1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickett’s Thoughts on Tomlin, Canada and Flores

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 18, 2023.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Frank Reich would DEFINITELY be an improvement. He was a very good OC. There are also some bright, young offensive minds out there. The passing game coordinator for San Francisco, Bobby Slowik, will be a hot commodity. There are others. Canada SUCKS and his retention is an act of CHARITY!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben won plenty of games the same way Pickett beat the Ravens, and Raiders, I guess that was luck too :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  4. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And he loves Matt Canada for recruiting his son, Dino, to Maryland while he was the interim head coach of the Terrapins. Just saying…:shrug:

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Man come on that's just some pissed off fans nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    But, but, but what about all the people on this site who thought Tomlin hired Flores out of pity or political correctness and that Flores had little to nothing of value to offer? Can we all agree that literally none of us know what happens behind the scenes of a pro football team if we are not on the team, which none of us are.

Brian Flores, a defensive coach, was helping our rookie QB with handling a 2 minute offense. This is awesome because it means, to me, that the Steelers have some very talented coaches and Tomlin gives the coaches the freedom to coach outside of their “box”. Of course it should not be lost on us that Flores was also a head coach so he sees the games from the perspective of a head coach, which is all encompassing, and not merely the position he coaches. I certainly hope Coach Flores is back though I suspect the rest of the NFL knows he is more valuable than his assignment and pay with the Steelers.

Give this man a raise.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    This is such a dumb headline that it makes my head spin.
    Coach does not like winning by a lot of points? Stupid to even make this argument.

No coach in the history of any sport prefers to win by fewer points, runs, goals, etc. Sometimes they have no choice because of their team to coach that way.
    Did Rollie Massimino want Villanova to hold the ball for 45 seconds per possession to beat Georgetown in 1985 or was that strategy the only way ‘Nova could beat Georgetown?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Adding insult to injury he stole it from sdot

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Could be. But you can rest assured that the question will be asked given that Canada’s job performance has been well below the line. There is NO WAY he should have been retained. Tomlin is human and at times personal feelings play a role in tough business decisions and often get in the way of the correct decision. Could that be the case here? Maybe it’s not, but the decision to retain Canada’s services is perplexing to many.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I stole nothing from sdot. He was paid fair market value. :rolleyes::lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope Flores sticks around longer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You ever think firing Canada isn't entirely up to Tomlin, when was the last time Art paid a coach to not coach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought Tomlin would lean heavily toward retaining Canada but I really thought Rooney would force Tomlin’s hand and compel him to make a change. Whatever the case, Canada is not an NFL OC and it’s unfortunate the Steelers organization is settling for sub-par performance, whether due to personal relationships, contractual obligations or something else. Maybe Rooney just didn’t want to pay two offensive coordinators but is that reason enough to retain an OC who has no more than ten plays in his Saturday playbook according to Dan Orlovsky.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    And maybe that’s why we haven’t won a playoff game in six years and only a couple over the last 12 years, giving up an average of 45 points in our last three playoff appearances. The point is status quo is no longer good enough. It’s time to shake things up a bit. Nothing drastic but if we can’t fire a coach just because he still has a year remaining on his contract then we deserve to continue our .500 seasons and getting blown away when we’re able to back into the playoffs courtesy of other teams having to pull off major upsets.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Reich will be a head coach.... probably for the Texans....so your point is moot.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    $0

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    100% ... Pickett 7 pass TD | 9 INT

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    My point is not moot at all. There are much better options out there than Canada. Maybe Reich will get a head coaching gig and if he does, good for him. But if not and he wants to remain in coaching I could think of much worse OC gigs than to be able to work with our talented group of young offensive players. I would think that a lot of prospective OCs would relish that opportunity.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with that up to a point. I believe Canada mayhap was brought in because of it....I don't believe We keep Him this following year because of it. JMO. I believe We keep Him because....1. We showed a bit of improvement...
    2. A rookie shouldn't have to keep changing OCs/language every year. After a few years in the NFL it won't be as hard on Him changing OCs...., but now it could. Hell He hasn't even played a whole season yet.
    3. He was still under contract, and Steelers usually do business that way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well We know Tomlin, and Ben wanted to keep Arians, but He was fired/let go anyway. So I agree....Tomlin doesn't have the final say.

• Like Like x 1