1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PI Now 15 yards

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont like this, now anyone who is clearly beat will be hauled down and only receive 15 yards. Yeah I get there are ticky tacky calls that net big yards under the old rule but I just see DBs taking advantage of this now. And for a team that has a burner like we do in Bryant, you just know this will bite us in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey Blast - do you have a story link other than this tweet? I can't find any story that confirms this action. Also, if approved by Committee, do owners then vote to ratify Committee recommendations or are rule changes final with only the Committee's blessing? I have real mixed feelings about this possible change - it will hurt the Steeler's O but definitely help the Steeler's D. :shrug:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Youre right. King must of just been congratulating the committee for making the proposal. It still needs to be voted on which should happen soon.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/28/17059120/nfl-pass-interference-15-yards-rule

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup, just a proposal.

It used to be a judgment call, didn't it? If it was intentional it was a spot foul?

A hybrid penalty system would be better.

This would be bad on both ends. Say it's a 15 yarder and the spot of the foul was less than that.

It works in college, but I'm not sure its viable in the NFL.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow haha I thought this had passed and I never heard about it. Would be a major move by the NFL.

Don't think it would be wise.

6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was never a fan of DPI being a spot foul when a personal foul is only a max of 15 yards. And even if they changed it to a 15 yard penalty, I think that even then it's too much, simply because it carries the same weight as a personal foul.
    So, how do you fix it? Make a personal foul a larger penalty? Make DPI a 10 yard penalty?

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    An obtuse idea - follow hockey's lead - create a penalty box where the player has to sit out for a spell that grows exponentially for each subsequent offense, especially if it involves the QB - plus the original 15 YD PF penalty. I thought about maybe losing a time out but those could/would deplete fast. Wouldn't you just love to see Suggs sitting in the box half the time his D was on the field. :dancing: And to the delight of many in these parts, this could also mean that Mitchell never plays another down in the NFL. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Might as well call this the "Press Corner Rule" considering it is literally targeting press corners without actually saying it.

Issue is now that such corners like Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore are going to have a field day. Within the same vein, Artie Burns just might as well.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, this actually only hurts the long ball if they do it.

There's no reason not to grab a guy if you're going to give up a 20-30 yarder or a TD!

If this goes through expect to see PI calls skyrocket, unless it's against Broen or JuJu....

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    SBNATION:

So what’s good about limiting pass interference to just 15 yards?
    It removes the assumption that the receiver would’ve caught the ball. Even NFL WRs don’t pull in every catch, especially contested ones, which by definition includes all plays with potential pass interference calls. If a long throw to a tightly covered receiver is 50-50 at best for the offense, why give the offense 45 yards just because the DB had a little bit more of the WR’s jersey than vice versa?

It would also lessen one WR advantage, since offensive pass interference in the NFL only costs the offense 10 yards.

This is unlikely to affect all that many plays at the NFL level anyway.
    Between 2009-17, the NFL had 0.46 penalties per game that netted more than 15 yards, according to play-by-play analysis by SB Nation’s Bill Connelly.