1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pats thrashing meaningful this time

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I know, I know: Pats have lost before, but they always bounce back. They have even been crushed by this same KC team and all that happened was Pats won the SB that year.

But this time, it is different; I honestly believe there are enough cracks in their armor that the Steelers (or others) could overtake them this season. Why is this loss more significant?

1.) Brady is 40. NO ONE on earth can play forever. He looked below par. Sure, he could bounce back but at some point he won't be able to. Is it now? It is soon.

2.) They are already depleted at WR. The loss of Eddleman is bigger than they would have you know. Ammendola will be hurt all year, especially now that he will be called on for more touches. Hogan and the rest are OK, they will get theirs. But they looked spent last night.

3.) Gronk might be done. Bad backs don't get better. He looked unlike his previous dominant self.

4.) The D is in trouble. They have never been beat up like that. Hightower loss is huge. Hoodie will work miracles but I don't think he can reproduce what he did last year. They got punked like never before.

5.) All the 16-0 talk messed with them.

This really could be our year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think they win the division they are in though...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So what you really are trying to say is: "Kansas City winning last night in such a dominating manner over the SB champs will mean nothing if......................". (This is an inside joke Watt - someone had to say it). ;)

4. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Overall I do agree with you... They haven't had a super talented roster for years, yet they have gotten by because of Brady and Coaching.

Last night we finally saw how weak their roster is.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think it is more about what KC did, not what N.E. did not do.

1. Brady is the same IMO.

2. Yep. WR depleted.

3. Gronk , don`t know, but he had a tough defender on him who was very physical.

4. When an opposing QB has the best game of his career, you are going to have a bad day on defense.

5. They have dealt with 16-0 talk before.

I really hope they are about to have a bad year which for them would be 10-6, but I doubt it. What excites me is, on paper, we have addressed some of our weaknesses and it looks like the stars are aligning in our favor so to speak.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cant draw any thing from it yet. KC is one of those teams that NE struggles with.

Regardless, if we have all our offensive weapons in place, I feel we could hang with them.

7. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Even on the nice TD catch Gronk had, I thought he looked much slower and clumsier than he used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I wonder how many fans think this is their year? lol I been hearing stairway to 7 for 10 years

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Two days ago (hell, even going into the 4th Q last night), the Pats were indestructible supermen, all recent B&G player moves, all their coaching guile, all the returning talent might not be enough.

Today, they're old, depleted on offense, soft on D, ripe for the taking.

Tune in again Monday, where the future gets recalibrated, following a click-on-all-cyclinders 45-0 romp in Cleveland or sloppy skin-of-the-teeth 18-17 FG-fest win or (gasp) something unthinkably worse.

There's a very good chance that last nights game won't seem so meaningful on Halloween or another game will seem more meaningful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Too early to tell.

Brady will eventually decline... is this the year?

Are Gronk's injuries finally catching up with him?

Edelman is a yuuuuge loss. He's Brady's security blanket, and the and guy that was gonna keep Cooks open all year. Amendola and Hogan aren't nearly the player JE is.

The pats will still make the playoffs (see Bills, Jets, Miami) and will still be a tough out. Lots of football left

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. Them or the Giants give Belichick issues quite often.

Our defense is no where near those two as it stands now. To beat New England, we have to outscore them.

However, I will agree with Watt about Brady's age. He will get his second wind I am sure should his performances continue but his arm will tire out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This, x100.

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Even still, rather be humming Stairway to Seven than One Is The Loneliest Number :guitarplayer:

PS - BB Hotness - are you going to auction off your old Avatar for Charity now that it appears to be retired? :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Brady looked like a 40 year old QB, he will play better but I don't think he can play well all season. Their defense is bad, couldn't stop the run no pass rush and they had problems in coverage. Gronk looked like he was a shell of his former self, it's funny how if you actually cover Hogan he looks average against the Steelers he looked like a All-Pro WR.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    George Blanda gave it a good effort at 26 seasons.

16. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Father Time is Undefeated!

17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll see. The Pats lost their 2003 season opener to the Bills 31-0 and looked terrible. They won the Super Bowl anyway.

18. Sun & Steel

Sun & Steel Active Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I'll wait until at least the third game before I declare them done or not. The Patriots have bounced back so many times I have to see it before I believe it.

19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    As a famous coach once said, "You're never as good in a win, nor as bad in a loss as you appear." And that goes double for week 1.

I'm not getting a shovel to bury them yet. They showed they were human and fallible, sure. But if you think they're done, you're going to be very disappointed.

I loved seeing them trounced as much as anyone. but I'll need to see several trouncings before I'm ready to attend their funeral.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope everybody see's that NE can be beat. They will not beat their selves usually,
    you have to actually beat them. Go Steelers.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the Pats will fully recover and reel off several wins in a row. They're a great team, and I doubt that Brady's skill level has diminished dramatically over 1 offseason - really over 7 months - from a phenomenal comeback in Feb to washed up in Sept. Nope. Father Time is coming for him, but this isn't the year where his play falls off to where he cannot lead a team to a championship. Barring injury to Brady I see 12-13 wins minimum for the Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    At minimum, it gives them a loss which will help the Steelers get them at home in the playoffs. Beat them during the regular season, and they essentially have 2.5 game lead...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Steelers need to Beat the Browns on Sunday to start taking advantage of the NE surprising loss. After following them for 60 plus years I have seen quite a few times they didn't do what they should have and wasted an opportunity. Hopefully, not this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    But Hogan ate our lunch in the AFCG

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    For Brady to do what Blanda did, he better start learning how to kick field goals......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1