1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirates 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by BLACKGOLD CHAMPS, Jan 17, 2016.

1. BLACKGOLD CHAMPS

BLACKGOLD CHAMPS Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Now that the Steelers are over its time to start thinking about the Buccos. I got an uneasy felling about the upcoming season. Can't wait for spring to get here.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It's been a long and very stressful football season for our beloved Steelers and their fans.

I'm very much looking forward to baseball season.

Pitchers and catchers report for Spring training one month from today!

LET'S GO BUCS! [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh, how I love hearing the cracks of those bats! :dancing:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Root, root, root for the CUUUUUUUBBIES! If they don't win it's a shame!!! LOL! I'm also excited for baseball to start back but for a different reason.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    or as Billy Chrystal so aptly stated about your world series drought - "You know, every once in a while you're going to have a bad century!" :roflmao:

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What's sick is that even with the Cards' huge number of high profile injuries these past few seasons - they are the only MLB team to exceed the Pirates win total for last 3 seasons. What dumb luck to keep getting stuck with the one and done wild card game each year where the Division was so close each time. Also they've now played their last three playoff sets (7 games) against division opponents. You still have to win your division to avoid having to face a killer mound opponent like we have all three years - fortunately we got by Cueto somehow 3 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I know. Trust me. LOL!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I really wish they would do away with that one-and-done wild card game and make it at least a best out of five series. I'd even be happy with a best out of three series. One game is the pits, but I suppose I wouldn't be complaining if we won. :lolol:

LET'S GO BUCS!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I really don't mind the one and done scenario there because, for me, baseball is more exciting when there's so much more on the line. The atmosphere for our wild card game against you guys last year was just phenomenal. I do think that game took a lot out of Jake though and he might have gotten a few too many throws during the regular season after he went on that crazy run. I think it would be pretty hard on pitchers to have to go through a whole wild card series just to get to the next round of the playoffs and would probably put the wild card team at an enormous disadvantage going forward. Regardless of who they were.

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    With baseball playoffs now possibly extending into early November, no way that the wild card game will be extended to 3 games, unless you shortened the division round to 3 games as well :hmm: . There is plenty of precedent for one and done sports playoffs (e.g. NFL, March madness, and now college football) but these games are not as susceptible as baseball for one guy (starting pitcher) to be able to completely dominate a single game...........unless of course your name is Von Miller, just ask Cam. :lolol:

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    yes it was real sweet knocking off the Reds 3 years ago in one try but last two years ran into buzz saws - that's still the Pirates Achilles heel - strong mound opponents - in spite of their great won/loss record these past 3 years. Pirates don't really have a single playoff caliber dominant pitcher (and now Cole is miffed about his contract). That's why we still need timely hitters (plural emphasis) for a classic "bloop and a blast"!. :clapping:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Cubs have bought themself a world series, The Pirates will never be able to compete
    with Large market teams

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe the distinguished John Houseman would disagree - he'd say - "You have to Urn it". But the cursed Cubbies have assembled a great team.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Pirates Home Opener this Sunday, April 3, 2016 :dancing:

St. Louis Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Pirates

1:05 PM

LET'S GO BUCS! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    All set for the season - lots of new faces and names to learn - hoping Kang can return to his mid-season form from a year ago (before having his knee blown out) - he was sure fun to watch both in the field and at bat - hope they don't rush him back. For some reason I feel better about the Bucs opening against the Cards than when the Steelers open against the Pats.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm nervous. As far as baseball is concerned, nothing can get my blood pressure up as a home opener against the hated Cards can. :lolol: :beg:

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Today's the day! It's finally arrived! LET'S GO BUCS!

• Like Like x 1
  20. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    See Lady - what was there to worry about? We had it all the way! I love the corner work at third and first on D (sans Pedro) and having a vet like Freese in the 3 spot. Gotta like when Polanco connects like yesterday - sweet swing. Now let's have the Angels sweep the 2nd City team and get them worrying about the curse all over again.

• Like Like x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Those Cubs didn't get the memo. BFT's gotta be happy as a clam today. Dang that's a scary lineup in the windy City. Jason Hayward (when healthy) is a beast ever since his menacing days at Atlanta. Always thought he'd look good in a Pirates uni.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sweep of the Cards was mighty sweet but BFT's Cubbies are down right loaded and scary. How they kept coming back against the D-Backs last night and eventually pummeled them was ridiculous. Pirates are going to have to take advantage of a relatively easy early schedule but most games in April are on the road. Can't let the depleted Reds get their goat this weekend in Cincy. BEB! :clapping::bowdown::thumbs up::dancing:

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Lady Steel where art thou? You had to be excited about those games last week against the D Backs and Rockies. Heading into an early season showdown this week against BFT's Little Bears - glad it's in the Burgh - hope our bats keep on connecting and we get half-decent pitching. I hope PNC is packed for this series. The NL West is a joke right now but that NL East is on fire. And what's up with the Pittsburgh kid? Is the right field porch that much more inviting in NY or is there something in the water? His bat is sick right now. I hope we can replicate our season sweep record against the Mets like we did last year. That was fun. BEAT EM BUCS!!!!!!!!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

24. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm right here, sugarplum. Haha!

I absolutely loved the series against the D-Backs last week. That 13 inning game had me on the edge of my seat and I thought I was going to need oxygen. I was at work and walked into my patient's room were he was watching the game. As soon as I walked in, the Pirates scored two runs to lead the game. I walked out at the end of the inning. A short time later, another nurse walked into the room to tend to the other patient in the room. The D-Backs scored two runs to tie it up. She was kicked out of the room by my patient and told to send me back in. :lolol:

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of the games against the Rockies. I was too busy with work and other things. I'm loving this series against the Reds and, as I'm typing this, we just tied it up at three runs apiece. I'm hoping we sweep them and the upcoming stupid Cubs, as well.

Oops, I spoke too soon. The Reds just went up 4-3. :(

I'm anxiously awaiting King Kang's return. They're saying two weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I miss my sweet #18 Neil Walker. He was my Pirates boyfriend. I'm happy he is doing so well with the Mets. Since he left me, I had to find a new Pirates boyfriend, and I have chosen Francisco Cervelli. :lolol: They're all my boyfriends, though. I sure love my Buccos!

Oh gawd! The Bucs just tied up the game against the Reds at 4 runs apiece. I'm going to have a heart attack. :lolol: :applaud:

LET'S GO BUCS!

ETA: Holy cow! John Jaso hits a HR in the bottom of the 9th with two outs to tie it up at 5 runs apiece! We're going into extra innings!

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
  25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Welcome back to Bucco-land Lady S. OK so we dropped this extra inning game with waaaay too many opps to win it - but I love their fight and how it's spread around the whole team - reminds me of a few vintage Pirate teams especially the 1960 WS champ team. Not a bad day to lose cause the Cubs lost as well and I'm always nervous with long winning streaks when heading into a critical series - I like consistency of winning series' and hopefully learning from one game losses because streaks seem to work both ways. I'd be thrilled with a series win against Cubbies this week while a sweep would certainly be significant since everyone has already handed the them the pennant and their WS rings. Would be nice to humble them a bit like we did against the World Series Mets last year. Speaking of your boyfriend Francisco Cervelli - he's the 2016 version of the 1960's Pirate outfielder Gino Cimoli! Great Cervelli T-shirt this past Friday night - "now 'at's amore!"

God Bless all you nurses (assuming you are based on your work reference).