1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Good a reason as any. I have confidence in DeSmith, just wasn't his night.

2. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Good bounce back win tonight over the Panthers, 5-1. Rust(2), Pearson, Sheahan and Crosby your goal scorers. Murray solid again with 35 saves. The lone Florida goal was challenged for goalie interference, but the call on the ice stood. Once the Pens took a 4-0 lead, the game got rough and physical. ZAR and Pettersson, of all people, got into fights. ZAR delivered a solid knock down, but must have been injured at some point, because he went from the penalty box to the locker room. Hornquist took a puck off of his chin late in the first and didn't return. I hope both of these guys are ready for the six game, twelve game western trip, because they will be needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens look like they are hitting their stride. I think they will do fine on their tough road trip.
    They just need to keep the pedal to the metal for a while.
    Murray seems to be back better than ever. He has been playing extremely well.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Back to work for the Pens tonight in a late game. They play tomorrow night also so it will be interesting which goalie Sullivan uses in which game.The Caps are hot so the Pens need to keep close to them.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    What do you mean late,they each start at 7pm? Oh wait.......;).

Starting tonight, they play 3 games this week within 2 hours driving time from me (Ducks, Kings and LV) but except for last row nose bleed seats, pretty much all tix are in the several hundreds with Las Vegas being the most expensive. I chose instead to watch the games at home from my comfy recliner with my 3 sports-minded katz and put the $$ possibly towards a few Steeler games next season as they will visit LA, AZ and Santa Clara.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Pens turn a 3-0 deficit in the first period into a 7-4 win. They didn't lead until just under halfway through the third period. Incredible performance but, I felt sorry for Pitt native and Ducks goalie John Gibson. He played great in the first, but didn't get much help over the last two periods. Goals scored by Guentzel(HT), Pearson,(2), Malkin, and Kessel with what can only be described as an incredible individual effort. Very entertaining game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Whoa Daddy, what a game. I toyed with paying $300+ for a decent seat but decided to stay at home. This would have been the game to splurge on although after down 3-0 in the first I watched in fast forward on delay, then the awesome comeback. The Kessell goal was unbelievable. Caught the Ducks at a good time. Kings shouldn't pose a problem tomorrow. The real showdown will be against the surging Golden Knights in Vegas next weekend. This takes some of the sting away from the Steelers miserable ending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Hope DeSmith can give up less than 4 goals tonight. Good chance for him to bounce back after a bad game last time. Every game is important so being able to depend and trust your backup goalie is necessary. Still not real comfortable with Pens playing back to back games on the road and winning both. Good test.

9. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Hockey is great on TV, but probably better appreciated live. A fan sees so much more of what happens between opposing players without the puck. But yeah, 3 bills is steep for a regular season game. I was shocked at the number of Pens fans there although I hadn't realized that the Ducks were on an eight game skid. Carlisle might be on his way out, their defense is terrible.

10. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    DeSmith is right on target to keep his goals against average at 5 per game (over the last 2 games).That just isn't good enough to win many games.He is what he is and I don't think there are any better options.
    Guess I just need to accept that back to back games for the Pens are something to worry about and hope that Murray stays healthy which is questionable.

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Murray should be in goal tonight so maybe the opposition won't score 4 or 5 goals.
    Lot of competition for playoff spots even if the playoffs are still not here.
    As of today if the playoffs started the Pens would not be in. Close but not in.

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It just shows how far they had fallen before their recent win streak to be so bunched up at the top. Two really tough games this week against Sharks and Knights, both with recent 8-1-1 records as of Sunday. Pens need to fix that short hand goal issue against them - like pronto. They unfortunately lead the NHL in such goals against. You could see this coming even last season as short-handed opponents often skated the puck down the ice rather than just clearing it as the Pens usually do. Not sure if this is just an offshoot of an awesome focused power play efficiency or just poor positioning. Fix it guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    My earlier post was wrong about the Pens not getting in if the playoffs started right now.
    They would sneak in as the last team, but the team behind them is only 2 points back.

14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens need at least to split the next two games. Unfortunately, the games are back to back tonight and Saturday night which means DeSmith will be working on maintaining his goals against average of 4 or 5 in one of the games. The Pens need to put it together and start winning some games again. they are close to not making the playoffs even though the playoffs are a ways away still.

15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Decent game last night. Glad DeSmith wasn't in goal or the results probably would have been a loss instead of a win and 2 points. Hope he has a great game tonight against Vegas. Things are really bunched up at the top of our division. Pens need to put some wins together.

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Funny, I was thinking just the opposite - DeSmith should have played last night when the chance for better offense would have (should have) been possible and then put Murray in against the red hot Knights with the much improved and steady MAF is in goal. This way IMO, they're almost conceding the game in Vegas tonight. Maybe they were just hoping to come out of it 1-1 instead of 0-2?

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I guess they were thinking lets go 1-0 and take a shot at 2-0. Back to backs have been a problem for a while and still are. Having said that DeSmith will probably craft a shutout tonight?

18. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    DeSmith is still what he is giving up 6 goals on 30 some shots. It would be nice to have a better backup goalie. It's time for a break until the 28th. The Pens need to get it going and win some games or they might be sitting at home for the playoffs. I hope not I have bet them to win it all again this year. It still can happen. They just need to make the playoffs and get hot.

19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Nice comeback in the 2nd period on the road against Vegas but that 3rd period was atrocious. While I agree Fan, DeSmith isn't a good alternative for backup goalie, he certainly wasn't getting much help from his team mates. They were lopsided all night and allowed several wide open shots. All in all, a pretty nasty west coast trip which seems to affect all Pgh teams when they play on the left coast. Not sure if it's jet lag or the time zone difference but the Steelers and Pirates typically falter when playing out west too. Exception was when Pens beat the Sharks in the Stanley finals a few years back.

20. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Back to work tonight for the Pens. DeSmith will be on the bench where he belongs. I hope the long rest helps the Pens to play to their potential. They need a good run or they might not make the playoffs. Hopefully tonight starts that run.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Traded Jamie O back to the Stars for a 4th. Which means the biggest guy on the team and perhaps the only one who can be an enforcer is now gone. I get there is a log jam at defense with Shultz set to return to skating but I'd have moved the underwhelming Maata or jack of all trades Ruhwedel. Hopefully this will lead to ushering Brassard out of town and some other options that doesn't gut the cupboard.

22. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I am so fed up with the Pens right now I just hope they don't get embarrassed tonight against Tampa.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Far from it. But for the last 3 minutes, may have been their best game of the season. Granted TB was rusty after a 10 day furlough, but Pens looked great in all phases of the game. And finally, a collective solid defensive game. Even with the poor west coast trip, after tonight, Pens just 3 pts behind 1st place NYI and TB plays them Friday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens still need to put some wins together because while they are only 3 points out of first place they are still way too close to not making the playoffs at all the way the division leaders are all bunched together.
    They have back to back games away on Friday and Saturday and the way DeSmith has played lately they might have to struggle to come out 1-1. They are where they need to be at this time of the season. Now they need to close it out and make another Stanley Cup run.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm guessing they will start DeSmith tonight against Ottawa and Murray tomorrow night. Hope they walk away with at least 2 points and maybe 3.