1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Peppers, Obi, Kevin King, Tre'Davious

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 2, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I forget which round, but both Jake Butt and George Kittle were available and we passed on them, which I felt was unfortunate.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Obi definitley hurt for me as you know Blast; Kevin King the same.

However, in my signature I did say that if Watt made it to us that any defensive back option was going to be a non factor.

Now that T.J. is here, I can enjoy the rest of the offseason.:smiley1:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ was my biggest target, so Im very happy with that pick.

But with the exception of Peppers who went in the first, I never expected King and Obi to get so close to our pick in the second, so that part was frustrating.

I think JuJu is going to ease a lot of that pain though, have fun covering AB, Bryant and JuJu and then Bell out of the backfield. :butcher:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Didn't King go #33 overall? I would have tried to trade up for Obi. In fact, as he was falling I was thinking that Detroit was a good spot at pick 21 of the 2nd. If I recall, it was a perfect fit on the trade chart if we gave our 3rd round comp as compensation. I have no idea whether we tried, and it's all water under the bridge anyway. Juju is here, and I think he's going to be a big asset. Once Obi was gone, I didn't see the value of giving up a 3rd or 4th to go after any other DB that was left, and I'm glad we took Juju instead of reaching.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep yep, my mistake, Josh Jones was the other DB I wanted that made it close to us, but no indication in that article that the Steelers were targeting him there. Also, Tanoh was another guy I wanted who got close but who knows if the Steelers would have taken a DE at that spot.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As am I Blast. As am I.

JuJu covers more than just those three than others realize. Realistically, JuJu is a first round talent but this draft pushed him down.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was really bummed when Green Bay took Josh Jones right before our pick.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It is like you said though Steel.

Defense was not the only issue in the playoffs. Against the Chiefs, our kicker won us that game. Against the Patriots, we did not too many red zone successes.

Someone like JuJu Smith Schuster offers much more than just mere insurance.

11. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Um, that article said we tried to play man against the Patsies?

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We did a few times. It went even worse than our zone coverage, believe it or not. That's the purpose of the Sensabaugh signing and the Sutton pick. We need guys who have the capability to stick with an Edelman or Amendola in the slot. They are both upgrades over Gay in man coverage.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Is it totally weird that I'm looking more forward to JuJu's blocking than I am his receiving? I miss a wideout that can totally blow people up and if he can go decapitate Burfict then he would have been worth a first overall pick to me.

• Like Like x 2