1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    So, yes and no
    There is the 'standard company line' as you describe.
    The 'actual' conversations are 'confidential.'

I have zero problem with 'changing their minds.'
    As mentioned, the goal is to win.

In the Chicago post which you took some liberty with..
    The point is, they didn't come out with a lot of absolutely zero garbage... We have a ton of drama.
    While that makes you laugh, it does contrast the two.
    We probably should have kept the doors closed and toed the company line a little better instead of letting Dulac spew his gossip column, or at least said he is wrong.
    Instead, we have this... which given the light of the Killer B's crazy experience, business as normal I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still say if Pickett stayed he would have had a chance, but he had to compete and fight for it. This would have been a benefit for him to learn from a veteran like Russell Wilson. He unfortunately did not have the veteran presence in Mitch and Mason. On one hand if he didn't see the field this year the narrative would be he lost his starting job and it would have dropped his eventual free agent potential. With him going to the Eagles it may have been a smart move only in that many believe he was not given a fair shake in Pittsburgh. His contract is through 2025, which means he may be sitting on the bench for two years behind Jalen Hurts making him a 27 year-old free agent in 2026 with a stat sheet that will not be begging a franchise to make him their future. He will be in the league a few years as viable back-up. My prediction will be potential Jets QB, but most likely a Ravens back-up.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think I would have liked to see Pickett stay and be the back-up to learn for a year.

I'm excited for Russ,but the most likely is a 1 year deal, unless things go insanely well.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is funny to contract the reactions of Steelers fans to the Pickett trade and Bears fans to the Fields trade. A large percentage of the fanbase in Chicago is pissed that the team traded Fields away. Both quarterbacks were disappointing, but Fields had one more year than Pickett and neither guy has great numbers. The Steelers certainly had more success as a team with Pickett at quarterback. Part of that is the leaks by the team. Part is how the organizations are perceived. I think part is that we are spoiled in terms of quarterback play and team success.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's all I need. You have said many many many times how Mason got his shot, and couldn't beat out Trubisky, and KFP, and as soon as KFP left ....You said he wouldn't get a fair shot...

To anyone with a brain.....That's You being a freaking Hypocrite. You know this, I know this, and anyone that can read knows this....so run along Hypocrite

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

You and many here are claiming they sent Fields to the Steelers because they wanted to do right by him.

You're telling me that if another team offered a first and a fourth round pick for Fields....that they wouldn't have taken it?

You are telling me that's how business is done, but you are naive to how business really works in the NFL. Some of you have no idea and have this idyllic notion in your heads that this organization and other organizations are above board with everything. They are not.

Go do a search of players that said their teams lied to them. You may be surprised at what you find.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And part of it is that Justin Fields didn't act like an entitled spoiled brat in the months leading up to his departure. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Noticed there were crickets after the first time I pointed this. Oops.

Heyward slaso said the refusal to dress sorry was bs. Oops again.

So pretty much all you got is a curt “no” to a question.

9. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm surprised I didn't see anyone clamoring for Josh Dobbs to be signed as a third. Remember when some last year were saying we should have kept Josh Dobbs and let Mason go? Yeah, that was fun. Now Josh is heading to his 8th team in 8 seasons.

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    When Dobbs won a game for Arizona and then a couple for Minnesota, there were people on the board saying that. It just proves that three games are three games, but a season is 17 long.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If the Ravens get him and are forced to start him this message board would implode into a billion pieces if Kenny kicks our ass twice in a season.:sneak:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he would still only be a backup.

13. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep reading comments on how Kenny was wronged by the Steelers and lied to by Tomlin. Another perspective is that he didn’t really earn the job other than draft status and a failing Mitch Trubisky. While he may have been told he would be competing, he took it for granted it would be Mason and a late draft pick. By signing Russell Wilson and telling him Russ would be getting first team snaps, the intention may have been to light a fire under his butt. Instead of meeting the challenge he surprised everyone by asking for a trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you talking about, he ended up being better than anyone thought he would be. He got two starting gigs, Rudolph went through two off seasons and still didn’t get a starting job. He’d be fine as a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Be cool if that happened. If Tomlin is still coach for Steelers at that time, it's guaranteed loss cause Tomlin can't beat teams with garbage QBs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently you haven’t been reading the posts here lately

17. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know about him being wronged, but I'm pretty sure he was lied to by Tomlin. No way Wilson signed without assurances that he was the starter. Once they signed Wilson, there was no intention to have a real competiton. Same thing happened to Rudolph a couple of years ago when he was told he would be in an open competition to become the starter and then the team signed Trubisky and drafted Pickett and had a fake competition when they already knew who they were starting.

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    2C4E0BFC-4978-4ED2-A67E-A81FA4B660C9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

20. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I'm sure they can interview many of his teammates that would repeat what Kuntz said.

It's amazing who and what posters here will believe, as well as who and what they won't. They will believe teams that lie constantly, leak information, and mislead and lie to players and break promises about playing time...about contracts....about just about anything if a better option comes up.

What many won't do is use common sense to figure out how things work in the NFL.

We still don't know who literally fought for Matt Canada to be hired. We still have no idea how much control Tomlin has over the defense. We still have no idea who was in favor of firing Canada and who was not. We still have no idea if limitations were put on Pickett by Canada or Tomlin to take care of the ball. We have no idea if Kenny was allowed to call audibles whenever he wanted. We have no idea who made the mistake when a wide receiver and the quarterback weren't on the same page.

We can't find out those things over a period of years because the organization and coaching staff keep everything locked up like Fort Knox. Nothing gets out that they don't want to get out. Nothing.

If people would just use common sense, they would have a better understanding of how teams control the message and control the narrative. Almost all information that is out there is information that was leaked for a reason. Almost nothing gets out unless they want it to get out.

Everyone is going to believe what they want to believe. They have made themselves hate the guy. They have already made up their minds that Kenny Pickett is a bad guy. They want to believe that the team was all upstanding and straightforward with Pickett, and Pickett is a whiny chicken**** that wouldn't compete. Anybody that ever played this game at a high level understands that the competitiveness of players is off the charts. Kenny Pickett didn't finish 3rd in the Heisman and become a first-round draft pick because he wasn't willing to compete.

If only people could understand how ridiculous the notion of Kenny Pickett being afraid to compete is.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    And yet it was Kenny that quit on the team and asked to be traded.

• Winner Winner x 3
  22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    BINGO! Kenny Pickett made the decision that he wanted to enter the NFL transfer portal and get out of Pittsburgh. After two seasons! He wanted nothing more to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers because they were trying to improve the makeup of the QB room which he was a part of! He bailed on the Steelers. Period. Full stop!

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    But he didn’t compete

He asked to be traded

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because he knew it wasn't going to be a real competition. Wilson was going to be the starter unless his throwing arm fell off during training camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. These guys are A-type personalities. Makes more sense to me that he saw the writing on the wall about the Steelers idea of competition and chose a different path. We can argue if that was a smart move or not but he probably wanted a fresh start. I forget who said it but its a product or portal babies at the college level. Probably some truth to that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.