1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Steelers Mount Rushmore

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by samsam, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We could just settle the TB/BR debate by having Kordell's face on Mt Rushmore.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bradshaw was clutch in the big games, he had two great WRs but he still had to make the throws and he called his own plays.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradshaw also played in a time where DB's could mug the receivers. We can play this game all day. Fact is, Bradshaw still had to make the throws.

Ben also had the benefit of being backed up by one of the best defenses ever in 2008 backed by the best defensive play ever in a SB. And Holmes isnt a HOF receiver but he made a HOF catch.

If I'm going into a SB and my choices are TB or Ben, I'm choosing TB every time and will come out with more wins.

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!: How many SB's did Bradshaw lose? Oh thats right, NONE! 4-0 has to count for something. The defense isnt the unit that put up 31 and 35 points in 2 of them, Bradshaw had something to do with that. No Mt Rushmore is made without TB on it.

SB Xlll
    Steelers 35 Dallas 31

Terry Bradshaw passed for a record four touchdowns to lead the Steelers to victory. The Steelers became the first team to win three Super Bowls, mostly because of Bradshaw's accurate arm.
    Bradshaw, voted the game's most valuable player, completed 17 of 30 passes for 318 yards, a personal high. Four of those passes went for touchdowns – two to John Stallworth and the third, with 26 seconds remaining in the second period, to Rocky Bleier for a 21-14 halftime lead.

SB XlV
    Steelers 31 Rams 19

Terry Bradshaw completed 14 of 21 passes for 309 yards and set two passing records as the Steelers became the first team to win four Super Bowls.
    Despite three interceptions by the Rams, Bradshaw kept his poise and brought the Steelers from behind twice in the second half. Trailing 13-10 at halftime, Pittsburgh went ahead 17-13 when Bradshaw hit Lynn Swann with a 47-yard touchdown pass after 2:48 of the third quarter.
    On Pittsburgh's initial possession of the final period, Bradshaw lofted a 73-yard scoring pass to John Stallworth to put the Steelers in front to stay 24-19.
    Bradshaw, the game's most valuable player for the second straight year, set career Super Bowl records for most touchdown passes (9) and most passing yards (932).

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I Love Big Ben! Being second to Bradshaw is not a bad thing at all. That list Diamond supplied had Payton as # 1. Sorry, but that's not even close to being right. He like Ben may have a bunch of 4thqr comebacks, but Payton is one of the all time greats at choking in big games!

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's kind of crazy that we have a QB who's in the conversation. When I was growing up, it seemed certain that the Steelers would never have a QB who could rival the greatness of TB. Ben's done some fantastic things, and he'd be on most team's Rushmore without any debate. The Steelers need more than a traditional Rushmore. 10 heads, 4 at the top, with the others getting smaller towards the bottom would be a good start.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Have you seen the size of Ben's head? That would never work.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Well played. :lolol:

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's hard to argue with this. I loved Swann but I'd leave Harris on there for the IR alone.

Man, this is hard! So many great players. I'd say we just have to find a bigger mountain!!!

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I could not disagree with this more strongly. Bradshaw came up big every single time he had to in virtually every single Super Bowl he played in. Go back and re-watch the games. In all of those games, with the possible exception of Super Bowl IX where Franco and the D delivered, there was a crucial point where Bradshaw had to come up big and he did. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

I love Ben and we're fortunate to have him, but he's been mediocre in Super Bowls save for one magical drive that sealed his Super Bowl legacy forever. He sucked it up BIG TIME in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks posting the lowest QBR for a winning quarterback in Super Bowl history. Against the Cards he was GREAT when he had to be, the final drive. Up to that point I'd say he was mostly pedestrian with his play. He didn't play badly but didn't light it up either. He delivered when he had to so I'll give him an A+ for that performance. Against the Packers you can blame the receivers if you like, and they are partially to blame, but the fact is Ben looked like a Tom Brady football (a little flat) that day. He threw two crucial interceptions and didn't deliver with the game on the line. And he almost seemed obsessed with getting the ball to Wallace on that last drive and Mikey was obviously NOT ready for primetime, unlike Santonio Holmes against the Cards. Ben was the distributor of the pigskin and he didn't get it in the right hands on that drive. In fact, I don't think he got it in anybody's hands. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he completed a pass on that last possession (maybe a dink?).

At any rate, if I had one Super Bowl to win and you gave me the choice of any quarterback, I'd choose Bradshaw over Ben or anybody else. He was clutch when he had to be!

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Like a Mount Rushmore and Mount Rushless?

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And I hope there will be another great QB to add to the discussion 10 years from now!

15. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

I'd say we need our own mountain!;) Mount Burgmore!:applaud:

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Uhhhhh.... does the name LANDRY JONES mean nothing to you???

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I saw this on Chiiler Theatre when I was a kid.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If we are adding non players, how can we go without The Chief?

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'll take two from each era:

Bradshaw
    Greene
    Polamalu
    Ward

I left off Ben because he isn't done yet. I wanted to put Woodson up there but he played for two other teams. That left Ward, who has facial recognition and also high franchise impact and I like the offense/defense split. Polamalu, for me, was a no-brainer.

As for the 70's, can't leave off the QB and Mean Joe was probably most irreplaceable on that defense.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We all have our opinions but, Hines in the twilight of his career? S.B. MVP? I hope I have that kind of twilight! Bettis didn't play in SB 40? I guess my memory is going.
    I think Ben is a really good QB but, Terry was CLUTCH! Plus, he called his own plays!

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol, you got in there before I could BFT!

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!!! Not all share our sense of humor though. Some may talk through their teeth at the very thought. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in my morbidity and part time trolling. LOL!

23. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    The debate is doing well on all sides without me so Ill just list em...
    Chief, Noll, Green, Bradshaw (picking between he and Ben was BRUTALbut 4 rings speak!)

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    All tough choices, all good debates. Here's mine:

00s Rushmore: Polamalu, Bettis, Ward, Ben [
    very difficult choice between Ward or Farrior. For me, Farrior embodied Steeler linebacking, for a longer period than Harrison or Porter.]

90s Rushmore: Woodson, Lloyd, Dawson, Gildon
    [again, some difficult choices - Gildon or Kirkland? We seemed to have a few stars whose stay was briefer than I would have wanted - Greene, Thigpen, even Barry Foster in his prime.]

80s Rushmore: Lipps, Merriweather, Gary Anderson, Ilkin.

70s Rushmore: Bradshaw, Greene, Stallworth, Lambert.

60s Rushmore: John Henry Johnson, Dick Hoak... erm... maybe I'll leave that to the old timers...

50s Rushmore: Stautner, Butler, Pat Brady, Bobby Layne. [Help me out here, some of you.]

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Glen Edwards.