1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett vs 2023 QB class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfire, Oct 8, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because He has all that SEC talent.
    I mean eventually when all the Qbs are just basically running Qbs, and none are even remotely pocket passers....they will win SBs.....but if All the QBs were women.....Women would be winning SBs....So it's not saying anything.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wow....why didn't anyone else think of this.
    I mean just get good players. The Steelers are so stupid. LoL :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    When did Tennessee become some power house in the sec and have top recruit classes? They haven't had a top ten recruit class in YEARS. also they had literally been on a 15 game losing streak to Alabama before him and haven't won the sec title since 1995 and likely will win it this year especially if they win saturday. So no that isn't why. Hendon hooker is just good. Also clear you don't watch him. He's not a running qb. He can run but he doesn't run alot.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They were never going to draft Dickerson in the first round, he had 2-3 knee injuries in college, I think the Eagles plan is to move him to center once Kelce retires.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So far, I've heard comparisons that have him as a taller, more mature Mayfield. Those trying to pass that off as a negative don't seem to understand how much Mayfield has been held back by being a short, immature punk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Personality aside, you’d be pleased if his ceiling is Mayfield? Carr is better than Mayfield and thats the least I’m hoping for out of Pickett.

Mayfield would be a big disappointment. He’s just not a very good QB.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm saying that even if all other things were equal, being taller and not being an immature punk would place his ceiling significantly higher than that of Mayfield.

I'm not accepting the premise that all other things are equal. Both are athletic. Mayfield probably has the stronger arm. Pickett is probably more accurate. It really comes down to what is between the ears, and I don't think we are close to knowing that about Pickett yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wrong. It's clear you don't watch TN football or know anything Heupel's approach, staff, or strategy. Why do you think Hooker transfered from VT? He wasn't on anyone's radar and wasn't going to get into the league. He found the right fit running the right system with Heupel. And Hooker is ALWAYS a threat to run the ball. Obviously, you have no clue what you're talking about.

And BTW, a bottom third recruiting class in the SEC is still top 20 in the country. The talent hasn't been the issue here at UT, it's been crappy coaches and revolving door of 6 head coaches over the past 15 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're not just looking at this season mentioning what he's done in 3 seasons in the other post. Make up your mind.

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So then explain this which you have yet to do. "so why didn’t Mikey Keene at ucf with 2 Wrs that were drafted, a 6’7 TE, a all around fast rb in Otis Anderson(rip), perform like Hendon hooker with josh heupel and his system." If that's your reasoning for hooker being good.

Also why is he now being projected to be this high if it's the system?

https://volswire.usatoday.com/lists...hendon-hooker-projected-as-no-5-overall-pick/

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...g-himself-into-the-top-10-top-5-of-nfl-draft/

Also hendon hooked decided to transfer to Tennessee January 7th 2021. Heupel was hired January 27th 2021. He was hired after he already decided to transfer. He didn't chase and seek out huepel for this perfect system fit like you're trying to claim.

And always a threat is different from being a running qb... mahomes is always a threat to run. Is he a running qb? Or a qb that CAN run?

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Man your world is going to come crashing down if the Eagles win the SB :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't answer because it was a total red herring. We all know that power 5 talent and specifically SEC talent is on a whole other plane than AAC.

I never said Hendon sucks but that he is in the perfect system at the perfect time - how that happened is immaterial. AND, nobody predicted the success that Heupel would have at TN in his second year. Where did I say Hendon Hooker was a running QB? That's just wrong if you are claiming that I said Hooker is a running QB.

And one more thing, Hooker wasn't Heupel's original starting QB at TN. Joe Milton was his starter in Heupels first game, got injured, and the backup Hooker came in and has started ever since. Nobody knew what was going to happen. This team, the scheme, speed, play-calling, player fit, coaching has all been a huge and very nice surprise.

Hendon's a good player and has done a great job running Heupel's offense. He has played himself into the Heisman conversation. Even if he wins the Heisman, I just don't see him being great in the NFL unless a team completely changes their offensive philosophy and scheme to fit him. The quick no huddle that Heupel runs requires the D to be on the field more than the O. You need a D with great depth which you can have in college with 100+ players on the team. Plus the skill level of NFL defenses and coaching is just too great for it to work the same way in the league as it does in college.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Anything can happen, and No it won't.....what about 80% of the starting Qbs are running Qbs now....So in a Year of lowest points scored in a while it would not surprise me. Again I say if 80% of the Qbs were Women...it would be a big chance that a woman would win a SB.....would it not???? Doesn't make them a better Qb.
    Again....in a world of the Blind....even a one eyed man is king.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I heard the same from Florida's Qb, and when Georgia blasted Him where He couldn't run as much....bam....below average Qb. Any time Your Qb depends on running.....example.....sucks when He can't run....Well that's a running Qb....Don't tell Me anything about the SEC.....I've been watching it before You were born.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You running Qb lovers always bring up Mahomes.....they never design Runs for Mahomes never. Big freaking difference running around trying to throw down the field, or taking off when it's Your last option....compared to designing specifically for the Qb to run. So stop even bringing up Patrick Mahomes. Hell Payton Manning rushed for almost 200 yards....was He a running Qb...LoL.
    It's OK....pretty soon the whole NFL will be nothing but, and then they will have lots of success....because there will be nothing else. It's way harder to teach a Qb to read the field, know all the routes, read a defense pre-snap, after the snap, and process everything quickly......It's much easier in School, and College just to grab a Wr that has a strong arm, and say look here ,and here each play, and if it's not there....take off. Believe Me ....I know. One can be done pretty Quickly....the other takes a long time.
    Same reason they went to cards on the sidelines....less to learn.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh yes you are, you’re going to hate it, lol.

What 80%? What are you talking about. Hurts, Allen, Jackson, Murray and Fields. Can possibly add Willis next season.

It’s funny to see you now saying this when you and everyone else disagreed and gave me grief when I said thats the way the league is trending. Most teams will be seeking that type of QB but it will be a long time still before the league is made up primarily of running QB’s.

That’s why if Hurts wins a SB this year, it blows your argument to hell that running QB’s can’t win.

17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    My mind is made up. Murray is overrated and overpaid and hasn't lived up to the hype now in his 4th season. I don't really see how anyone could even dispute that. Your love for Murray is weird but not surprising considering your man crush on AB.

• Like Like x 1