1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett/trubisky rotation?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 2, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago:thumbs_up:

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Friend even if Mason just killed it...they have 2 Bring people in. We would have had just one Qb otherwise. You can't go into anything with one Qb. All We had was Mason.
    For a pretty long time the Steelers have kept 4 Qbs in camp, and 3 in season.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Not stupid. Lol

To both you and @Blast Furnace

This is just me. I don't like playing rooks too soon. I feel the same about Pickens and Leal.

To me if a guy is 100% ready to go and you are sure of it, then by all means play him right away. Or, if you are desperate, and need a rook to play right away, then throw him out there and see what happens.

But in Pickett's case, the Steelers have Trubisky, so playing him right off the jump isn't really necessary.

Again, this is just me. Remember back in the day when everyone was on Lebeau for not playing rookies? I was on the other side of the fence screaming let those rookies sit. I just think you get more out of a guy when he is allowed to progress into his position, and not just thrown to the wolves. (Example Kendrick Green)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't care about age when it comes to making them a better player. If we were going to cut more years off, I could agree. But one year sacrifice to have a better QB, I rather have.

5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Terry would be minus a couple rings of that happened.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All very good points, and I was also with You on the D. Lebeau and not playing rookies....I thought that was fine, but......Qbs are different for Me...I have this strange thing about players not Drafted by the Steelers...
    I was just thinking about How Long it took Me 2 get use 2 Guys like Mike Tomczak, and Tommy Maddox. Batch never bothered Me because He was never really a starter, and He's a Pittsburgh guy.:shrug:....Like I said strange...I know.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dumb post

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Shouldn't that be the plan for all of them?

If Trubisky isn't better than Mason.. or they both are not better than Pickett... you can say Pickett is the most NFL ready guy if you want.. but both Mason and Trubisky have been doing it for years at this point.

The Steelers had a first round grade on Pickett..... but they also said they had a first round grade on 3 QBs this year.... and a 1st round grade on Mason.

People are excited because Kenny was in the building. Mason was in the room... even if you feel Kenny is more talented than Mason....i don't see how you can say Mason does not have a leg up as a professional. At least for today

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was really rooting for Mason, but I think he’s shown us who he is (a backup) and we need to believe him. He had his chances and by and large, failed to deliver.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The big reason for not taking Willis in the first round is he is a third-rounder. If the only reason they took Pickett is that he is pro-ready, it was a stupid choice. You take a quarterback in the first round for what he can be long term, not to fill the position for the upcoming season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    If the Panthers or Saints took Pickett... the Steelers would have made Willis or Riddler a first rounder

Will Pickett get the same 10 starts to decide who he is or does his first round status buy him s full season?

I'm not even a Mason fan... but the guy is 2 fumbles from DJ and Muth in a Detroit tie from being 6-4 as a starter. If batting. 600 isn't good enough how many wins does Pickett need to earn some love?

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Stupid stupid stupid

- The Steelers greatest QB

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t say the only reason but it is definitely part of the reason and clearly they think Pickett fills a need long term.

But if you are going to sit him then select QB with far superior traits which is Willis and develop him.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Huh?
    So You agreed its stupid?

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are overestimating how much thought I put into that response

I was just quoting Bradshaw

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What if they just thought they couldn't develop Him???
    I mean it's really hard 2 tell what He could be from the type of offense He ran,and the teams He played against.
    No matter what You think about Lamar....He was ahead of Willis in this department, and the Raven are playing Hell trying 2 Develop Him....Why do think they are going all in on D,and trading away Wrs,and not replacing them. They know it's not the Wrs....it's the System they have 2 run 2 make Lamar be able 2 play.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2022-5-3_11-31-24.jpeg

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Lamar is a better runner, Willis is a better passer with a better arm.

Maybe Willis fails but playing it safe when you are looking for a guy to keep up with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Watson, Jackson, Wilson isn’t really a viable plan if most people think he is already at his ceiling and will just be good.

You are looking for great. Willis has elite QB traits.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Judging quarterbacks by wins and losses is lazy and inaccurate.

There is no real evidence to support your first claim. There is only the report from Jerry Dulac that there was only one quarterback the Steelers would consider in the first round. He reported that multiple times before the draft. Of course, he also had the wrong quarterback, so who knows if it is true. It is still more evidence than you have for your theory.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Willis has a better arm than Jackson. Jackson's issues are accuracy, especially when he throws to the sideline, and decision-making.

The only elite quarterback trait Willis has is his arm strength. That alone does not make a great quarterback.

I get where you are coming from in saying the Steelers played it safe because Pickett clearly has a much higher floor than Willis, but I reject your premise that Willis has more upside when you look at everything about both quarterbacks. He has not shown that he could make good reads even in Liberty's simplistic offense. He has not shown a good feel for the pocket. He hasn't shown Pickett's level of accuracy either, and that was playing lower-level competition. To be clear, I'm talking about the 2021 version of both players. Those are all quarterback traits, too, areas in which Willis is a long way from elite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Since you like quoting Gerry Dulac

"The Steelers had at least three quarterbacks with first-round grades. They were determined to take one, even if the rest of the league did not agree with their evaluation"

LINK

And you have made the wins and losses statement before... sports are ALL about wins and losses... that's why they keep score. Fans in Detroit called Matt Stafford...STAT PADFORD. .. one winning season in LA and the argument for the HOF started. Did he suddenly just become good? No... he started winning games.... so yes you can be a good qb on a losing team... and a bad qb on a winning team..... ill take the guy who wins ugly vs loses pretty.

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Jerry is contradicting himself there, probably trying to cover for getting the wrong quarterback in his draft-day prediction.

That said, it's not like they haven't waited until later rounds to take a quarterback they claimed to have a first-round grade on in the past. Mason Rudolph is the prime example of that.

I have made that statement about wins and losses before because it is true. It is lazy. It is in accurate. That fans are doing it with Stafford does nothing to improve its validity. In fact, your anecdote demonstrates how foolish it is to judge quarterbacks that way.

23. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

So Dulac is credible when he backs your side of the debate and just covering his behind when he goes against what you say? You literally called my post a theory and used Dulac as your source.

I believe there are 28 QBs in the HOF. 2 have a losing record just under 500. Namath and Jurgenson....Namath loses SB 3 he is not in...simple as that. Jergenson was the best passer of the running era.

That's not fans voting.... if it's not about wins and losses.. should there not be more of them in the HOF? QBS.. right or wrong are judged on WINNING above all else.

If Mason was 10-0 with the exact same skill set there would have been ZERO attempt to upgrade him

And you know it... even if you won't admit it

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he pretty much blew his credibility on this one when he contradicted himself. I hadn't seen the article you linked until you posted it. When the guy contradicts himself, that ruins his credibility on that matter.

And no, I don't know that. I believe that Colbert and Tomlin are much smarter than that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would not advocate the rotation of QBs. If Trubisky starts, I think he will have a short leash. If Pickett starts, I'm thinking they leave him in to take his lumps. I guess it depends on the timing in the season and our record toward playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1