1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett/trubisky rotation?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, May 2, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Will Pickett and trubisky be used together? For instance when Terry Bradshaw was selected it took them a few years until he started being seen as our true QB. And also when he was injuries and etc, we would put in another QB.

So why not do that with trubisky and pickett for the next few years?

Have the Steelers work back and forth each time they see one have a problem, minor injury, etc..... Or maybe even change it up like Alabama did to Georgia in the BCS bowl a couple years ago that gave Alabama the win.

Pickett needs to learn how to see the field. But that won't take long and then he could start if he needs to.

Trubisky I honestly feels needed a new team. Chicago disrespected day one with the coach saying he didn't want a QB and etc disrespect.

I don't think either will be elite. But they're going to be good quarterbacks. Which will allow us to spend money on other players to building our team. (Which is what we needed to do for the best few years.).

And I really like our receivers, obviously RB #1. And etc. I think they improved the line thru free agency and that's why they didn't go for one in the draft.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's a helluva statement to make, and then say "we aren't going to debate that". I can understand saying Terry is #2, but potentially #3?????????? :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I am curious on how do y'all feel on trubisky and pickett working like that from our coaching staff?

Btw, you may want to rephrase the question. I read it a few times, and I'm not sure what you are asking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Why did you title it Terry Bradshaw 2.0, if you weren't talking about Bradshaw? Why not a title like Pickett v. Trubisky 1.0. What was the Steelers playoff record when Bradshaw didn't play in the playoffs?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Search that thread and you'll find exactly why. It was exhausted.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Where they rotate. Injury, skills not being a team like Alabama did on facing Georgia in the BCS a couple years ago, etc reasons.

It won't be like us having a #1 that is guaranteed for the next few years.

7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Go search the thread or simply look at history of the Steelers from day one Terry was selected.

8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I don't need to research the history. I either witnessed the history or read about what was happening. Bradshaw admits he had issues coming to Pittsburgh and it took him a while to mature. Unless you discovered that Bradshaw was Joe Gilliam's drug pusher, I am not sure what your point is. Bradshaw is basically Josh Allen with 4 rings.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No rotation, no reason, same QB’s athletic wise. Hell, Trubiskyis more athletic.

QB competition and best man win but if it’s not Pickett (earned not given) I am going to be even more pissed.

Big reason given for not taking Willis is Pickett is “pro ready”.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I would hate the idea of a rotation.

I personally hope Trubisky starts the season. Let Pickett ease into the starting role. At some point during the season, when Trubisky is either struggling, or injured, then make the switch.

I see no harm in grooming Pickett for a year. The goal here has to be to make sure he is prepared for the long term. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think many are over looking Mason

We went from Mason can do it

to

Trubisky has reinvented himself and is going to shock the world

to

Kenny Pittsburgh is the best of them all day 1

Trubisky was picked #2 and is on his 3rd team

Haskins was #15 and was despised by half the board

Pickett was #20 and has been pronounced the savior

The new guy is always the savior.... until he isn't.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m sorry but if they don’t play him right away then it’s even more ridiculous not taking the superior talented QB. If you are going to groom Pickets and redshirt him they should have taken Willis even more.

The big Picket mantra all draft season is he is pro ready. He actually worked his progressions, made real throws and not canned ones and has good play recognition. What exactly is the point of not giving him the opportunity to win the starting job.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm a strong believer in sit majority top quarterbacks a year. They learn so much.

15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I would be too... but he is 24. We cant wait too long. I suspect that if it is a toss up on who is better, Pickett will get the nod. The only way Pickett isn't the starter is if Trubisky out performs him immensely in camp through great play, or if Pickett shows through his own poor play that he isn't ready.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I would imagine Pickett gets the nod if its even close between him and Trubisky. I hope we made the correct choice.

I wouldn't rule out the Steelers getting another chance at Willis tho. When the Titans cut him in 2025, maybe Tomlin and the Steelers give him a call/chance ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I am reading Bill Cowher’s’ book so I’ll go with him

You need to pick one quarterback and go with him. The earlier you decide this in training camp the better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Second round of chicken wings. “You ready to play for the Steelers, Mailk”

• Like Like x 1
  19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    LOL

• Like Like x 1
  20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We aren't playing Mason Rudolph. He will get a "shot", but unless he is head and shoulders above Trubisky and Pickett he will again be a back up or released entirely. We just paid Trubisky (albeit back up money), and we just spent a first round draft pick on Pickett. We also spent a 7th round selection on another QB we liked in Oladokun. Its is very obvious that Mason Rudolph isn't in the long term plans for the organization. Its also not like he hasn't gotten his chances... his lack of performance in those chances are what pushed the organization to go get a FA QB and then draft two more (one of which was in the first round).

I think the "Mason can do it" crowd was copium at its finest. Just people trying to convince themselves that Mason Rudolph can all of the sudden become a starting caliber QB because we needed him to. They then saw some optimism in the Trubisky signing. He was first round pick who has had better success in the league than Rudolph and we were looking for ways the Steelers could maximize his abilities. Now we drafted the heir apparent. I understand the optimism for Kenny Pickett, as he is relatively polished for a guy coming out of college. Not all QB's are as pro ready as Pickett, and he obviously has shown the ability to get better. I understand his drawbacks as well, but there's no reason at the moment to think he can't be a really good QB for us.

Pickett has the best chance to become the next Steeler franchise QB
    Trubisky has a slim chance, but some chance for the same fate
    Rudolph has no chance

• Like Like x 1
  21. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We'll see how interested Trubisky is. He could win that job if he is motivated. If Trubisky is disinterested and Pickett struggles, Rudolph could win the job. In any case, the coaches should be sold on one of them.
    It will be very strange if Tomlin is quick to pull the trigger mid game or near the end of games to bring in a different quarterback. Flores did this in Miami with Tua and Fitz when he needed to win the game but management wanted to play Tua.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Let's not forget that this probably is Trubisky's last shot to salvage his career as a starting QB. If he can't take the reigns and beat out a mediocre rookie, then he'll most likely be relegated to backup status the rest of his time in the NFL.

I think Mitch is going to be pretty motivated.

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In this case Mason would probably be number two

No reason to keep Trubisky as a back up

• Like Like x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    With rookies I always like when teams err on the side of caution. I see no sense in rushing a guy out there before he's ready.

I'm not suggesting Pickett not be given the opportunity to compete. I just don't see the rush. We have all seen teams draft rookie QBs, play them right away, they suck, and fizzle out right away. I don't want to see that happen to Pickett.

I guess this all depends on how Kenny looks in camp. Whether he is NFL ready or not is just speculation at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....I want Him Now. LoL. I know it's Stupid, but I don't like the idea of having someone We didn’t draft staring at Qb.
    Like I said Stupid, but I can't help it.:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1