1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirates 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by BLACKGOLD CHAMPS, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

You're giving up going to a baseball game for a comic book convention? I repeat, a comic book convention? Seriously? I feel like I don't know you at all!

Haha! I'm just kidding. I always have a good time when I go to the games. I hope you have a great time at the comic book convention, as well, since I know you love it. Happy Father's Day! :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

They're droppin' like flies!

Oh, and I HATE the Cards! :mad:

I'm so frustrated. :(

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it's an annual pilgrimage to Charlotte every June to 240,000 sq feet of pure nerd euphoria. It's really multiple things though. All the writers and comic artists are there and you get to meet them and talk to them but there are also a lot of vendors there with a lot of vintage toys that I collect. I called a dude in Charlotte the other day and he's bringing me some really cool stuff. I can't wait. That was a great outing for my Cubbies last night. I would have liked to have been there but if they make it to the World Series I will definitely be going to Wrigley for that. I really feel bad typing that because I don't wanna jinx it. I also share your bitter hatred of the Cards. I know I've said that before but it's always worth repeating. LOL!

4. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    ...and Bartmans...

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I hate the Cubs.
    Have I mentioned that I hate the Cubs?
    I. Hate. The. Cubs.
    It's true.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid our Pirates better get it together soon before the season slips away. We are in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Don Meredith: "Turn out the lights....the party's over........" :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So we've gone from the lovable losers to the hateable winners? LOL!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

15-4!

15-4! :facepalm:

Alright, that's it! I'm calling A. J. Burnett and I'm going to say, "Listen up, Batman... You've had enough time with your wife and kids. It's time to get back on the mound!"

It was that ugly.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I saw during the Cubs game that it was 9-0 and I thought about you. I can't believe it got that bad! I really think the Giants are a force to be reckoned with. We of course lost to the cards. Again. I really can't say I've got too much faith in Hammel. Although Fowler is hurt but still.

11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This is what Kershaw (Bettie Boop beating) was doing after Sunday night ESPN game vs Pirates. He's a great pitcher (except when tossing against the Buccos the past few years) but what a drama queen he is. His antics every time there was a hit, walk or even a foul ball by the Pirate rookie pitcher were stupid - it made the Pirate's win all that more enjoyable - even though I've lived in So Cal since the mid 60's - have never rooted for the men in blue (except when they're playing the Cards or Cubs). Loved how every single sports announcer over the weekend had already given Kershaw the win come Sunday night (can't really blame them but what a great Pirate win). Get those brooms moving vigorously Monday! Hate to admit it but John Smoltz did a really good job as Fox's color analyst for Saturday's game - knowledgeable, neutral, and not bad to listen to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I was actually wanting the Dodgers to lose last night too. I just feel like they pose a much greater threat to the Cubbies. Kershaw is still a great pitcher but he's an even better dude. He gives tons of money to an orphanage he built in Africa and does a lot for kids. Still I'd take Jake over him though. I didn't understand why McCutchens got thrown out. Was he just being really belligerent? I sorta had the game on in the background and just looked up and saw that he got ejected and then they cut straight to commercial. You're right about Smoltz too. I HAAAAAAATE the Braves and ESPECIALLY the Braves of his era but he's definitely a good announcer. Although I was watching maybe a different broadcast since I had the Boone broadcast from ESPN where they also have the girl that calls games too? Honestly I can't stand to listen to her and wish they would replace her with an actual professional baseball player. I just don't feel like she can give a deep enough insight. Not trying to be "sexist" or whatever. That's just what I think. I also wouldn't want to listen to men call a women's softball game.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Actually Smoltz was announcing Saturdays game on local Fox affiliate - not the Sunday ESPN game. That's a whole conversation for another day in that the Dodgers black out ALL games - home and away - except for Time Warner cable customers - even on Direct TV which I pay for the baseball package. Dodgers are only blackouts all baseball season. Being a Pirate fan this only affects 6 or 7 games a year for me but it's lunacy for the millions of Dodger fans who don't have or can't get Time Warner.

I'm assuming that 3rd person in the announcer's booth you are referencing has to be transgendered, I mean just being female isn't nuanced enough for 2016's media cutting edge which sadly ESPN has fallen right to the bottom of. I'm predicting that just before November's POTUS election (depending on which way the polling winds are blowing), a certain candidate for a certain party will be "coming out" and it will be Huma as the First Lady and not slick Willy - he'll be relegated to his billionaire's friend's pervert hideout in the Caribbean.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Man that's crazy that the Dodgers do that. You're right about ESPN though. That woman calling games is totally "PC" motivated and I'm pretty sure it's in response to the whole Schilling thing. Her name is actually Jessica Mendoza.

15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    well latinos tend to crossgender easier than most
    so
    lets not jump to the conclusion
    she is she and not he
    PLAY BALL!!!

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So speaking of pocket billiards, are you saying - play em if you got em? ;)

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We may have to get the rally caps out, it maybe one of those years? How many wins do you think will the Pirates need
    to make the playoffs?

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They are at least gonna have to keep pace with the cards because there's no way they're catching us. I don't see them making the post really because the stupid cards will do juuuuuuust enough to make the post and then spoil my Cubbies again. LOL!

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They don't possess the magic nor tenacity to make it this year - pitching was solid last year and a complete failure in 2016 other than the occasional surprise start from Cole or Locke. JA Happ would have been well worth the $$$ to keep on board as well as some of the relievers they let go. Perhaps Mike Sullivan could step in as Skipper and turn them around like he did with the Pens and kick Cutch in the butt like he did with Crosby. Mets, Cards, Miami and Dodgers will all finish well ahead of the Bucs. Finishing over .500 is also very unlikely as the dog days of summer smack them in the face. That lightning in a bottle was fun while it lasted. But on a happy note - they almost swept the billion-dollar payroll of the Dodgers in a 4 game series this weekend - so that's nice. :shrug:

20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Is it just me or are there celebrity twins out there?

upload_2016-7-4_13-4-21.png upload_2016-7-4_13-4-44.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The Pirates schedule supposedly gets easier after the all star game, I think we are only three games out of the playoffs at this point?

23. Guest

Guest Guest

24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Dang...ask and you will receive. Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    They should just have to play us for the rest of the year and the way we're playing now they'd take the dang pennant. :facepalm: