1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots Signed Cam Newton

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Definitely yes when healthy. We should be one of the better teams if we play this year. Ravens will be put back in their place, looking up to the Steelers.
    Tomlin > Hairball... research it. :thumbs up:

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah they may be good enough to win an average / poor division, I agree. I don’t think they will win the AFCC though, they just don’t have the quality throughout the roster any more and crucially QB is still a question mark. Cam has been beat up bad throughout his career. There is a reason the Panthers let him go and 30 other teams passed before the Pats picked him up for pennies on the dollar.

Their receiving corp might be among the worst in the league as well, I can’t think of any worse on paper actually. Edelman is an excellent possession receiver in the slot but who is their redzone threat?

I know Bill always makes his team more than the sum of its parts but I just look at that roster and think meh. Good OLine, good secondary, not a lot else.

3. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    The Steelers weapons have the ‘potential’ to be very good. Now let’s see it!

Not sure about putting the Ravens back in their place. They might have the best roster in the league. That said, I don’t think there is any team more dependent on a single player than the Ravens are on Lamar Jackson. The entire offence and game plan is built around his very rare abilities. If he gets hurt or even doesn’t play as well as last year they could regress.

4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm going on historical evidence. The only non-Steeler team to win the AFCN/Central three years running was the 85-87 Browns (M. Shottenheimer) since its inception in 1970.

I also think the Raisins have had much better teams than their current one & Hairball has yet to pull this feat off. (Neither has Tomlin...:facepalm:)

Sidenote-
    Steelers have done it twice:

Noll won the title 6 years straight. 1974-79.

Cowher 4 consecutive times. 1994-97.

The standard is the standard Popcorn. :rules:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers weapons are better than New England weapons

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Buffalo Bills have other thoughts.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Maybe. They have their own QB issue. It wouldn’t be surprising to see those 2 teams play a couple of 13-10 kind of games this season.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It isn't a foregone conclusion that Cam will start. BB loves Stidham and said it will be a QB competition. Plus nobody has seen Cam play quality football for well over a season. He had the shoulder surgery and then the lisfranc with the foot. Why else would nobody offer him a decent contract?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed.

The question though is why wait this long?! Tkm Brady was already gone. Did Cam make the initial negotiations that difficult. I simply find that a bit hard to believe.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Despite having Career marks in completion percentage in 2018, Cams style of play still was the main driving force. As I have stated before, such a style is entertaining but also costly as those hits add up. We saw some of his immense athleticism take a hit last season.

Who knows how he will look in 2020?!?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They are both bad. A D is better grade than a F but that doesn't make a D a good grade.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah afcc is out the question. Only way they make it is if somehow bmore and kc end up palying each other in round 2. They can't beat either one of those teams especially KC unless cam magically turns back into mvp cam which I dont see happening. He will be good. Not bad. Offensively I'm with you but defensively tbh they've always been among top 10 for most of his tenure in points allowed i still dont even know how the defense last yr was ranked number 1. I didnt see the talent but he always finds a way to make them work somehow.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers weapons aren't that bad, a former pro bowler at RB and WR in Conner and JuJu, they have Diontae who led all rookies WRs in receptions. Vance is healthy, Ebron 2 years ago had 13 TDs, Washington stepped up last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They were the number 1 ranked defence last year mainly because they had an absolute peach of a schedule. The few good teams that they did face beat them and moved the ball against that defence just fine. Not saying they weren’t good, of course they were, I’m just not sure that they were the best defence in the league. Their secondary / pass defence was very good to be fair.

I think I’d take the Steelers defence over theirs right now though.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Idk if I would call him better than Harbaugh as the ravens are superbowl contenders in a entirely different fashion than the style of team harabugh originally won with. We dont know if Tomlin will field another sb team without Ben.

As for them winning the divison I just don't see it. Ravens overall are the better team and they have the better qb at this point in time.
    I mean if want to talk about years ago I can bring up stuff alot of people did years ago. Conner has proven to be glass and he was primarily voted in the pro bowl the year he got on because of how leveon shunned his nose at the team and lomg as he was decent people were going to hype him up to give the finger to bell.. Since that died down havent heard from him. Boo boo got exposed last yr without having a guy ranked by his peers as the 2nd best overall player in the nfl to take the focus and pressure off him. Not a number 1 receiver and dont want to hear about qbs because I could show you several receivers that play now and throughout history that balled with bad qbs and their starters were out and they didn't look this bad he had 500 yards. Vance is nice but nothing to write home about. Diontae did lead in receptions but he only had 13 more catches than Hollywood while playing in more games and Hollywood was playing with a screw in his foot. Not impressive. Washington average at best. Ebron nice but you mentioning these guys like they the chiefs, saints, bucs,etc.. level weapons. Most of them you named wouldn't even start on most teams.

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I said all year kc was winning it all. I dont think bmore can beat THEM but they are better than everyone else except them but mahoems is just better than lamar. Hes in a class by himmself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont put that on the defense. Their offense was terrible and brady is washed. Any game they gave up more than 14 points they lost. The defense held tennesee to less points than everyone in the playoffs but they couldn't score. I dont expect a defense to comepletly shutdown mahomes, Watson, lamar etc.. those type of guys. Offense didnt hold up their end of the bargain in those games.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree

Don't see them winning 3 years staight. That was back when they had a top notch defensive guru playing in Cleveland.

Better Qb...:roflmao::goofy: :lolol: Not even close :nono:

Conner's probowl had nothing to do with his stats? Come on man

I understand that you are a fan of players over teams. Just football ability or results from players?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Ravens put up nearly forty points on them in a beatdown, Texans and Miami put up 28, that does not scream shutdown defence to me. Texans and especially Miami were not doing that to other teams routinely.

A lot of the rest of their schedule was just a lot of bad teams, as nice a schedule as any NFL team could hope for and that schedule helped their stats and Gilmore's run to DPOY considerably.

The playoff loss at home was a low scoring game that they let Henry control on the ground, he toyed with them the whole night on his way for nearly 200 yards and you want to put that on the offence? Again, a great defence would not have let that happen, regardless of how bad the offence was.

As I stated in my post above they had a very good defence, particularly in the secondary. I’d consider them to be a bit overrated though as an overall unit is all I am saying. There is plenty of middle ground between being elite and complete garbage.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    His stats weren't earth shattering. He had good numbers but I feel like the main reasons behind him being the leading vote getter was becuase of the bell situation.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Miami is a divisional opponent. It happens the 2000 ravens gave up almost 40 to the jaguars who were in their divison at the time. And um look at Houston schedule. They put numbers on alot of people they have desaun watson and had dhop. Bmore had lamar they were doing that to almost everybody. You picked two teams with 2 of the 5 best qbs in the nfl to say look they aren't good. And I never said they were elite bu heir defense is good enough to keep them in most games.

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Houston were not killing teams they scored less against several poorer teams. Ravens were putting 40 + on a lot of teams but if the Pats were the best in the league surely they should be doing better?

And for the third time I never said they weren’t good!! Pointless debating with you when you are twisting what I say to make yourself ‘right’ so will bow out. Thank you and good night

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what you're talking about, if you don't think Diontae wasn't impressive in his rookie season, Washington averaged almost 17 YPC with scrub QBs. So what if the Steelers weapons aren't as good as the Chiefs, before when the Steelers were loaded on offense they didn't win anything.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Twisting words when did i ever say they were the best in the league? I never said that and in THIS NFL with the rule changes and physicality being take out of the game great offense will beat great defense. Just having a good defense won't cut it anymore like you could long time ago. You cant impose your will like you used to be able to.

And so were the 2000 ravens not good because a team put up nearly 40 on them? Were the 85 bears not good because marino dropped nearly 40 on them? Were the 2015 broncos not good because the Steelers put up 34 on them and AB completely torched them? You're taking a few outliers to say look they did this and that so they aint that good like seriously?