1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pep Hamilton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I remember when they were looking at him as OC. Ended up going to Houston.

Possible hire for Senior Offensive Assistant?

• Like Like x 5
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Pic says it all. Please oh please. For that matter, have Pep Hamilton teach Matt Canada on what Hot Routes are considering he does not even know that his best WR in Diontae Johnson can separate and is tailor made for such.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Has he heard of a Sluggo? The article has me convinced he could help. Did Tomlin actually say he wasn't interested in an offensive assistant? I missed that. Although I think it would be best to bring someone in that would be a good OC candidate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Pep?! Very likely. Matt Canada. Very doubtful.

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just get the feeling that there are many on the board who would insist this hiring was because of, um, well, let's say high melatonin levels.

6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That was pretty cool! Thank you for posting that. I never knew what a sluggo was!

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What exactly is pep so good at?:cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Justin Herbert under Pep was Rookie of the Year and had a QB rating of 98.3 with 31 TDs and 10 Ints in 15 games. Everyone remembers when Herbert was thrust into the starting roll September 20, 2020. Herbert made his first NFL start in Week 2 against the Kansas City Chiefs, replacing Taylor, who was ruled inactive after the team's doctor accidentally punctured his lung. Justin Herbert - Wikipedia

How much of Herberts success his rookie year had to do with Pep Hamilton?

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If you are going to hire Pep Hamilton, then hire him as OC and fire Matt Canada.

To many hands in the pot is never a good thing. If the decision was made to retain Matt Canada, then let that man do the job you hired him to do. It's not fair to him to have a Senior assistant over top of him. This goes for Pep Hamilton, or anybody else.

Hiring a guy to essentially be a co-offensive corrdinator sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and still without pep justin herbert is still playing well. so was it just because of pep? andrew luck was pretty good already as well. was it because of pep? he has had a lot of not good situations as well if not more. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t know how much was due to Pep, but Herbert was raw coming out of college and I was amazed at how polished he was as a rookie. I also think that Mills played better than expected. I was sure he was a waste of a draft pick, but he flashed ability from time to time. I’d view Pep as a positive hiring until proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 3
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That's not going to happen. Canada's is Tomlins boy and direct hire. I don't see them bring in anyone. Using Sullivan and Meyer's input I believe was a big reason their was a 2nd half turnaround.

Plus Canada still has a year left on his contract. Rooney won't have him sit or go to a college team while paying him. So were stuck with another season of Canada.

Bringing in Pep Hamilton would be a threat to the fragile Canada.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I believe the turn around was Tomlin telling Canada to dumb down his playbook for the Rookie. The Steelers did the same thing with Ben his rookie season; so I am not blaming Kenny of his early season mistakes trying to run Canada's Full playbook.

I also think Pep would be a replacement for Mike Sullivan. If you hire Pep he would be a replacement for Sullivan as he would be in charge of the QB room. Pep should not be considered a threat to the OC position, and would to need to know his place as he was being brought in to help develop the young QBs in the room. Pittsburgh should have a Free Agent, or Late round Rookie QB, Kenny, and a veteran QB in the Room.

If Pep is looking for an OC position this year then this is not the team for him. If Pep is looking to mentor young QBs then this may be a good fit for him to develop his trade.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Pep would have been huge in the development of Herbert as the Chargers' OC, and the 1st team offense would have been working with Tyrod Taylor trying to get his ready to start the season.

Herbert mostly would have been working with Pep and the 2nd team offense during camp and preseason to start his rookie year.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    FFS, Canada knows what hot routes are.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Tell that to Pat Freiermuth.

He stated there were no hot routes within the Offensive Gameplan All Season. Given the fact that he was an unfortunate player in a sub par system, cannot say I am surprised there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

well blast you may dislike this but where exactly has he been kept? he hasn't stayed in one place very long. our current QB coach has won super bowls under his watch. OK herbert played well when he was there and herbert played well when he wasn't too. same with andrew luck. so again the question is, what exactly is pep so good at? why do teams not keep him around if he is so good? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the last two years ben ran the offense like every route was a hot route and you all bitc*ed. now you want more short passes thrown? the head coach sticks his input into every other aspect of the team so why didn't he tell canada to add these route's back into the game plan? he does run the team. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I never said he had them in the system, it's was widely reported that from the bye week on they ran an ultra-simplified offense at Tomlin's request.

However, Canada knows what hot routes are, he had them at Pitt.

With the type of passing they did this year, the hot routes weren't really a necessity.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We also had them last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We did. Every team does. AQL was being facetious and REL took him literally. I am guessing AQL is saying that Matt Canada doesn't do a good enough job of incorporating hot routes, and not that Matt Canada doesn't know what one is.

• Like Like x 1
  24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bring him in it couldn’t hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think I've been pretty consistant in saying that hte offense they ran through the last 75% of the season really didn't need hot routes.

And I misspoke, I was referring to the game plans, not system. My bad

• Like Like x 1