1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett traded to Eagles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Both did a good job as backups after no longer being starter caliber. Neither were ever going to be starters here or anywhere else after playing here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just adding to the list.
    Chear up man. The Steelers are making some noise for a change.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Joe Montana

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But you’ve got to give Khan some credit for creating a sense of urgency with these moves, don’t you, Knox? Some of our defensive stars aren’t getting any younger and Khan seems to have a “win now” approach to rebuilding the team. And he’s not mortgaging the future to do it. In fact, I’m shocked at how cost effective ($ and draft capital) these moves have been. After a couple of years we’ll see whether or not they were the right moves, but with Russ running the offense and one of the best run games in the league, I’m cautiously optimistic we’ll make some noise in the 2024 post season. :thumbs up:

5. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I loved both Batch and Byron during their time in Pittsburgh. I hear what you're saying but just having a hard time getting excited about more of the same grabbing QBs that nobody else wanted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    So who were you bringing in?

7. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    The steelers thinking that Russell Wilson can be like Brady, Peyton, Joe Montana at this late stage of his career is laughable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Nearly every QB drafted in rounds 1 and 2 in 21 and 22 are on different teams. In all the talk, in terms of past % nearly every QB taken in the first round this year will be a bust, maybe all make it, if 2 of 5 or 3 of 6 make it, it's still 50 % or less. We got these 3 guys for literally nothing, in terms of today Vs the end of the season our QB room is better. Will Russ reignite and like the SB years, doubtful, was he last year better than what we had, yes. Will Fields sign a cheap extension for an extra year or two, get some better technique. perhaps, or will he be like Jamis Winston and be a career back up? Likely, but what do we care, right now our QB room is better, and the cost is almost nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    We’ll see. He’s a different QB than any of those guys but still seems to be in pretty good condition. And after Brady played until he was 45, Russ seems to be fairly youthful. He says he wants to play 5 more years and win a couple of more Super Bowls. We’ve got a great run game and defense to support him so I think he’s a good fit. He may not amount to much as the new Steelers QB, but at $1.2 million it was worth the risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This… im 50-50 on these deals… but something doesn’t smell right… I honestly thought Russ was done his last couple of years with Seattle. Saying this, our qb room looks way better on paper than last year. Got both starting qbs for less than we paid Mitch. Go Steelers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    This is unheard of, but it is true

12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I, nor you, know what the steelers are thinking. What we do know is they signed a guy for 1.2 million, and got someone else for a conditional 6th round pick, and for at least this season have a QB room that looks better than thay have had for several years. We did not give up 5 or 6 picks to move up and draft a guy who has 50 to 20 % chance of being a bust, we did not break the bank on a soon to n=be 36 yo, coming off major injury, who has won one PO game in his career.

We are in the 'find the next" QB after your HOF guy retires. It's not easy, but this year is that, this year. To have a QB room like this for the amount spent is pretty remarkable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019

Agreed, I'm not sold on Russ as the future, even short term as some are suggesting. He may surprise and warrant some contract, if he is asks for Dak or Kirk money, let him find it elsewhere, if his performance is actually good, then a contract like TB gave Baker may be in order, doable, relative short term and not cap breaking. Same with Fields, no 5th year, try to extend for 2 or 3 years and see where it goes. Nothing to really squawk about here, our QB room is better this year, that's where the focus should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

So who would you have brought in, i'm curious?

15. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Finding a franchise qb can take years to find. But in meantime you got to get players now to up your chances at winning. I think Steelers have done good with these picks. Like I said a million times already, drastic improvement from last yrs qb room

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Look at his avatar. He was hoping they could coax Ben out of retirement. ;)

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    For me the only QB that warranted a look was Sam Howell. not necessarily as a starter, but as an improvement in the QB room. His trade value was not bad, could have been done, but wasn't. The others you can speculate on, but Omar (at least on paper) in one week did quite a bit, with little expense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I liked Howell too. I think he has an opportunity to be a legit starter. He’s comparable to Baker Mayfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What else were they going to do at QB? Spend a fortune on aging Kirk Cousins coming off a major injury? No thanks.

They got two guys cheap with upside. Wilson offers short term fix if he can re-find his game in Arthur Smiths system and the other a possible long term solution with a low floor/high ceiling. If neither work, cost them little money and easy to move on from.

Still need to round out the QB room so I wouldnt be surprised if they still draft one. Maybe they get lucky there. Won’t be an early pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't disagree with you that the QB room is better. To me, that is more of an indictment of the dumpster fire we've had at QB since Ben retired. Shine up a turd all you want but it is still a turd. Just having a hard time getting as excited as some of you guys about a failed 1st round pick who the drafting team and fans didn't want because he just isnt good and an aging small has-been who is on the downside of his career.

Better? Yes. Capable of taking this team on a deep playoff run? Doubtful. Cheaper? Of course but I'm tired of the Steelers being the aldi's of the nfl. How about we buy a nice steak at the fresh market instead of some cube steak at walmart. I will be very happy to be wrong.

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That's the problem with being mid level, you never stink enough to get in the top 10 to pick, so you are left with that. Not disagreeing that there should have been a plan, even to the point of not putting all that money into Ben's last contract. GB went from Farve, to Rodgers, now to Love (who looked like he may have been abust to now possibly a true franchise guy). I don't think many can make that claim with success at QB. The whole process is a gamble, Omar seems to be filling and building around the position, putting his own mark on players. From last years draft, to the movements he has done I'll be interested to watch and see how it works out, and I do not necessarily see Russ or Fields as 'the guy, but for what we had, to what was out there, it is a pretty amazing transformation for the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hypocrite
    About this You are

23. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Never was crazy about drafting a Qb that needed gloves to throw a football anyway

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw an early game in the season with Howell and I was actually impressed. He made smart decisions with the ball when the play went off script.

I guess the rest of the season went off the rails that led to him being shipped out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He didn’t have much of a support system in Washington though. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.