1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett to Pickens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bradshaw12, Nov 20, 2022.

1. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Over the last month I have read and heard a few times about the "chemistry" between Pickett and Pickens. What am I missing here, nothing I have seen indicates any such thing. I would like it to be true, how Pickens isn't getting double digit targets every week is beyond me. So when I hear an announcer speak about the chemistry between the two, what are they seeing that I am not? It's definitely not Murray-Hopkins, Cousins-Jefferson, Mahomes-Kelsey.

2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Nothing is clicking yet. When people speak of chemistry between the two, I think it is more or less that they are anticipating that there eventually will be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    was saying the SAME THING to friends this week. DON'T SEE IT AT ALL. No chemistry anywhere.....yet.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Look no further then the head coach who told Pickett not to look for Pickens to much. Why? I have no clue. He is a playmaker. They need to get him more involved. I feel Pickens and Freiermuth are the best two playmakers. Then Johnson. And Heyward is now in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I think Aaron Rodgers is saying the same thing this season about lack of chemistry with his WRs.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Imagine Rodgers with Pickens! Epic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Actually I just thought it sounded funny, Pickett to Pickens. I didn't think they would be something special but I sure the hell would like that to become true over the next few seasons.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There has been no consistency yet. So many factors, but Canada's play calling has to be near the top of the list. You are correct though, both of these guys show flashes that can be built upon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'd expect chemistry with his TE as a rookie before a WR...and a rookie WR at that.

Ideally his TE should become his best friend. Usually in the center of the field...don't have to look for him and easy to find...and there when you need him. I think Pickens can become that chemistry guy. But both Pickett and Pickens need to broaden their games. As talented as Pickens is...he's still limited right now. And doesn't get separation consistently enough. He needs to beat guys in the route more often and not rely on his ability to win contested catches. He's a rookie, he'll get there. But I don't see it yet. I see a world of talent and if his game is refined, he has the potential to be that chemistry guy...and an elite NFL wide receiver for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Here’s a hint… E25A9768-3FAB-4DCA-BAD1-E2794655C482.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    We don’t practice Pickett throwing certain routes to pickens because we’re busy all week training pickens to do end arounds ok

And with the loss of claypool we’re gonna see that be a bigger role for Pickens and we’re really liking some of theses 2 yard gains on 3 and long

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    You’ve got two rookies who have never played together in the past - one of whom was not the starter to begin the season. I think it’s a stretch to expect instant chemistry.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    i thought chemistry referred to them drinking alcohol after practice/games together.

14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Was Pickens punished last week for going off script during last weeks TD? He was supposed to continue out wide, but broke it off up field when he saw a hole and the goal line?
    He should run them as you call it, right?

15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Pickett is the QB and Pickens usually leads in receiving yards. They have the most chemistry compared to the other Steelers pass catchers. Unfortunately that is not saying a lot.

16. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I think Pickens has the most talent as far as the wide receivers. Which is probably why DJ has seen less targets. I am sure DJ will soon start chirping about that and become a distraction. Pickett knows that Pickens and Muth are his bread and butter and thats very smart on his part to utilize the best talent.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It was nice to see Heyward

18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Pickett/Pickens chemistry
    That does take a while to develop. That comes when all they have to do is glance at each other and adjust the play/route.
    I haven't really seen that Back shoulder placement type passing yet.

Pickett has targeted the TE ~57 times, 2nd most. TE is a QB's best friend. That's looking like a nice connection.
    D. Johnson gets the most targets. ~76.
    Pickens is 3rd with 53.

Pickens also has the most 20+ plays with 10
    There is only 7 TDS and that has to go up a lot.

An Assessment:
    I get a 'hunch' that Omar/Wiedl are possibly in the early stages of shopping OC's. But most football teams are always looking at that sort of thing, so a hunch is just a hunch. They can't talk to anyone other than advisors/consultants.
    I do feel like that is a change coming sometime in Jan.

Some background on his system
    In defense of Canada, something I struggle with, it is a massive change and given the state of the Steelers roster at the time, it was not something that could change overnight.
    In stark contrast, good Offensive Coordinators will evaluate the personnel on-hand and adjust the schema to fit. But again, Pittsburgh is in a tough spot in light of Ben retiring, making a mistake in Mitch Trubisky (they were limited in choices) and having a rookie.

Still I have issues with the way they've gone about it. With a rookie, you try to limit the potential for mistakes. It is great that they trust him enough to throw 50 times, but that is supposed to be the exception. It is 'trial by fire' and what comes out of it is for the better, be it the connection made with Pickens or the TE Pat Freiermuth. Hopefully the entire unit bonds regardless of the OC.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1