1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steel machine, Feb 15, 2021.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Didn't get the DH yesterday but now won 4th series in a row (2 on the road) after a disastrous start. Hayes appeared to re-injure his wrist in BP and is day to day with further diagnosis. Unfortunately this team is not built for the dog days of summer and will most likely wilt as the season progresses but we can enjoy for now while other teams get their sea legs. Nice to see the Reds come back to Earth with Bucs back in 3rd place 1 game out of 2nd. :rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bullpen has saved the day these last two weeks. I can see the boys taking 2 of 3 in Minn. Over .500 would be nothing short of amazing. Really was pissed when I heard about Hayes. While I tend to agree with your assessment of the dog days of summer I'm just enjoying the moment and keeping those visions of sugarplums dancing in my head.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well smack me silly but 21 games in and instead of having a few wins which all thought it would be like, them battling BUCS could be .500 at days end.

BEAT EM BUCS!!

4. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well smack me even harder, somehow this battling BUC team is .500 after 22 games. Hell this team may not lose 100 as all the "experts" predicted. I'm loving it!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nice to see A. Frasier and Reynolds bounce back and be the gifted hitters they each are. Very good extended road series. Can't believe how Oakland (Money Ball) and Cincy are rocketing in opposite directions after the starts each had. Beat em Bucs!.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty sure this is a parallel universe we are in right now as the battling BUCS are a game over .500.

Bullpen is off the charts, if they keep it up going to be a lot of so called experts with egg on their face.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Should I start Keller in fantasy baseball tonight?

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't use any logic when it comes to explaining this Pirates team. Keller is one of those "can't miss" young Bucco pitchers who runs hot and cold. I'll certainly root for them every day but wouldn't put any money on them.

9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Careful, Keller has a high ERA. I'm not confident about this evening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Keller has a 2.88 ERA vs. AL in the short sample size of 25 IP. But take away the AL and St. Louis, he has given up 49 ER in 50 IP. So playing KC tonight. The data says start him.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I look at his numbers - last year/this year; home/away; first time through lineup/later on - only numeric conclusion is high level of inconsistency with flashes of good stuff. 1st inning, long ball and control are his Achilles Heal so far. He may be one of those pitchers who would be better off starting in the 2nd inning instead of the 1st. Difficult to enact but stats don't lie. :shrug:

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You should have listened to Steel Machine and my data (instincts), not yours. Keller is already stinking it up in the first with wildness and extra base hits - his Kryptonite. :facepalm:

PS - Keller is also horrible with 2 outs. So far, 2 innings, 3 runs, 2 walks, 2 extra base hits. Plenty of time to catch up but Bucs (Keller) dig an early hole.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Well April was more then I could have hoped for but taking a look at the May schedule I have a strong hunch the party is over.

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I just sit back and enjoy any success at all. Playing .500 out of the gate was indeed fun. Impressed how the Bucs tried to keep up with the Royals last night, one of the better teams in MLB so far. Unfortunately Mitch Keller continued his best impression of Tyler Glasnow in his early years. Ironic how unknowns (to me) Anderson, Brubaker and Cahill seem to be holding their own as is the bullpen to a large degree. Good to see old man Todd Frasier finally get his mojo back - he used to kill the Bucs when wearing any other uniform. Let's pound the Cards this weekend. :rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Slip sliding away as the song goes. Guessing the parties over.

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    That Cardinal lineup features even more Pirate killers now - Arenado, Goldschmidt, Carpenter etc etc. Life ain't fair. :facepalm:
    Sorry to see the Brewfarts succeed but they are taking the "World Beater" Dodgers to the shed so far this season which always pleases me. (Sorry Santee).

• Like Like x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well the silver lining last 2 games - Pirate pitchers gave up only 5 runs and 7 hits and a no-no through 6 after long flight and no rest to SD - but both were shutout losses. Deja vu all over again. :facepalm:

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Pirates got shelled last night 14 - 1. 2 and 8 the last 10 games and now looking like the Pirates we've come to know and love for so long now. I guess when you're in rebuild mode you get beaten pretty consistently. Pirates are just a bad ballclub right now with some promising rookies here and there. As usual. Look for them to trade the players that are playing at a major league level right now. I'm 66 years old and will never see the Piirates in another world series.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They must have read your message Rollers, came back and won convincingly last night. Brubaker seems to be a decent pickup who actually is pitching as good or better than any recent highly touted pitching pickups -Taillion, Musgrove (really liked Joe) and Chris Archer etc etc.

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Starting to get ugly. Was looking forward to seeing if Hayes could join the late great Jason Bay as another ROTY. Not gonna happen. Damn good thing the Penguins keep it going until we can make it to Steeler football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Winning 2 of 4 from the 1st place Giants with late inning rallies was the equivalent of winning the World Series. Well, ok - almost. :applaud:

Now a horrid 9 game set against Cards, Braves and Cubs. Actually they're all horrid matchups when you consider the Pirates O (except Frasier and Reynolds).

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Atlanta Braves have haunted me since those dark October nights in the early 90's.

20-1 way to go BUCS on your way to soon be worse team in baseball.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The good news......the Pirates just needed 3 touchdowns to pull ahead in Atlanta last night. More good news...... only about half of those 20 runs were against a position player doing mop up work. :thumbs up:..............:facepalm:

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    To paraphrase the Grinch, we stink, stank and stunk.

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Pirates luck continues - Pirates vs the "dreaded Dodgers" (sorry Santee) - Rookie Kebryan Hayes smacks a 1st inning homer off very good undefeated pitcher Walker Bueller but fails to touch 1st base and is called out on a replay. Visions of Harvey Haddix losing perfect game in 13th inning when Joe Adcock and Hank Aaron (as I recall) passed each other on the base paths and beat the Bucs 1-0 vs 2-0. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: