1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PFF Steeler needs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    This article came up when I googled which teams are targeting a TE.
    I was curious how much competition there might be limiting our chances of
    getting a stud at #50. After all, TE could become a priority also but I was going to do this for several other positions too.
    Anyway this article came up and answered a lot of questions.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offseason-needs-for-all-32-nfl-teams-2020

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: NEW FACES ON THE INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE
    Secondary needs: edge defender, field-stretching tight end, quarterback

They sort of overlooked WR which is really thin. Fortunately the rook looked great but another equally skilled one would fill things out nicely.
    Then there is the possibility of losing a starting TE a ILB and also a OLB and a NT/DT in FA. Cripes! I wouldn't be surprise if both Finney and Feiler were in strong demand either.

Anyway, some Questions

1 Do you agree with Pro Football Focus in their assessment of the situation?

2 Your position of choice and top priority to get at any cost??? [Oh, and HOW]

3 Would you replace Dupree with Dante Fowler Jr :smiley1: They seem to be in similar money brackets now.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    Oh, I almost forgot, I do agree with their #1 priority. [Something I almost never do]

If you recall one of Colbert's best moves was in his 1st year here when he brought over Jeff Hartings from Detroit an all pro guard who then became a force here at center.

Is there anything like that in FA? If so, that would take a lot of pressure off the BPA position pick at #49.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d agree with that. You could put WR in there but it’s a bit down the list. They could do with a burner type, Cain showed some promise and maybe with more time and coaching he can develop in to a consistent threat.

I think I’d add running back but I’d pick a RB in the second round or not at all. No point picking up another Snell / Samuels type. Bellcow or don’t bother imo.

Defensive line as well, Hargrave will be gone and Alualu is entering his final year

I think they are spot on with main big need though. They could probably get a starter ready center or guard in the second round. They really need to start replenishing that line.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    My sig says it all. Offensive Guard for me. Cannot afford to have Mason become early years Big Ben all over again.

As much as I would want to have J.K. Dobbins as the guy at Running Back, the fact of the matter is that, of this year's big three, Dobbins is at the very top. He is not the most athletic but he is just as dynamic and just as consistent. Add the fact that he is just as accomplished as D'Andre Swift and Dobbins is likely the first Running Back off the board.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dobbins would be excellent. He could be as good as Bell was from 14-17. He probably won't last until the 2nd round. Too many teams need RBs.

Best value in 2nd round would be Guard or TE. Maybe Center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Jonathan Taylor>Dobbins

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I did say he is likely to be the first one off the board. For that matter, that is why I have him at number 3 on my list. It just seems unlikely he will last that long.

That being said, D'Andre Swift is not a bad consolation prize. His wear and tear is even more minimal than both Taylor and Dobbins. In addition, he is the most athletic of the three.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Initially I thought this. However, looking at their tread on their proverbial tires, I disagree. 968 vs 769 is going to be one of many debating points in a Draft War Room.

Wear and tear on a Running Back is critical. The fewer the amount of touches, the better.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Seeing how we have done with udfa players on the oline, I don't feel we really have to get one early. Our two number ones have worked out but our draft picks after those have not faired as well. Chuks, rd. 3, Hawkins rd. 4 and traded, Gilbert took years to get decent and eventually traded. Gray was a late draft pick.

I don't think finney will cost that much to sign. Feiler maybe a little more.

I'd go after a center that is guard capable in the 4th of 5th rounds. There are quite a few in this draft.:cool:

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

1. Agree with O-line as the #1 need, but I think OT is just as important as the interior with respect to this upcoming draft. Bottom line is, I think they could add either a G/C prospect or a T prospect and it will be beneficial.
    But I disagree with the edge, field stretching TE and QB needs as being in the top. I think Bud is re-signed so that eliminates edge. As for TE, I'd rather go for the stud blocker this year, (OSU or MIch TE are two candidates). I'd rather go for another WR than a field stretching TE as I think RF will not use him in a prominent role. I would be fine with a competent at both guy. Harrison Bryant could be one.
    As for QB, if the news is good with Ben, then I'm OK with Mason as back-up and whoever fighting for 3rd.

2. Defensive Tackle... Hargrave is a goner for sure. Need to get one in the draft. I don't want one through FA.

3. Why spend that much money on another expensive question mark in Fowler when Bud is in the same boat, money-wise and consistency wise.

Top 3 needs imo...

1. Off line
    2. Def Tackle
    3. TE

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Regarding number3. There are plenty of other guys outside Fowler I believe that can be had for much less. You mentioned Fackrell a couple weeks ago. He’s a FA and he’s not going back to GB because he doesn’t play. I would definitely be interested in where his market is. There’s quite a few others as well...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think FA and/or draft is plan B with regards to OLB in the minds of the Front Office. I disagree and don't want to give that much (12mil-17mil) to Dupree but they will find a way imo.

13. Chainmover1

Jan 3, 2014
    I would not want to have to make that decision. Being wrong on that one surely some heads must roll.

Oh wait, let Rooney make it. Not likely to fire himself. :smiley1:

Think about it, say you let McDonald go. He recovers and excels elsewhere, ehh, so what. There are a bushel of his equals in the draft and the cap savings might even net another position starter. So it does turn out bad. Most will say it was a risk worth taking. The same with all the other tough calls.

But if Watt is a solo act next season and $12+M is shot in the ass---____________Agggggg!