1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett vs 2023 QB class

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfire, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You claimed that height is not relevant. That simply isn't true. It is part of the equation. If you don't know that, you are even more ignorant than I thought.

I see you changed your tune from nobody questioning Young's arm to it not being the "majority consensus." Do you get tired when you move the goalposts like that? Let's move past the fact that you can have a majority or a consensus, not both, and point out that it is way too early to know who the No. 1 pick will be.

I don't love Pickett. I wrote in April that I would have preferred Hill or Loudermilk. I did always think he was much better than Willis and he was certainly worthy of a first-round pick. I also like what I've seen from him so far, but your implication that this is an emotional evaluation rather than a rational one is just more of your BS.

Also, I've seen plenty of mocks with Stroud ahead of Young. I've also seen one with Stroud first, then the Steelers taking Will Anderson ahead of Young. I think they should trade the pick, but man, I'd be very happy with Anderson.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....I was meaning the same. I actually think He has gotten better every year. You definitely have to stick with a Qb that does that. Does He have bad plays yes, but they all do. My only problem with J. Allen is they design way too many run plays for Him.....Well not against us....it wasn't needed. LoL, but that's not on Him that's on the Bills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am not.

Only my rankings good sir.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have their QB in Pickett, enough already about the QBs in the 23 class :rolleyes:, they better be worried about fixing other areas on the team.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Depends on how he plays

12 more games just like yesterday and yes you look

But he’s played 1 game let’s see if he progresses

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what are you basing this on

1 1/2 poor games

I think we need a little more data

Just as a help to you data means information

You could thank me if you weren’t ignoring me

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nah

Pickett knows it’s a river and not a lake

Bubby had a stronger arm

Kenny has some idea where he’s throwing it

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ole Bubby... Back in the day...My corner man, and Kickboxing coach's Brother was supposedly friends with Bubby...:shrug:

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't say poor so much as mixed. He did some good things in both games. He did some poor things in both games. He was put in an impossible situation Sunday, even with the injuries in Buffalo's secondary. He was under pressure most of the time, had no running game, and had receivers running poor routes and dropping passes.

Also, it's kind of nuts to have a rookie quarterback throwing the ball 52 times in his first NFL start. I know the game has changed some, but it wasn't that long ago that Roethlisberger didn't throw more than 30 passes during his entire rookie season. He didn't break 50 attempts until Week 8 of his third season.

Pickett is going to be tough to evaluate this season unless the team gets better. If anything, it is likely to be worse in the short term with the brutal upcoming schedule and Freiermuth out of the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Bryce Young...really??? Good grief!

Kenny Pickett, our rookie QB, just started his first NFL game, on the road, against the #1 ranked pass defense in the NFL and completed 65% of his passes for 327 yards that included three dropped balls and... wait for it... wait... wait... absolutely no support from the running game!! Not to mention the damn confidence, swagger, and the "I'm not backing down" attitude toward the challenge or opposing players. And before anyone brings up arm talent... two of the greatest QBs in the history of the NFL, Tom Brady and Joe Montana, were assessed as having average arm strength. Worked out pretty good for their teams I'm guessing.

If Kenny Pickett and his amazing accuracy, in and out of the pocket, had what Josh Allen had (a wall for an OL, outstanding rushing attack, receivers that didn't drop every other pass), he would have equaled Allen's production.

Unless Pickett reverts to every other QB we've had between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger... no way are we drafting another QB.

If the FO gets either of the top 2 picks of the draft (with two QBs being the top picks), they damn well better trade back picking up a surplus of high picks in this year and next year's draft... so they can build the team around Kenny Pickett. Any other move would be shortsighted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with most of this, but Allen does not have a great rushing attack. He doesn’t need one.

12. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Important reminder:no one knew last year that this year we’d be in the running for the top pick in the draft.

You can simultaneously say that you like BY more as a prospect, or even would take him this year, and also say that given the value last year and uncertainty about the future that Pickett was the correct choice then.

13. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Malone got 4 full seasons before he was replaced by Bubby Brister. And before him, Bradshaw struggled for his first 4 years? Although things move along faster than they did back then, i would agree on 2 years probation, however if KP is really playing badly this season and the Steelers have a chance to get a top QB in the 23 draft I think they do it.

14. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Ok, well it should be clear that Bryant Young is in a class of his own this year. Did you see what he did in the Alabama loss to Tenn? Magical.

Take a look at the first post in this Alabama message board that highlights some of the plays that show how special he is.
    (The last post in the thread also quotes some valuable PFF comparisons too.)

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/threads/give-bryce-credit-not-bill-obrien.331188/

15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Who the hell is Bryant Young?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Or getting a good quarterback if need be

17. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    We need to go back to drafting the best player on the board that’s how they use to do it. It worked then

18. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Cannon for an arm is right. I'll never forget a preseason game I was at vs Eagles at the old Vet stadium. Bubby had a play where he was flushed left until he set and launched a ball that had to have gone 70+ yards in the air. The Eagles corner Izel "toast"Jenkins had stopped chasing his receiver about 20 yards upfield from where he now stood because he thought there was no way anyone could throw it any farther. It was hilarious watching him try to scramble back to the receiver as he watched the ball sail over his head into the arms of the receiver who was standing still for 3 seconds waiting for the ball to arrive. I've never seen a ball thrown that far in my life, at least live.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They actually haven’t stopped doing that

Unfortunately a lot of number ones don’t pan out

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    Put Pickett on KC and he’s too 10 he’s learning only 4 games with the possibly the worst OC ever I think he’ll be a good one. Needs to stop bitching though shut up and play ! Not a good look

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    Really ? Pickett was not the best player on the board when they drafted neither was Najee ? I’m no scout but I’d pick the best guy available every round

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He was so magical you can't even get his name right, the Steelers aren't going to draft a 5'11 QB in the top 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who was better than Najee on the board?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    No clue won’t pretend I do just want to see the team competitive again and not a laughing stock.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I see fans say they should've drafted OL instead of Najee, but then they can't come up with a name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1