1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Picking Your Poison

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Jan 16, 2017.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bill is known for "taking away a team's main weapon". However, when you look at our offense would you say it's Bell or AB? I'd say it's Bell BUT if you were coaching against us and that was your philosophy would you be totally willing to sell out just to take Bell away? How do you think he gameplans for the title game? I personally would try and put a little more focus on Bell just because Ben hasn't looked sharp to say the least. Just curious if you guys expect them to stop Bell next week and if you would try it if you were coaching against us.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They will key on bell and double brown. Ben will need his B game at minimal

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That will be an upgrade from tonight at least. LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I would say A game... we can't afford mistakes against NE. We need him to make plays if they take away Bell, and that requires getting the ball routinely to someone other than 84.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben HAS to throw the ball away instead of standing like a statue in the pocket and taking dumb sacks next week. If we're in fg range we have to at LEAST come away with field goals. Every single point will come at a premium I think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Either way we need about 35 to win, hopefully less

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I know what you're asking, but you almost make it sound like Miami and KC didn't even game plan for Bell. I believe they certainly did but as we saw - to no avail. Not sure if they stifled his pass catching or if that was just our game plan. Bell's damage is twofold - he moves the markers and eats plenty of clock. Great attributes - especially against good QB's like Smith and Brady (and hopefully either Rogers or Ryan.)

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I think they totally did. I was just saying that Bill has always been known for being willing to let 10 guys beat him as opposed to one and I'm just curious to see if he thinks Bell is that one guy that he's not gonna let beat him. I think he's definitely gonna plan to mainly focus on Bell. I just hope like crazy that Ben shows up along with the role players. They really looked like they showed up tonight. Not sure about Green but it would be nice to have him available this week too.

9. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    At some point good Ben has to show up during these playoffs doesn't he?

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    One can hope. His passes were all over the place tonight. One was a foot above AB's hands. One was at his shoe laces. One was pretty far off Eli that he reached out to get. One was a busted coverage to James that James had to stop and go to the ground to get when he probably should have been hit in stride. I don't know what the deal is with him but he just looks off for whatever reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like someone else said they will look to take away Bell and use Butler with safety help over the top most times. Ben needs to throw it and hopefulily accurately to whoever is open...we have others who are more than capable

12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Haley has spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

upload_2017-1-16_17-1-13.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If they do this, the other 2 WR's and the TE should be able to have a good day. If that happens then they will drop safety help back and that will open Bell back up. They can't cover everything. Ben has to have an average or better day, and the Defense has to play very, very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually think Bell will have a good day through the air if they want to sell out to the run. He's dangerous out wide as well.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Right, but the key is to have Ben actually throw to them. He can get zoned in on AB at times. I liked the passes to JJ last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    What's the weather expected to be? I'd focus on taking away Bell, and hope the weather conditions impact Ben/AB..... That being said.... I'd like to see Bell catch a few more balls out of the backfield. This week was a bit slow on receptions for him. I don't think they can take both the run and pass effectiveness of Bell away.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I'd plan to neutralize Bell in the first half. I figure the Patriots reach halftime with a lead, and they'll get the ball to start the second half.

Playing catch-up forces PIT to pass. I'd look to neutralize Brown in the second half and have a pass rusher slam Bell on the way to the pocket.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Our main scoring weapon at the moment is Boswell, so BB may have to get creative to take him away.

More seriously...

The KC gameplan was interesting - logic said run the ball, and we came out passing. Then we came out running. It was a classic Haley, in many ways. But it also showed that we can move the ball up the field without one or the other. After all, KCs defense is as good as NE, if not better.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Was going to state something similar.

Jesse is not a weapon like Brown or LaDarius Green is but is still a nice security blanket to have. Granted, he may not get those stats like he did Sunday but should still see the ball a couple of times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is not even accounting for the fact that Jamie Collins is no longer there with them.

Even so, Donta Hightower, Malcolm Butler and Malcom Brown are their biggest assets. That being said, of the three, Butler should yield the biggest challenge given the fact that the offensive line and the run blocking improvement of Jesse James can offset their two key front seven players.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Every team wants to stop Bell. They can't.

22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he's way too hurt in shoulder and leg.

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think they load the box and bring pressure at Ben. I am sure Belicheat has seen the Ben we all have saw the last few weeks and he knows stopping Bell and making Ben throw early or in a rush could lead to good things for them and bad things for us. Now on the flip side I hope Haley is ready for that and Ayers or even Grimble are ready for the dump off. I think there will be lots of attention on AB and maybe even JJ so we need these other guys to step up id they are gonna try to take away Bell or AB.

My opinion is if Ben is on no way do they stop this offense even if they take Bell and AB away. They can't cover JJ, Ayers, Grimble and Hamilton if Ben is on. I also think Haley will change things up some and move Bell out wide and Dwill in the backfield. That would really throw a wrench in Belicheat's plan!!!!!!

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that the Pats will find a X's and O's solution to slowing Bell down, but they will expose themselves to play action underneath. Ben will need to make quick throws to guys like Rogers and James to make them pay for what they'll do to scheme for Bell and Brown. They can't cover everybody. All that Ben needs to do is find the open guy and be PATIENT.

• Agree Agree x 1