1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Dec 4, 2022.

1. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    DJ? Any mentoring he might have given was to complain if you are not getting enough passes your way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What are you talking about?

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Afc north my mistake

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The bengals made the playoffs?

I don't recall this russell Wilson bet.

5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    AB might have had cte but we wont know until he passes away on day. what I do know is seeing a wr make a fool of himself when team is winning makes me gringe. Its not what we need when we are in total rebuild mode with a new QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Just go back , and look. You don't have to remember. It's in print. LoL

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin just said ( prty much) that he is ok with Pickens sideline antics,.. Said he could have done it differently , but was ok with it........Leave it to the fans/ media to make a bigger deal than it was

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Mentoring...the last sentence was forewarning of what was to come

https://triblive.com/sports/diontae...ts-might-be-granted-when-steelers-face-colts/

Diontae Johnson's pleas to get more targets might be granted when Steelers face Colts

“You see it, but what can I do?” Johnson said. “What can I do differently out there? What can coaches do differently as far as getting me in different spots? Those are a few things we’ve been talking about this week.”

Johnson also has talked to Pickett about getting more targets. Pickett has developed a rapport with Pickens, a fellow rookie, that hasn’t manifested yet with Johnson.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm with coach Tomlin on this one. I'd rather have a competitor ... then, someone, that don't want to be a part of the greatness ... that this team is building. He has to learn how to handle his frustrations better while keeping that competitive fire! This kid want to be and will be great.

• Like Like x 3
  10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    More defenses will cover him like a WR1 especially if Diontae continues his drops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Come on man, thats not remotely the same as what Pickens is doing. One is being an adult and figuring out what he and the team can do to improve and one is acting like a baby on the sideline.

There are real reasons to get down on DJ, his hands and running backwards. Dont have to make things up about his character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Yes, Mike, this is what most people are talking about, that he go about it professionally. Not that he wants the ball, of course he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Being competitive is great. Acting like a punk when you don't get the ball is not. Your teammates get paid, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers don't like participation trophies. They want to be great. And, to have this type of talent and don't utilize him ... is frustration and down right ridiculous. Wouldn't being a punk ... not caring and just collecting a check?!

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As I wrote earlier, I understand the occasional outburst. It is the pouting afterward that I think is a bad look. You can care without the immaturity.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You're the one bringing up the claim so you go back and look. And did burrow and the bengals already clinch the playoffs?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's a rookie ... that's use to being utilized and winning. Frankly, I don't think his coach, teammates or Pickens care at all ... how you view him. I'm just pointing out that, he is not acting like a punk or immature ... in my opinion. What you see as being a punk ... many others see as competitive fire. Don't characterize a young player ... for venting on the sideline ... smh. I've seen many vets do worse ... and are HOfer.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He didn't just vent. He pouted. He did it long enough that Heyward had to come to talk to him. That's not just a brief, emotional outburst. Outbursts are competitive fire. Pouting is not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have your mind made up. And, it's not my job to change it. But, I bet you one thing ... that Pickens, will get more looks, from now on. That's a solution ... for getting rid of ... what you call pouting.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

Of course, Pickens blames the media. It's not what he did. It is what they chose to report. Never mind that it wasn't just professional media. It was fans on social media.

He said he could name many receivers who behaved that way on the sideline before. The one he named? Terrell Owens, as if that comparison of behavior would paint him in a good light. The reason Owens bounced around during the second half of his career despite being a dominant player was his off-field behavior. Don't get me wrong. If Pickens turned into Owens as a player but the cost was putting up with some of the antics, I'd take that in a heartbeat. I don't think it is a big deal, but I don't understand why people can't admit that pouting on the sideline while his team is winning is a bad look.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's possible. The Steelers have a history of caving into players who behave badly. Unfortunately, that hasn't gone well in the past.

Yes, I will stand by my opinion that an NFL player pouting on the sideline is a sign of immaturity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    But, he is exactly that, immature. That isn’t exactly uncommon for people of that age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    A lot of good I did. He was still bellyaching even after Cam talked to him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    I didn't say anything about DJ's character, only that DJ openly complained and started getting more throws his way, and then Pickens complained, though more emotionally.

Personally, I believe Pickens was the best WR in the draft, ACL injury knocked him down to Steelers. Sadly, the fantasy sites today have better writeups on players than the sports reporting sites who tend to focus on controversy, so I'll link to one for short summary of him. I'll be very disappointed if his skills are not utilized more, especially in the redzone.

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/points-outlook/george-pickens/12599
    • Pickens hit Georgia as a top-25 overall prospect in his recruiting class.
    • As a true freshman, he led the Bulldogs in all major receiving categories, accounting for 19.2% of the catches, 23.3% of the yards and 30.8% of the TDs. He beat then-fellow SEC wideouts Jerry Jeudy and Justin Jefferson in Pro Football Focus receiving grade that year.
    • Pickens lost 2 games to injury in his sophomore season but still led his team in catches, yards and TDs per game.
    • Pickens tore his right ACL in March 2021. He played in Georgia’s regular-season finale last fall but managed only 5 receptions across the final 4 games.
    • He had bounced back enough to participate in the Scouting Combine, where Pickens ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash at 6’3, 195 pounds. That’s a 74th-percentile time among NFL WRs; 78th-percentile speed score.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hated the way Pickens looked in the Colts game trying to catch those low balls.

It is like he had never heard of the concept of Getting your hands under the Ball. When trying to catch a low-low ball you want to get your hands between the ball and the ground.

• Like Like x 1