1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Plan B for the perfect storm

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Feb 14, 2012.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is all just specualtion of course ,but the longer it takes to hear that Ben and Haley are on the same page the greater the chance they are not...So lets just look at a couple of options the Team could have.....

The 1st. being a trade of Ben to get a 1st. and a 2nd. round pick....Not bad IMO as it seems Manning is coming back to form ,,I think he would Love to play here with us....With the status of Wallace we might very well loose him as well ,,,,at which point we could get Manning's guy in Harrison and gain another 1st. round pick for Wallace......I think a WR group of Brown,Sanders,Harrison,Cotchery, and Ward would be a great set to have....We would then have a solid set of skill players and Three 1st. round picks and two 2nd. round picks.....At that point we could rebuild both lines and maybe add another skill player all of which could hopefully help this season.....

As far as option #2 we could take a chance on letting the Ben /Haley thing play out wiithout getting any extra picks or having a solid ,proven QB behind Ben....If we go this route it is a must we upgrade the BU QB spot IMO just in case the wheels fall off mid season.....

IMO this year is very unique with one of the best QB'S to ever play the game becoming available....I think most would agree that Manning is better than Ben and I do believe Manning will be at full stregth by week 6 or so.....I guess my question is would you take the chance on him and gain the 2 extra picks if Ben isn't fully on board in the next little bit???

Again I am not saying he isn't or that he won't be ,,,just what if he doesn't??I like plan A a lot and I bet that Art and Haley would not be opposed to such a plan either....

My hope is Ben goes all in as soon aas possible and meets with Haley and Rooney and forgets about the BA years.....IMO if he shows signs of clinging to the old to much he might force the hand of the Team.....Even if he has some doubts about the new hire and the new sytem he needs to keep that in private and show a united front in public.....As stated the longer he takes to do that the more of a chance there is a problem ............

2. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Manning Neck prob + our line = Chris Reeves!

3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Who does Christopher Reeves wish he was?
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Christopher Walken...

(When Christopher Reeves was alive of course.)

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think Ben and Haley will find a working relationship. I don't expect them to ever be "close" like he was with Arians, but to me....that is a good thing.

That being said, IF God Forbid, that we needed to trade Ben THIS offseason in order to get something back of value, I would try to get Andrew Luck - potentially in a 3 way deal. Trade Ben for player/picks, trade a combination of player/picks to Indy for the #1 overall. The upside is you get a younger potential stud for the next 10 years at QB who doesn't have attention issues or like drama. The downside is he doesn't ever pan out whether due to skill and ability, the mental part of the game, or just because he lacks Ben's competitive nature.

Truly, I think by the end of preseason everyone will see what this offense can do with a PLAN for each game in place and the ability to adjust at half or even quarter to quarter. I think by the end of the year, Ben will be happy about the switch...just not now.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    From what I read it seems the Doctors believe a full recovery for Manning,plus Manning is the type of QB who will protect himself even more IMO when he returns......I predict Manning will have 4 or 5 more great seasons.....

Also don't forget the part about three 1st. round picks ,,,those could go a long way towards making a solid OL for the next 5 years at least....

At the same time Big Ben behind our OL if he refuses to tweak his game would =Chester from Gunsmoke....

This was and is the premise of my post ,,,if Ben shows signs that he will not change his game I would rather bet on Manning and the extra draft picks....At this point a non-mobile Ben is a top half of the league QB at best if healthy a top 5 guy....He must learn to be that top 5 guy in the pocket....You can't Coach willingness,,,so Ben either buys in and gets better or he is soon to be a average QB at best.......The team made the move at OC to help Ben in that regard now he must except that help....

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If that doesn't smell of a panic move I don't know what does. I think a season is in order before finding out if this marriage works and if it doesn't, kick Haley to the curb, he won't be here for long anyway. I'll take a franchise QB who is a proven winner over any OC.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you missed my point.....The point being if Ben refuses to hit the check downs or throw the designed short stuff he won't be mobile very long.....As stated above cream of the Crop when mobile not better than average if not......I want him to become that top guy in the pocket to extend his career and elevate his game,,,but at the end of the day Ben is the guy on the field and he needs to be coachable if he wants to be the winner he can be......

8. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    if he wants to be the winner he can be.....that made me piss myself laughing!!!!! :lolol:

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Plus next season there will be no Manning available....Is a 2 [art question to me do you belive Manning will return to full strength??I say yes.
    Do you believe Ben is willing to tweak his game??I don't know the answer to that....

But if the Team sinces a NO on the Ben part now is the time to look at options not next year....Because if he is not Coachable now he probably never will be ...

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why?

11. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Stop the insanity.....Judas Priest!!!

12. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    um maybe because he is ALREADY a winner 3 SuperBowls won two look at his record as a starter SMDH

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Winning is more than just play ground talent.....Winning means knowing if you are helping or hurting your Team.....Winning means being a student of the game....Winning is being able to adapt your style to be in a better position to help your Team....

IMO I believe that BA was the problem and stunted Ben's growth....Ben now has the oppurtunity to grow as a QB and to become a true student of the game.....The Quotes that bother me the most is when Ben states he doesn't know why a particular play didn't work.....Well as a true student of the game he should know......As the leader of the squad he needs to be able to identify those problems and avoid them moving forward....Simple Football 101 if the Ravens call that fire DB blitz we can't run the counter pike.....He needs to know what plays we can check into other than the scramble drill.....As stated he can't do that until he puts in the work......

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't get it.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    \Well I have higher standards for him and this Team I guess....If he was as good in the pocket as he is out how many more could we have??He must learn to become a complete QB if he is to be the complete Winner he should be.....IMO we have missed chances to dominate the NFL.....

People say well it's the NFL it's hard to repeat,well I know it is ,but I believe that you can dominate on any level if you continue to get better..ASU won Back to back,to back championships.....Where they just that much greater than the field??Yes and they stayed healthy enough and proved it......This is what i want from our Team.....A few years of complete domination from start to finish ,before we hit rebuild mode.......As they say on Remember the Titans..'Leave No Doubt'.....

16. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    WOW really? winning means all of that? here i just thought it meant was the little w in the column and the rings at the end of the year! great speach tho lol :yeehaw:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well how will you know that if you don't let the season play out? People are making too much out of them not meeting and giving each other a man hug yet. We don't even know that they haven't met for that matter. Chill out people.

18. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The only way we'd even consider trading Ben is if there was a full fledged case of insubordination and I don't even think Ben is stupid enough to try something like that. Although I could be wrong.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well how will you know that if you don't let the season play out? People are making too much out of them not meeting and giving each other a man hug yet. We don't even know that they haven't met for that matter. Chill out people.[/quote:2vy2wzza]
    Well how will you know that if you don't let the season play out? People are making too much out of them not meeting and giving each other a man hug yet. We don't even know that they haven't met for that matter. Chill out people.[/quote:2vy2wzza]

I don't just speculation.....I do find it a bit odd that Ben has stated he would have talks in the near future on 2 different occassioins and yet we have heard nothing.....IMO no news leans towards bad news in these types of situations....Anyway is just fun to speculate....

I would state though if there was good news from a meeting ,it would be out there...The organization would make sure of it,,,which leads me to believe no meetings as of yet and if so they didn't go so great......

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    *SMH* @ PWP...why o why, haha.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought there was an offseason period where coaches and players couldn't talk. I may be mistaken.

22. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    That was during the lockout.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    THis is not to rag on you PWP, but merely to illustrate the how fans in general overvalue draft picks. Suppose you traded Ben for the #1 pick overall and the first pick in the 2nd round. Boy, you'd expect fantastic value, wouldn't you?

Well, if you did that here's what you would have gotten in return for Ben over the last 18yrs. Lesson: A bird in the hand.....

Combined number of Pro Bowls in parenthesis, Souce profootball-reference.com :
    1990 : Jeff George QB, Alexander Wright WR (0)
    1991: Russell Maryland DT Mike Dumas DB (1) Humorously, Maryland at #1150 rates 2 spots behind Neil ODonnell on
    Profootball-refence.com All-time list
    1992: Steve Emtmann DT, Ashley Ambrose DB (1)
    1993; Drew Bledsoe QB, Carlton Gray DB (4) All 4PBs are Drews, Gray was a journeyman,D
    1994: Dan Wilinson DT, Darney Scott WR (0)
    1995: Ki-Jana Carter RB Matt O'Dwyer OG (0)
    1996: Keyshanw Johnson WR Alex Van Dyke WR (3) All PBs were Me-Shawns,
    1997: Orlando Pace OT Rick Terry DT (7) All PBs are Paces
    1998: Peyton Manning QB Leon Bender OT (11) Bender died 5 weeks after draft
    1999: Tim Couch QB Kevin Johnson WR (0) Johnson was a decent WR had nearly 5000yd Rec

2000: Coutney Brown DE, Dennis Nortcutt WR (0) Northcutt also a decent WR - 5000yd Rec
    2001: Micheal Vick QB Drew Brees QB (10) 6PB for Brees / 4 for Vick
    2002: David Carr QB Jabar Gaffney WR (0)
    2003: Carson Palmer QB Eric Steinbach OG (2)
    2004: Eli Manning QB Karlos Dansby LB (2)
    2005: Alex Smith QB David Baas OG (0)
    2006: Mario Williams DE DeMeco Ryans LB (4) 2 PBs each
    2007: Jamarcus Russell QB Alan Branch DT (0)

This is a total of 18 yrs. In how many years would you have gotten a good return? Well, being as generous as poosible, I think trading Ben for the top 1st rounder and top 2nd rounder would have paid off clearly in 1998 (Manning) and 2001 (Brees/Vick) and maybe 1997 (Pace) and possiblly 1993 (you could get a young Bledsoe for an older Ben) and 2004 (Eli + something for Ben).

Being as generous as possible in 18yrs the trade would break even or better 5 times, and 3 of these are debatable.

Not a good batting average. And yeah, yeah, I know the Steelers WOULD CLEALY draft better than those guys (unless they didn't).

Top Draft Picks are seductive, visions of HOFers dance in fans heads, the reality? Not so much.

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Am i missing something or in this scenario wouldn't harrison have to come out of retirement

25. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I normally agree with PWP but all of this is pure unadulterated speculation.