1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Steelers @ NY Giants opening night 9/6/2012

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jftwist, Feb 9, 2012.

1. jftwist

jftwist Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who would be pumped for this game? A Thursday night game week 1 means there is no short week involved and do the Giants really want to see a healthy Steelers team (hopefully no lingering camp injuries)?

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :thumbsdown: That's what I was thinking about last years week 1 against the ravens. How'd that one go...

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    splendid :lolol:

4. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    At least this one would be out of conference.

5. jftwist

jftwist Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Last year against the opening game against the ravens was not good at all. This game is differant though, a chance to knock off the Super bowl champs in there house, what an opportunity! I think it would be a great game. I am not sure it would happen though as the Giants host Green Bay as well as the Saints at home next year. The Green Bay game maybe what the NFL wants I would think.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Given that most of this board has pulled for the gnats all week I just want to be sure that you will be rooting for the Steelers in this game.... JUUUUUST KIDDING!!! PLEASE DON'T CUSS ME OUT AND ALL THAT!

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why does it seem we do our best Sunday afternoon at 1:00? :thumbs_up:

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Well the one thing we have going for us here is that the Giants don't seem to get things cranked up til mid season ;)

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be excited we were in a big primetime game... but no, I don't want this game.

I'm not scared of the Giants or lack confidence or anything like that, but I don't think any team should want that first game (unless you're the Superbowl winner). Home field advantage is a big deal in this sport, and you take that up another notch when it's a home crowd basically ushering in their champs.

Since the league started the tradition, the defending Superbowl Champ has NEVER lost.

2011: Packers beat Saints
    2010: Saints beat Vikings
    2009: Steelers beat Titans
    2008: Giants beat Redskins
    2007: Colts beat Saints
    2006: Steelers beat Dolphins
    2005: Pats beat Raiders
    2004: Pats beat Colts

10. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Personally, I think it will be a division game. I bet it will be Eagles-Giants or Cowboys-Giants on the Thursday opener.

11. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Hey what if Peyton goes to the Redskins - maybe Peyton vs Eli for the opener.

I agree w/most of the sentiment here that opening up against the champs is generally a tough task, but one thing about playing the Giants that maybe is somewhat more acceptable is:

1)It is an NFC opponent - if you are going to lose an opener, it is better that it be a non-division, non-conference team
    2)You got 10 days until your next game, more time to work through the kinks of what went wrong if you lost....this may especially be helpful considering Haley is the new O Coordinator

12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I agree. I think it's Giants/Packers. We will see though.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    doesn't look good for Peyton just read he can't throw to the left or across his body. Will it get better, who knows?

14. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    No thanks. Don't need Ben getting killed game 1 by that defensive front and our shady O-line. I'll take a cupcake for the 1st game thank you very much. Browns maybe :cool:

15. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Yeah.I don't see a cupcake 1st game though? I'm hoping just like you. :praying:

16. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The giants have won 2 SBs they won't be nearly as hungry as we are

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Plus Ben will be wanting to prove that he, not Eli, is the best QB to come out of the 2004 draft.