1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Reports have New England, Las Vegas, and the Giants.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I think the Eagles and Steelers were the only two teams that were truly interested. If others were, the Bears would have gotten much more for Fields.

I believe the Steelers knew exactly who was interested in Fields...and who was not.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Glad you enjoyed!!! :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  5. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

Hmm. Cool. Nothing verified yet.
    Not arguing just curious myself.
    Fields chose the Steelers

Some stated both QBs came because of Mike Tomlin.

7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I hope he’s more Steve Young and less Kordell Stewart. I hope Smith can channel his inner Bill Walsh

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Ok I saw the Falcons as one too

9. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I heard it reported about the Bears doing him a solid yesterday.

We know Tomlin is liked and respected by many NFL players.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As do we all.

That said, Bill Walsh had some really good "building blocks" to work with. Here is hoping Arthur Smith can find his in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Latest is Fields wanted to come here and that the Bears had better offers. Who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022

YAAY THANKS TOMLIN!!!!!

13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Supposedly they were offered more, but wanted to do right by fields and accepted the Steelers offer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I know that's the story. I just don't know that it's true.

What do the Bears owe Fields? What do the Steelers owe Pickett?

If so, that's a very cool gesture by the Bears. It's just very coincidental that as soon as the Steelers shipped Pickett to the Eagles, the Bears made the deal with the Steelers for next to nothing. The only other thing that would fall in line with that story is if the Eagles and the Steelers were the only two teams that Fields was willing to go to. So when the Steelers solved the backup role for the Eagles with the Pickett trade, the Steelers were the only option.

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Latest report field’s agents made it happen.

16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What do the Bears owe Fields? He's been the consummate professional. He's popular in the locker room, with the coaches, and in the city. It's not that they owe him, it's that they are letting their players know that if you have the teams best interests at heart, they will re-pay the favor. It's part of why people WANT to play for Tomlin.

17. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Players want to play for Tomlin because of job security. Players see losers like the fat punter, Bush, 34 (i can't remember that safety's name) play to the end of their contract when they are just junk - so signing up for Tomlin is likely a guaranteed contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No mention of the Steelers. Interesting.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn’t work for DJ And KP

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And he may have been. There are no guarantees with Russell Wilson. He hasn’t looked like the same quarterback making annual visits to Pro Bowls and winning Super Bowls from a few years ago. If Pickett had followed Rudolph’s example and kept his head down and nose to the grindstone, he probably would’ve gotten another chance. But instead, he has to manipulate his way out of town. I just don’t get his sense of entitlement at all. He’s not Ben, he hasn’t earned anything at this point but seemed to feel as though he had. Bizarre.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Didn't you hear Kenny is the victim here? The Steelers should have walked on eggshells around him to not hurt is overinflated super ego. How about let's throw a first down let alone a touchdown.

Ok I'll stop before I get really mean.

While I guess it's possible the Khan man is so masterfully manipulative that he forced Kenny to get pissed by his own diabolical plan to trade him to Philly with foreknown knowledge that the Bears would so graciously provide Justin Fields for a conditional 6th round pick.

The more plausible explanation is exactly what's being reported that Kenny felt entitled to the #1 QB spot, got upset when the Steelers signed Wison, and then demanded a trade.

I guess we will never truly know. With all that said, I wish Kenny the best. The Steeler QB room got massively better imo.

I do not see the Steelers trading Kenny without a request because he was a cheap backup option in his rookie deal with 2 years left with starting experience.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He was just in the PB in 2021...the only years he wasn't in the PB were the two years in Denver and 2016. Once could make an argument that he could have made it in 2023 if it wasn't for how stacked the AFC was at QB. Statistically his 2023 was in line with most of the other years he made the NFC PB roster.

• Informative Informative x 2
  23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    They spoke up! Tomlin no tolerate no whistleblower! Happened to chucks as well.

To complete the rule to pass every anal person's anal filter: in return for guaranteed money, Tomlin expects every player to support his dumb decisions. Those who speak out, are culled.

Happy now?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't give a damn who lied to who here. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Pickett is gone and I think the team is better off for it.

Does anyone here really believe that if Steeler brass thought Pickett was the guy they would have traded him for a what amounts to a handful of magic beans? I think they'd seen all they needed to see. Yes, the spotty line play and Canada didn't help, but a QB worthy of being chosen in the first round would have almost certainly shown more than Pickett. Much more. Matt Canada didn't miss open receivers or cause Pickett not to see open receivers to throw to. That was on him, and we all saw it multiple times.

Their QB room is better today than it was last season. How much better remains to be seen. But it is better. So, I could give the furry crack of a rat's behind if Kenny was lied to. How many of us been lied to by ownership and management at our jobs? You suck it up and move on. The Steelers have a business to run, and they are trying to build a team capable of making the playoffs. He'll get over it with his cap on backward and clipboard in hand in Philly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah, he is gone.

I think a lot of you guys forget how bad our offense was at the beginning of the season… that was all Canada and our under performing offensive line.

Steelers bungled his development.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.