1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition to Fire OC Randy Fitchner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Dec 15, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yes please!!

Ken Whiz the same. Heck, look into the collegiate ranks for someone at this point. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Looking back, we fired Haley after a 13-3 season and a playoff loss in which we scored 42 points. It's almost unbelievable.

I get that we wouldn't bring him back while Ben is still here but the guy was/is a great coordinator and could be a fit in the future.

If we ever did think Mason is the future I would go after Mike Gundy .

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh but we didn’t fire him. He just wasn’t re upped. Yet Butler survived because he had a contract. It only took 10 first rounders for Butler to find his footing. It’s starting to feel like Fichtner may need the same firepower to find his...

• Like Like x 2
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

This play is exactly why Tomlin does not get credit for being a very good "teacher-type" coach. He is at best the rah, rah! cheerleader that Terry Bradshaw called him out to be. I never like 1st and Goal from around the 8-10 yard line. I mean, trust me I am happy to be in that position but it is kind of in the do I pass or run land with too many things that can go wrong. Here, it did. All of this talk about Tomlin for COTY just cracks me up. This play is exactly why he gets criticized for not being a good "X and O" coach. Perfect example. Very, very "poor situational awareness" as you quoted. I would have started out with a good old fashion run and let the results dictate 2nd down. They tried to get "cute" and everything that could go wrong, does.

There were so many more options than what they tried. As a teacher, we use the "KISS" process all the time. Definitely could have been applied here. As I stated, at the minimum we end up leaving a potential three points off the board. And in a tight game like that one, points come at a premium.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    People gave me heck when I said Pouncey is getting steamrolled. This o-line misses Munchak. Randy is not an OC. Villanueva has been a revolving door all season. I'm the first to blame Tomlin but this is all on Randy. The players need to do their jobs too but this wildcat mess and not using the running game more, all should be blamed on the OC. Randy is over his head. This coming from a fan that seldom recognizes bad coaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’d sign it. Let’s also look at Sarrett. WTF is wrong with the line this year? Even the anchor, Pouncey, is off. How many low snaps is he averaging per game this year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pounce might be done... he has been messing up snaps all year long.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I appreciate and understand what you are saying and I agree to a certain point. With the offensive woes, there are ways to combat weak spots with play calling. This isn't always the case with defenses if your backups can't get to a QB or defend a pass, your'e just going to lose. I expected us to win. I expected ball control. When I first seen Connors I thought great, he has his legs, he can get the job done. Mix Snell in there that wants to prove, he can carry on as well as Connors and we could have ran the ball up and down the field. When the Bills defense is backed up on their heals from the Steelers ground game, an un-drafted rookie should throw short passes and a few long ones.
    The lack of this description is why most people are upset I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You can overcome a bad qb with a good D and strong run game... but unfortunately our run game just isn’t that good.

Bring back Ron Erhardt Playbook or Chan Gaily so we can run the ball again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelers5859.

You are absolutely right with your quote: "I think most people don't realize what we are playing with". And this is also why I am not down with that COTY Award. Yes, the coaches have to "COACH" players; in other words…. "TEACH". I do not feel that we have the best "Teachers" on this staff from the "HC" all the way down to very specific coaches such as the "Ball Snapper" and the "Place Holder".

This is where it starts even before game kick-off. Then you get into executing a game-plan. Prior to the game last night there were so many fans, analysts, and media ready to give Tomlin the COTY Award. For what I ask? What has he really accomplished this year. Yes, obviously we are in contention for the playoffs. Great! I get that he has some hurdles to get over this year with the Ben, Brown and Bell departures. Injuries, okay again. However, he gets paid millions of dollars to work with these issues and to find a way to still be successful.
    This is his job.

I get that there is a drop off in talent. However, the "O" and the "D" work as "COLLECTIVE UNITS" of 11. As coaches you have to find ways to get these Units to work in "Unison". This may mean a 2nd Stringer picking up the slack for an injured player. That is his job! And the coaching staff's job to figure it out.

I get that too many injuries can be a complete disaster. However, that is just part of the game. We have weathered a good part of the storm given our situation. Nonetheless, there are going to be "bad" player performances at times. However, it is not like Ben has never thrown four interceptions in a game before. We were at relative 1st String Strength last night and IMO should have found a way to win the game. I admit, no JuJu no Vance, but once again Tomlin's Mantra: "The next man up" and "The standard is the standard" are in effect.

The coaches get cute with that Wildcat play before halftime which was totally absurd. At minimum, we left a critical three points out there on the field because our "Brilliant" coaching staff tried to get cute. This had nothing to do with the players IMO. This could have easily been Bell, Brown, JuJu or McDonald with that botch.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We all know what cards theyre holding on O... Injuries, inexperience, lack of talent, etc...

Despite that, the team has been winning and should have won last night. I pin it on coaching and I'm not too sorry if that red asses any one on here. I whole heartedly agree that the best coach can't do much when his roster is reduced to rubble and I would even champion that as the cause to what we've witnessed throughout the season on that specific side of the ball, if it weren't for the ding batted OC and his asinine play calling time after time after time defiantly challenging the above logic!

I did not expect much the way the season was unfurling but things happen with injuries and untimely turnovers ruining close BIG games. Pretty much felt like it's just gonna be that type of year where even the jinx is in trying to win ugly. We're a passionate bunch and this team has given us a reason to enjoy the season in lieu of the obvious.

I'm not knee jerking on Duck. I think his OC and his plan let the team down. Regardless of how any of us feel about him or his talent/ceiling/whatever, you simply don't put the kid in those situations. The pitch count last night would've had most non watchers believing we were down 20 before the half!

1. run the damn ball some... Try running some out the not so obvious "we're gonna run" packages as well. They completely abandoned the run last night and it was mind numbing To do so in the very least... Especially after dressing so many rb's and not putting them to any physical use! I understand they are not the best at it but come on! I'm not talking every 1st and 2nd down either... Mix **** up get creative put people to work damnit!

2. Protect your friggin QB at all costs if you're going to be a dumbass and air it out. Hard for a 1st time QB un drafted and inexperienced or not, to not develop happy feet and not be able to scan the field when he's under constant pressure. Help the dude out! Run the damn ball and get the short game going. When they do things seem to work as has been witnessed.

3. past time to round file the wildcat. Sure it worked one game against cincy and outside of one play in Zona last week it has been terrible and costly everytime out Everytime it's been dialed up. Stop it! Last night in the 1st half it cost points, ruined/stalled drives... STOP IT!!! Hard for an O to keep rolling once it's in a rhythm and then you dial that up and **** the bed in the process. More than enough tape for that to have been tossed in its follow up against the Ravens after the win in cincy.

I could go on but In short, it was a terrible idea to go gunslinger against a top flight D. Just another example of situational football not existing in this dojo in a game they had every right to win. I harbor no ill will to duck and don't think he needs benched in this scenario. Mason needed his benching and like duck was actually playing positive ball within allowable reason up until his eggs got scrambled.

I honestly think there is enough on that side of the ball and more so if the "O line finds its balls", to win the next 2 and surprise come dance time. Problem is, the OC is exaserbating the fact that they shouldn't be hanging around like they are with this ****ty un creative non situational play calling BS! He literally crippled any shot they had last night with that crap.

Okay rant over

• Like Like x 2
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The team shouldn't had won last night simply because the QB committed 4 turnovers. Not many games are won with that stat line. Blame the coaches all you want but the coaches don't commit turnovers.

No team can afford to commit that many turnovers and expect to win.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Wasn't there a FKB petition last season as well? Just change the title. I'm sure the same signatures would be on it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BURGH43STEL.

Yeah, I agree with you. You can point at a 101 things in any game for the reason of the outcome (W, L, or T). One can order them in importance. However when you turn the ball over four times you have dug a very deep whole to climb out of and in most cases that would be the #1 reason that contributed to a team losing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's the easiest way of putting it for sure and hard to argue... But a smart corner man don't send a boxer in to out wrestle a wrestler. Turnovers happen part of the game, even so with a perfect plan... Still part of the game as well. However you should atleast try to mitigate such things with giving folks a chance. Coaches can't control the output of any call but they can call a favorable play simply given their situation.

Sloppy calling can't be argued either and that is the side of the fence I'm on. You don't put a kid in a game to throw almost 40 times a game in a low scoring one score deficit type of affair in any sense much less kill drives with this mystifying wildcat package... Situational ball play and let the chips fall where they may.

16. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Yep hardest point to argue but it goes without saying... Situational ball wouldn't have put the team in positions to make those mistakes in theory but that's what they do and in theory hard to argue much either way due to the end result being what it is, but the play calling is atrocious period.

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey dobbler-33.

Yes Sir. It is called "Cause and Effect" or as you stated "Situational ball" that eventually leads to the turnovers. And as we know this comes back to the "Think Tank" AKA "Coaching Staff". Now, of course the players have to execute but it is up to the coaches to put the players (especially a very young and inexperienced QB) in the most "Advantageous" position possible to be successful. Obviously, a big part of that is the play-calling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    But why wouldn’t you have a heavy passing game plan with an Undrafted QB, going against the #2 pass defense/ #21 ranked run defense? “We do what we do.”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think COTY should be Tomlin. I think COTY is a coach that does more with less. Like you mentioned, he's got this team in playoff contention, he got over some hurdles with Ben, Brown and Bell departures. Injuries. got it.

But look what he had to work with to get where this team is. Not only did we lose Ben, but JuJu been out, Connor has been out and we've been working with a 2nd year WR, rookie WR, practice squad WRs, a 4th string quarterback, rookie running back, practice squad running backs, no TEs, and mortgage the future in trading a number one pick to obtain and starting safety.

Now, you might say this is his job to fix all this because he gets million of dollars but what in your mind constitutes the Coach of the Year? Because every coach has a job to do and gets paid million of dollars.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What can I blame the coaches for in your world? Just curious...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    That's all I'm saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I would say if Ben if gone.....bring back Todd
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  23. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't know if the Tequila cowboy wants that smoke hahahahahah

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Evidently nothing to some people. To borrow you’re analogy a bit dobbler. It’s like sending your fighter out there with one arm tied behind his back and blaming the fighter for losing...makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Isn’t Haley a cuck-a- doodle doo? Lol