1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pats thrashing meaningful this time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I happen to think the saints will pounce on their defense with Brees throwing deep passes like smith did, dont think the saints will over look this opportunity with home field advantage......

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i love that they lost but they ain't done by any stretch of the imagination. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Dont bet on it, their not the same team they were last year with some missing parts and new players they will be hard pressed to win with their new harder schedule, in fact I expect Brees to carve them up in 8 days.......

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    One game doesn't dictate how a teams season will play out. If anyone thinks this is a sure sign of doom for the Cheatriots they are going to be sadly disappointed. Seeing how they do against both the Saints and the Texans will give us a better idea of where they're at this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them lose every single game they play this year and just suck all over the place. But they have fantastic coaches and a very good system in place so it's just not going to happen. Much as I hate 'em I have to give credit where it's due.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diamond

May 26, 2012

The super bowl let down is real, they spent too much time celebrating and not enough time on preparing for that big target on their chest...........

6. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm going on record to say this is going to be a special season and once the smoke has cleared the Steelers will have confetti raining down on them and Goodell handing Mr Rooney the Lombardi trophy # 7 and he raises it high in the air and declares this ones for you Dad!!!! In remembrance of his father Mr. Dan Rooney it's going to be very emotional for him. The players and coaches have said all off season their goal is to win the Superbowl for Dan Rooney it's all gonna come full circle in February 2018. Go Steelers

• Like Like x 3
  7. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Their defense had no pass rush, their secondary couldnt cover the receivers but MR BB Genius is going to fix that in just 1 week something we have been trying to fix for several years but for the fox borough messiah he will get er done in a week.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Agreed, they should win it for different reasons. Hope so, I've got enough money bet on them to win it all that it would be a nice sum to donate to the two animal charities I work with. There are just too many uncontrollable things that can derail that from happening, injuries being # 1 on the list. It will be an interesting season

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think they'll hang 40+ on the Saints and win by at least 2 TDs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep. I re-watched the game earlier and I think there's a sense in which people will jump on the score and forget the details.

KC threw a lot of different looks at NE and made them bite on some key plays, while in others found very favourable match ups. That won't happen every week for the Pats.

The Pats were also trying to reorganise from several injuries, and they mentioned in the game how they didn't really have anyone to back up Hightower.

So all in all it's a bit of an exceptional game. That's not to say their season won't continue badly (here's hoping...), but I wouldn't want to say that on the basis of one game.

11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    They didn't look any different, KC can use man coverage against Gronk, something a lot of teams can't do. I said it before, QBs like Brady can carve up zone defenses because it plays into their timing based offense, remember the 5 yard chuck rule came into existence because the Pats would hit the Colts receivers right off the line and do the same thing and Manning couldn't beat teams that disrupted his receivers as hit wasn't mobile and couldn't take a hit. The Pats take full advantage of the 5 yard chuck rule on zone defenses by running 7 and 8 yard outs or slants and they dink and dunk and as soon as you bring safeties up they hit you with an intermediate route because if you can use man coverage against 1 guy it means you have to rush 3 and you can't blitz because you get beat deep. The Pats looked normal, KC was able to lock down their guys especially in the red zone and being able to have a secondary that has guys capable of covering a wide out and a big TE makes it tough on their offense, it is why they struggled against the Jets most of the time.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Also, it wasn't really a thrashing. The Chiefs pulled away late.

Is there another safety in the league who can play at Eric Berry's level? He can hang with Gronkowski. Who else can do that?

We've heard this kind of talk about the Patriots before. Hell, we heard it after an ugly loss to the Chiefs two or three years ago. I don't buy it. They are still great and they are still a terrible matchup for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Denver's defense also had success against the Pats because they have a good secondary and pass rush.

14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah, but that doesn't make him a superstar. He balled out last post season when teams were keying on Edelman and Gronk. If Gronk is less than 100 percent and Edelman is out... let's see what he can do then. He's a fine player, just no Julian Edelman

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

However, three more of these we can surely call into order their funeral percession.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My hope is that other teams will see this as weakness and try harder. Often times the mystique of the Patriots zaps the will before the game reaches halftime. However if teams start getting up for them like they do for the Steelers, things get that much harder for them.

17. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I completely agree. Gronk looked slow and way past his prime. He had no separation what so ever.
    Amendola is a concussion waiting to happen, and i cant believe how much it looked like edelman was the MVP last year without him.
    Brady will have his good games this year but the end is coming for him and you saw it last night!
    BOUT TIME

18. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Actually, losing the first game gives them focus.
    When everybody is talking about going 16-0, and you lose the first game, pressure is off.
    It's like a 1 hit, 9 inning game, when the first hit comes in the first inning. No pressure, you can play loose the rest of the way.

We need to see a little more of them before making predictions about their outcome. However, their division is not the toughest in the NFL; they can play their B game all season and still be division champs.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly. This is the problem of looking at the score and not the game.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one TD ball hitting the ground by gronk and 2- 4th down and very short stops by KC made a huge difference in this game. i still say they ain't done yet. until week 17 and they are out of it and then i'll believe it. :cool: