1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Two seasons isn't a long leash. Rudolph had four seasons with the team before 2022. Losing patience so quickly is out of character for the Steelers. It is a step away from what they have done for decades of success. Let's hope they are right.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe it just tells us that they are moving away from the patient approach that worked for decades. Maybe it is Khan cleaning house and building his own team. Maybe it is a bit of both?

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    "they are moving away from the patient approach that worked for decades". One can argue that for the last decade (at least) it hasn't worked.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I don’t know if this belongs in the Tebow thread or here: https://steelersnow.com/ex-steelers-player-compares-kenny-pickett-to-tim-tebow/

Ramon Foster said Pickett reached his ceiling and compared him to Tebow. He also makes the good point that Tebow… sorry Pickett… had 49 starts in college which means he was not a raw QB - his ineptitude was already set and couldn’t be improved.

I agree with Foster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

or - as a few here said, he had a low (er) ceiling, not enough to be 'great' - which is what we are seeking.

6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    ‘agreed. Ceiling was too low for anything but a back up.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is one way to look at it. Another is that the guy needed time to develop in college, so the pattern could have repeated itself in the pros.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett will probably never be a good enough QB to win it all with, his ceiling was always my concern and why I didnt want them to draft him but I sure would have liked to see what he could have done with a different OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    could be. Either way, he needs to be a back up until he can play as a competent starter - the NFL is not the place to slowly bring someone along with average physical/mental talent.

10. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agreed. Pretty well any other OC. I think it was best for the team to move on at this point. It wasn't working. Still in semi shock the number of moves they made. Excited for the season. I also think it was probably best for Pickett as well. Get a reset where he doesn't have the burden of expectation being a teams 1st round draft pick. Probably best for everyone involved.

• Like Like x 1
  11. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Your unwavering love affair for Kenny Pickett is uncanny. Two seasons isn’t exactly a short leash either. Mason didn’t play four seasons, he started 8 games which Ben was injured and went 5-3. Mason played well only lost his job due to a knockout concussion. I know you are one of those claiming he couldn’t hold Duck off the bench. Duck started 7 games and went 3-4 with Ben’s opening day loss to the Patriots we went 8-8 for the season. Outside of the 2019 season Mason was Ben’s backup for three seasons. Hardly as long a leash as Kenny had starting 24 games.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When you have to try to dismiss the other person's argument as emotional rather than logical as you just did, that is a sure sign you are losing the argument. Rudolph was in the league for four years. That counts. That he couldn't show them enough in those four years says something. That no team wanted him after his fifth year says something. That he had to settle for a low-paid backup job after that three-game stretch at the end of the 2023 season says something.

Rudolph did not lose his job due to the concussion. Once he was cleared to return, they put him back in there. He lost the job due to poor performance later in the season. You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to make up your own facts. Pickett was the one who lost his job due to injury and never got another shot.

13. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel like you won something. I’m pretty sure you respond emotionally to everyone on this forum. You cannot honestly believe Mason wasn’t suffering residual effects from that knockout concussion. Maybe your creepy love for Pickett is the reason he requested to be traded. You ever see the movie The Fan? :eek::lolol:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph was cleared to play. He played in three games before the stinker against the Browns and the poor start against the Bengals that got him benched. Why are you so focused on making excuses for Rudolph?

Once again, you don't trust your argument to stand on its merits. Are you getting emotional?

15. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Again it seems you are getting emotional over everyone else not crying about Pickett not having a fair shot. Kenny was given more than a fair opportunity than anyone in the QB room the last two seasons. The difference between you and I is that I am able to look at this argument objectively. You unfortunately are unable to do so through your Kenny-rose colored glasses. I am not getting emotional or personal over this at all. There are more important things in life. Am I laughing at you? Absolutely! I am having fun with this at your expense! Thank you for the comic relief in your emotional argument.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You really should stop trying to read my emotions. You are not good at it. I gave you a logical argument and responded by changing the subject and attacking the poster. It seems you can't handle the truth about Rudolph. That's okay. You will get over him eventually.

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    "losing patience so quickly is out of character for the Steelers" Should anybody ever argue that statement just say, Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin;)

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he does not quit, that is for sure. that why me thinks he is a family member of Kenny's - takes it WAAAAY too personal.

or it is an illness

one.....or the other!!

:beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As scribe said it is odd for the Steeler organization. What next, a new Head Coach every 2 years.:lolol: I would certainly hate that. I love saying 55 years, 3 Head Coaches. My friends team has had 14 in same time period. I like goofing with them and making them name them in order. Never forget Mike McCormack. I was at a Steeler/Eagle pre-season game in Philly and they destroyed the poor guy and it was a meaningless game. They had inflatable blow up dolls of the guy and were smacking them around the stadium saying some vile stuff. I was almost hoping the Steelers would lose just to save the guy from all the crap. We won, screw him!

• Like Like x 1
  20. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Again your only defense is accusing everyone else of being emotional. That is calling the kettle black. You like facts,… Fact… Kenny Pickett has the worst touchdown ratio per pass since 2000. Fact,… Mason Rudolph owns a few Steeler franchise records. Look it up!
    I don’t believe Mason Rudolph is the greatest QB, Kenny obviously is not either. The biggest knock against all three QBs the last two years is they are not Ben Roethlesberger. That is a tough act for any of them to follow. Fact Kenny Pickett has over 4k yards in 24 games, while Mason has over 3k yards in half as many games,… look it up. Again, I am not saying Mason was the future, but Kenny wasn’t either even with his long leash. Is it un-Steeler like after 2 seasons? Absolutely! But it is today’s NFL. If Brock Purdy played as bad as Pickett did do you really think the 49ers or any team for that matter would have stuck with him? I am sure it’s a resounding NO!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bless your heart.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You started your post with a false claim. I have presented logical arguments supported by facts. You responded with an ad hominem argument.

The immortal Stefan Logan owns a team record. So what?

Rudolph had four years to show the Steelers something. They found him wanting. So did the rest of the league. Even with those three games at the end of last season that impressed you so much, the market for Rudolph was weak. He signed as a backup for very little money. That should tell you something.

23. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    Don’t you think it’s sad that Mason showed more in 12 games than Kenny did in 24 games. You are too focused on tenure versus actual games. The 3 game stretch you are referring to, the reason the run game played so well is because defenses didn’t stack the box against Mason as they did with Kenny under center. Defenses respected Mason’s passing game more than Kenny and practically dared him to throw. The offensive line didn’t suddenly come together because Canada was gone, it was due to Mason having more pocket awareness, climbing the pocket and going through his reads. Kenny locked in on his first read and then bailed early on a clean pocket far too often. The fact that Kenny requested a trade at the first sign of a real QB competition should tell you something.

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Blast, put a fork in this thread already! It's a zombie that has lived way too long. :butcher::lolol:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

DAMN SKIPPY!!!!

@Blast Furnace show some humanity and let Kenny Pickett's Mom rest her Carpal Tunnel and consider her former students.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.