1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pats game = formula to run the tables?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by diehardsteel, Oct 31, 2011.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Fact: Steelers have generally struggled against elite QB's (you know who they are!) who pick apart our loose zone coverage and march down the field at will. This game we play tight man coverage, don't give up the "dink & dunk", Brady throws for a season low 198 yards, and we win the game.

Fact: Steelers generally operate a predictable offensive game plan (run, run, long pass, punt). This game we run what looked like a west coast offense, threw the ball 50 times, did not have a pass play longer than 26 yards, we dominate the clock and win the game.

Has the coaching staff stumbled upon the magic formula to run the tables for yet another Super Bowl run? Me thinks perhaps it has (if Ben can manage to hang onto the ball! :praying: ) Agree or disagree?

2. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like the way the Defense showed a completely different look and were able to execute it very well. They recognized a need to change and finally did it and won. Certainly gives me hope that they can do this against elite QBs and hold them down as we saw them to do the Pats.

I still worry about the lack of a solid and consistant running game and I hold my breath every time Ben starts running around. W/out the running game it very well may be an offense that only Ben can make work and if he is injured bad enough to miss playing time.....oye :(

3. Tantum Dic Verbo

Tantum Dic Verbo Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I think the element of surprise was pretty important yesterday. If opposing teams see this approach coming, it might not be quite a successful. Still, it can't be worse than a big umbrella zone coverage, particularly when we're having trouble getting to the quarterback. We need Harrison and Woodley badly, whatever our pass coverage schemes might be.

4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    We had 98 yards rushing in a game when we threw 50 times. I'd say that is pretty decent. We used the pass to set-up an effective run to keep them honest. Mendy still scares me with the way he holds the ball loose though!

5. nitrous12

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with the element of surprise. I think that is often why you see a team beat an opponent as an underdog, but then not be able to repeat it if they meet again in the post season. I thought about that a bit with this game. I would certainly trade a loss in the regular season for a win in the post season, but you gotta make the post first and with a tight division this year we needed it. And if/when it comes time to face them again I really believe this team can do it.
    That said...I would like to see them mix it up on teams. Get them guessing "are we going to see zone or man coverage?" And be ready to switch it during the game if the play/results dictate a different D to get it done. They have proven they can effectively play man and win and have also won this year with zone coverage. That is dangerous for opposing teams!

6. nitrous12

Oct 26, 2011
    Thats true...I am just not used to or completely sold on this backwards philosophy. And I think to my original point it is moreso if we had to rely on a backup QB at any time.

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey I'm in total agreement about mixing it up a bit. For instance I would take Ben's 13 incompletions many of which were long/difficult/low percentage passes and his one (super bowl-like) pic and mix in a few more runs. It would have been a complete blow out then and we wouldn't have sweated bullets at the end of the game. :thumbs_up:

8. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    These both are good posts. (so were others, these just echo my thoughts) I'd like to add that one game of man on man doesn't have me 100% secure we are solid in this style of play though. We are on a good track to be able to have a great weapon in mixing it up but I worry this was a one and done thing an the coaching staff will "get back to what we do" mentality. I'd love the dual style mentality and even employ that and mix it up from series to series or even play to play and really confuse offenses.

On our offensive style, I have the same view. We need to feel we can dink and dunk. Basically we used the Pats own style against them. I'm kind of shocked they weren't ready for our defensive swap today. They will be ready in the post season. Or running game needs to find it's self though. If they do we can be very dangerous. The o-line might be gelling with Starks back.