1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pats get 1st rounder.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Travlfrk, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Travlfrk

Travlfrk New Member

Feb 28, 2014
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is scary the Rams are going all in, I know you don't win the SB in February, March and April but holy cow they look good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Their d-line was already fierce..... I can't imagine many teams being able to block Donald and suh, while giving their wr's time to beat Peters and talib

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    While on the surface this looks smart for the Patriots. Getting a 1st rounder for a WR that probably would have been prices out for them next year, when you peel back the layers, something else is coming from them.

Why would you trade a very good WR when you know your QB has 1-2 years left tops?? Especially when rookies don’t come in and play that great? Unless they are targeting a QB to mentor, the trade does not help them.

They could package picks to make another trade for a WR (OBJ) or LT (whoever is available). Unless they go that route, the decision is a head scratcher.

As much as their fan base and ours don’t want to admit it, the Patriots and Steelers will have dark years once Brady and Ben hang it up. They should be going all in now, but instead seem to be preparing for a future that is extremely bleak without a HOF QB.

5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Which is why some think grabbing extra draft picks is to move up to grab their next franchise QB. Some think they are targeting Rosen.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is what the Patriots do. They get rid of players a year early rather than a year late, and clearly they didn't want to spend what it would have taken to keep Cooks past this season.

Losing Cooks and Amendola does hurt, but remember, they are also getting Edelman back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting move. Cooks is a pretty good, but not great WR, entering his prime. Yet they opted to flip him, when Brady's window is closing. A 1st rounder is a pretty could haul for him, especially since he's only under contract for this yr. but still you'd think he'd contribute more to the Pats in 2018 than whoever they take in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Edelman coming off a major injury, Gronk is feeling the effects of wear and tear. You gotta think they'll want to get some recieving help this off season. It wouldn't seem like they have enough for a team that expects to contend, again. Though they always seem to find guys who become stars.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Edelman will at least be able to replace what they got from Amendola last year. They probably do have to find a receiver, but I'm sure they will manage between free agency and the draft.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cooks isn't worth a 1st round pick if you ask me....not that I would want to trade him but Bell gotta be worth a heckuva lot more than that......who's a bigger factor on the field Bell>Cooks...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    True, but Cooks hasn't failed a drug test and won't cost you $14-17MM/yr. Those things factor into this. And till he signs his tag, Bell isn't tradable.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was pissed when I heard they got a first rd pick for him. Why do teams always help out NE?

But I agree, if Cooks fetched a 1st rd pick, Bell definitely should. If Im Colbert, im working those phones for a sign and trade.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but Belichick isn't that great at drafting, although they now have 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders.

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The Pats would have been ok had Kraft not forced belichick to trade Jimmy G.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ne even traded a first round pick for him.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I would say he is very good at drafting. I can go down the line but that would take too much time

17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or...The Pats could go with the no.1...or at worst no.2 WR in the draft...And have an equal, or probably better WR, For a fraction of the cost

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who cares?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Pats had to trade Jimmy G. in order to get something for him. Jimmy G. wanted to play and was going to be a free agent, NE was going to lose him to another team and not get anything in return. A lot of teams wanted him but wouldn't give NE what they wanted and with time running out they took the best offer they had at the time as the other teams wanting him were waiting for him to hit the open market. I do believe if NE would have been willing to lower their trade demands a little bit they would have got more but they had to trade him and at least get something for him because he was going one way or the other.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Belichick was ready to get rid of Brady and go forward with Jimmy G. He gave him away to the 49ers. Cleveland was willing to give up like 2 first rounders for Jimmy g but belichick is a friend of Mike shannahan's and a mentor of Kyle's so he gave him to the 49ers for a 2nd round pick pretty much.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    THIS!!!!

The Pats paranoia has started early :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    There goes Esch and Evans now. ILB's are off the table for 2018 1.28..

• Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know about that I just looked at the last 5 years of there draft not impressive at all. Then go look at their depth chart and we have way more drafted players then them 16 of our 22 starters were drafted by us. Hard to say the Cheats are good at drafting without admitting we are as well.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    With belichick you have to look at more than the last five years as he's been in ne for what 20? Overall he's been very good in the draft his problem is he gets rid of players a year early so he doesn't have to pay them. Like getting rid of Chandler jones. Plus they also have recently done a lot of trading which is what a lot of teams do these days maybe bill is getting with the times.

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm shocked the Rams went all in on Cooks. He's just not that good. He is a one trick pony. NE dosent need Cooks. They will plug in players like they always do. If Cooks is worth a first round, then Bell is worth 2 first rounders.

• Agree Agree x 1