1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pickens signs deal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 13, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Context matters, here’s the whole quote from what I said:

He has the best hands in the class and only dropped 2 passes in his college career. He has amazing body control, tracking ability and catch radius. I don’t think he will be the #1 receiver this year as he is only a rookie but I can certainly see him taking over that roll eventually. At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me to see him have a Ja’Marr Chase rookie season.

I specifically stated I don’t think he will be the number 1 receiver because he is a rookie but because he has so much talent, it wouldn’t surprise me if he had a Chase type season either.

I think you may be only looking at Chase’s final numbers and not the season as a whole. He had a very up and down year with 11 games where he had under 100 yards receiving and 7 games under 50 yards. What ballooned his final numbers is he had several monster games. One for 266 yards, another for 201 yards and one for 159 yards. When I say I can see Pickens having a Chase type season its that I can see him having a few big games himself.

You keep stating his college stats as if playing in a run oriented offense with a lost season to injury and another abbreviated season due to covid doesn’t impact his production. The guy is loaded with talent, I think you may be the only one denying that.

Pickens has a lot better chance of succeeding in the pros than Austin, A LOT BETTER CHANCE.

But then again, you like the little guys, last year you were champion Etienne over Harris ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What You are not pointing out is the Qbs they played for....again I'm a big believer (yes I'm beating a dead Horse) that the Qbs have the biggest effect on 97% of Wrs. That the reason I don't believe in Wrs winning OPOY in most instances. Another thing You are not bringing up is one came from a big time passing offense, and the other from a big time rushing offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You beat me 2 some of this.

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am not denying the talent. I said this in the other thread...

"I know I am coming across very negative in regards to Pickens. That's actually not my intent. I like Pickens. He is an athletic freak with great hands. There certainly is a lot to like. All I am suggesting is that the kid is going to need time to be as productive as some of you are hoping he will be."

I don't think I took your post out of context at all. You said you would not be surprised if Pickens has a Jamar Chase type season. Keep in mind, not only was Chase the most NFL ready receiver to come into the league in years, but he also lucked into a perfect situation. Pickens doesn't have that luxury. On top of needing some time to develop, no one knows for sure who the starting QB will be. Not an ideal situation for any rookie receiver. Personally I will be shocked if Pickens gets anywhere near 1000 yards in 22'

The last part of your post is a low blow. I may never live that down. :lolol: However, I will remind you that we had the same discussion about Kendrick Green last year.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    So what makes you think Pickens will be in a better QB situation in Pittsburgh? Pickens got drafted by a team that has a rookie, a FA that's on his 3rd team in 6 years, and Mason Rudolph competing for a starting job. Certainly not an ideal situation for a rookie receiver to walk into.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    With Pickens I get #1 receiver vibes. Johnson I get #2 receiver vibes and Claypool, while a good receiver who is strong and has athleticism, does not have the quickness and body control like Pickens. It may take some time, but lets face it DJ is a #2 receiver and Claypool is the #3

• Like Like x 1
  7. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    I'm a glass is half full kind of guy

Pickens ceiling is breaking Jerry Rice's records

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was referring 2 both Wrs college days with their Qbs........
    As far as I know....I don't really know how our Qbs will look here. The only one I've actually seen play for the Steelers is Mason....So....who knows...???:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I don’t consider 400yards significant people are acting like they have a chance at a Justin Jefferson rookie year. The total of the 2 WRs won’t crack 1,100 yards and that’s over 17 games.

10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Your point is flawed. I believe that both QB and WR depends on each other. Football is a Team sport. They are akin to a car and gas, one can't do chit without the other.

I've seen many QBs who didn't have WRs fail and many WRs who didn't have a QB fail. That door swings both ways my friend and are not exclusively one way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The QB has to be willing to put up that 50/50 pass and have confidence in the Receiver to bring it down or bat it away.
    That makes up a huge difference for a lot receivers.

Note: I suffered through those Jason Campbell days - that guy would not throw the pass unless the receiver had 5 yards on the DB. I lost my voice from yelling "throw the damn ball!"

Receivers will sputter out on plays if they know the QB won't throw certain passes.

But all this is but a single part of the whole. Route running, talent, timing, that Vulcan mind mold thing and much more all play a part.
    I like Pickens, if he recovers they way many think, he will be a good addition.
    I like Austin too, I see him getting early reps to take advantage of his speed and then working him in more to other packages to change up the attack.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bradshaw said one of the things he learned in football was if you throw the ball to John Stallworth it will not be intercepted

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Pickett, Trubisky and Rudoplh are all way better than Jake Fromm or Stetson Bennet. Fromm was on the practice squad in his second year and I doubt Bennet will even get drafted. He is what would happen if Duck Hodges played at Georgia, he is just not an NFL QB.
    As I pointed out in the other thread, the only decent QB George had was JT Daniels and only for 4 games. 23 receptions, 373 yards 4 touchdowns, including 1 low stat game in a blowout. We will see if Daniels can live up to the hype at WVU, this is his last chance.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett = Alex Smith. Not expecting much. I was the same with Roethlisberger. Maddox was the best QB at the time. :facepalm:

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I hear what you are saying. To me it's just excuses. Georgia has won A LOT of games with the QBs you mentioned.

My point is that it's not like Pickens got drafted to play with Aaron Rodgers. Frankly the Steelers QB situation sits in the bottom half of the league whether any of us want to admit it or not.

All I am saying is it might take George a season or two to develop. Thinking hes going to come in and manhandle NFL DBs day one is foolhardy.

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    What I'm saying is if we are going to give Pickens numbers a pass because of mediocre QB play, then why does anyone think his numbers are going to be substantially better with even more mediocre QB play. You can't have it both ways.

I would argue that Pickens QB situation in the NCAA is no worse than what his NFL situation will be. No one even knows who the starter will be.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Confluence

Jan 22, 2017
    after watching more video of Pickens, I think he cls benefit from adding more weight/muscle to his frame, but he is close to what you want, Unless Claypool surprises I see Pickens as the eventual *1 because Johnson is very good but he is a #2, its ok to be a good #2 receiver in the NFL

• Like Like x 2
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Exactly. I know it is coming across as if I am down on the player. I really am not. Pickens definitely needs to bulk up for the NFL game. It's just part of why I feel like he needs time to develop.

As for #1 or #2, that matters a lot more to fans than it does to the Steelers. Both guys will be utilized to their strengths.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith was a guy who couldn't or wouldn't take shots deep. That is not Pickett at all.

• Like Like x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope you are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am not certain that he will be a better player than Smith, but I am certain that he is a different player.

• Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really Smith did take shots deep earlier in His career, but they lead 2 so many ints....He....smartly stopped.
    Smith wasn't a bad Qb....He just wasn't a game changer.

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pickens don't work out I'm thinking Vad Lee:)

Finally watched the Pittsburgh maulers for first time. Only saw last 10 minutes but being a Burgh guy did enjoy the comeback he tried to lead.

I'm thinking me and the 10 people in the stands were watching.

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett vs Herbert, Allen, Burrow, Mahomes, Wilson, Carr, etc. Tall task... we'll see.

• Like Like x 1