks in upcoming draft
    Must produce quickly and fa must produce quickly also.
    If they hit on these we could be in business.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    The oldest member of our o-line is 26

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    That lacks quality depth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Depth is something you worry about at the tail end of the draft

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Too funny, you can't expect that our OL will be injury free
    Like this past year. Bring in quality talent at LT and NG and CB in first 3 picks
    And fill out rest through fa.

14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Better players outweigh age of players. If being young gives you hope, that's great. Hope is a dangerous thing.

To build upon that, if a team had a priority to be young, a team might not go out and get a needed veteran. This team needs both success in free agency and a quality draft. They're still recruiting starters, and then need to build depth.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I disagree to some extent. For example, Cam Heyward was "depth" as he did not start for a few years. He was taken in the first round. Having said that, when he was drafted, the Steelers had the luxury of having a great team.

Obviously, the draft must fill needs, but there is something to be said for the best player available. Often when drafting for needs, they end up reaching. For example, while not a draft expert or even a novice, I tend to believe that drafting Dionte Johnson in the 2nd round was a reach. He may have been there in the 3rd. But drafting Pat Friermuuuuuuuuuth in the 2nd round was an example of the best player available. If you're selecting the best player available in the first 2 rounds, there's a chance you get a guy that doesn't start right away and thus starts out as "depth."

• Like Like x 1
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You’re going to be singing the blues in may

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe, but I can hope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Well then get better on the Oline. Either way, draft Oline

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    A mean aggressive OL that wants to run block. And An immovable NG that can protect ILB from getting washed out
    by massive opposing OL. This frees ILB to run and hit people.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are gonna get a whoopin in '23 for the three west coast games. Popcorn will not have them prepared. San Diego is the only west coast venue Steelers can win at....and it doesn't exist anymore.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I thought we had 4 trips out west this year in the 1st 6 weeks of the season? I predicted them to start the season on fire.

22. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Was just talking to my friends and we think there should be a 30 for 30 on how giselle created the patriots dynasty. I know tom is ultra competetive, but not sure hed take team friendly deals if she didnt make more than him.

23. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I dunno. While he does have elite size, sadly he's dead.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unless the Steelers bring somebody in from the outside, the play design will not get any better. Canada is incapable of designing anything other than what we’ve seen and there is no one on the current staff who can provide anything substantive to the offensive gameplanning. Mike Sullivan? Mike Tomlin? They must get outside help for the offense! Keeping Canada was a huge disappointment but I’m still holding out hope that we’ll bring somebody in from the outside who can help with the offensive play calling and design, particularly in the passing game. Canada might throw in a new wrinkle here and there but we can expect essentially the same few plays that we’ve seen the last two seasons. These are the same plays he designed and ran when he was a college coach, not much has changed. Go back and look at some of the highlights of his college offenses. Look familiar? NFL DCs have no problems defending against a Canada designed offense. Still shocked he was able to keep his job! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Offensive coordinator, then?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3