1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Plan B for the perfect storm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Hiring Haley at the cost of losing Ben is pure insanity !!! That is why I question the hiring.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No problem and I actually agree...As to the speculation stuff this is exactly what I am doing in a worst case scenario....As to the Harrison stuff good catch I meant Reggie Wayne...At least the thread got people thinking and IMO there is nothing wrong with that...

The 1 bonus I could see is the Steelers usually hit at a very high rate with 1st. round picks and Manning is a proven player.....So the Question is his return to form??I really am on Ben's side and hope he will go all in....I believe he will the thread is just a what if he doesn't?And if he doesn't I like our options better this year than in most years....

3. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    \Well I have higher standards for him and this Team I guess....If he was as good in the pocket as he is out how many more could we have??He must learn to become a complete QB if he is to be the complete Winner he should be.....IMO we have missed chances to dominate the NFL.....

People say well it's the NFL it's hard to repeat,well I know it is ,but I believe that you can dominate on any level if you continue to get better..ASU won Back to back,to back championships.....Where they just that much greater than the field??Yes and they stayed healthy enough and proved it......This is what i want from our Team.....A few years of complete domination from start to finish ,before we hit rebuild mode.......As they say on Remember the Titans..'Leave No Doubt'.....[/quote:3vdjzfo9]

What pocket?
    Movies are fake.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    \Well I have higher standards for him and this Team I guess....If he was as good in the pocket as he is out how many more could we have??He must learn to become a complete QB if he is to be the complete Winner he should be.....IMO we have missed chances to dominate the NFL.....

People say well it's the NFL it's hard to repeat,well I know it is ,but I believe that you can dominate on any level if you continue to get better..ASU won Back to back,to back championships.....Where they just that much greater than the field??Yes and they stayed healthy enough and proved it......This is what i want from our Team.....A few years of complete domination from start to finish ,before we hit rebuild mode.......As they say on Remember the Titans..'Leave No Doubt'.....[/quote:vykq1d6p]

What pocket?
    Movies are fake.[/quote:vykq1d6p]

We have a pocket that last about 3 to 4 seconds for the most part and to extend the time on that pocket you have to hit the quick hitters......This is the part of Ben knowing the open guy pre snap and he must study and practice to become that guy....

And Remember the Titans was based on real life,and the season they had did occur in real life,I am also sure a lot of the speeches actually came from real life as well...

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Afan has made a great point, and backed it up with stats. I agree 100%... except for this year. I have watched a lot of Andrew Luck, and he is already an NFL QB. If he steps into a good situation, he will be a 10+ year top 5 QB. He's as close to a lock as you can get. I'd probably prefer Ben over Luck and the 33rd pick, but I'd really have to think long and hard about it.

Not going to happen anyway.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So you want Marvin Harrison? I don't even remember the last time he played. It was like 3 years ago. He's old and washed up now. I'm not sure he could even beat college DB's anymore.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You may be 100% right, but everyone of the top drafted QBs, Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell were ALL can't miss guys at the time. Only in retrospect did these look like poor picks. Tomorrow never knows.

Giving up a known commodity for an uncertain one is a risky proposition. But fans often overvalue draft picks, imagining th exiciting possiblity of what might be over the boring, potentially unsatisifying reality of what is.

But as you say, not going to happen anyway.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I once looked up some stuff on the Virginia HS team in Remember the Titans, The 'reality' is a bit disappointing. Rather than winning the State Title on the last play they actually blew out their opponents something like 35-0. Also the star player who got paralyzed before the big game, actually did get paralyzed in a car accident, but months after the season. So it was based on real life, but very, very loosely, with a lot of artistic license. Hope I didn't ruin anything for anyone.

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    That too...I totally forgot to mention that in my post. Harrison has been retired for a couple years now.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah my bad i meant Wayne,but hey the thread helped to pass the day,one step closer to training camp...

11. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    IF I recall correctly, didn't Cutler go for 2 first rounders a couple years ago, and Carson Palmer who refused to play go for 2 first rounders. Now I'm pretty sure Ben who has been to 3 Super Bowls would go for a little more than a 1 and 2

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Ben and Haley can't get along, then just hand the ball off to Redman...

13. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011
  14. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    "medium sized ben" ? idk something has lost its ring :hmmm:

15. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    No sh*t. If they're planning on cutting Ward, Harrison would have NO chance.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After reading the article on Steelers Depot and listening to the way Ben is still talking,I don't think he gets it...There is no reason for him to take jabs at Haley every time he does a interview,there is no reason for him to keep harping on throwing the ball is a must......I also did not like the way he explained how he Loves a brocken play.....

Also IMO he basically said that I am the QB and if you yell at me I won't respond well,so if Haley is as smart as they say then he better learn not to yell at me.....I am starting to wonder if BA knew that Ben was not Coachable,he stated he didn't want to try and change Ben maybe he knew that you really can't change him?

As I have said all along if Ben is not willing to change his game he is a average QB at best within the next couple of seasons.....We tried to trade him for a 1st. and a 2nd. before I say we try for 2 1st. round picks now......As I stated in the other thread if the next time we heard Ben and he wasn't presenting a united front I would have a huge problem with Ben.....Well I now have that problem and believe he Loves himself and his style of play more than he Loves his Team...If he had true Love for his Team he would be talking to his OC about how to score the ball.he would be talking about how to run the ball better to help the passing game,he would be talking about learning how to make big plays without them being brocken plays.....

Hound me all you want ,but we sould put him on the block even if we don't make the deal.....It is time to let Ben know he doesn't run the Steelers and his HC picked the OC and the OC will not be bowing down to the players.....If Ben was a true team player he would understand that and would be part of making the transition easier instead of stirring the pot in public every chance he gets...

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no i understand why he loves this of line , every play is a sure br :frustrated: oken play

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No reason to put him on the block, you are reading into things that aren't there. Ben has gone on record disputing the notion he doesn't get yelled at, he said he and BA have fought. I keep telling everyone here that just because you don't see it in public doesn't mean its not happening behind closed doors. Most people don't like making a spectacle of themselves in public and I agree with that, keep it private, I don't want to see your dirty laundry.

19. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    great post and I agree with you wholeheardetly. Who would you trade Ben for?
    I definitey want more then a 1st and 2nd round pick for him.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am now leaning towards signing Matt Flynn,after the new info on Manning I think Flynn has great potential.....If we could get Two 1st round picks for Ben I would try and get Decastro to sure up the OL and the 2nd. or 3rd, best QB in the draft or wait until next year...

In response to the other part as far as being yelled at that's BS....Football is a emotional game and when players screw the pooch they need to be told immediately and not in a childishtype manor;it's O.K. you will do better next time I am sure'.....To much of that has been going on as far as Ben is concerned......

I am a Huge Redman fan maybe the biggest ,but when he coughed up the ball I agreed with letting him have it,,,,,it made no difference that he fumbled trying to get more yards and refusing to go down....He lost the FB and deserved to be chewed out about that right then and there and I posted that on this site.....No player is above that IMO.....The way Ben is taking in house poles from the QB'S and then stating you should not yell at the QB they need to keep there head straight,,,I again call BS.....

Any player on the Team could make the same case and it would still be BS to me......IMO Ben is trying to force Haley to Coach him the way he wants to be Coached,and a highly doubt that BA and Ben ever had any harsh words,,,IMO that was just Ben setting the stage to say hey don't do it on the field ,BA never did that he did in private ,but not in public......Everything that I know about being a Coach tells me that's a straight up lie.......I have seen BA rip the RB'S rip the WR'S ans even chastise the OL when things aren't going right,I have no reason to believe that he would not do the same with Ben unless his attitude matches the one Ben seems to have......

I am the Leader all my stuff works if it fails someone else forgot to execute.....Haley needs to set Ben down and rip his butt,and tell him exactly how it's going to be,,,this needs to happen while we still have other ways to go.......If Ben won't agree now he won't agree when the season starts.....Oh and another thing that pissed me off is Ben stating if we go No Huddle I'll make sure it's a pass and then laughed....Joke or no Joke it seems to fit the rest of the stuff he was saying and if it's 3rd. and 1 and he is just going to disregard thw Owner the Coach his Team and the Football Gods in hopes that he can get that warm fuzzy feeling from making a Big Brocken play,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Don't want him on this TEAM....