1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots Signed Cam Newton

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just read that the Pats signed Newton to a 1 year deal. So, BB has had all of his coaching success with one of the most cerebral and clutch QBs of all time. Now he’s bringing in a guy who has had his success due mostly to physical prowess (whose body has been breaking down), and when the most critical moment in his career arrived he was so clutch that he jumped away from his own fumble like it was a live hand grenade. Oh yeah, pass me the $@“!? Popcorn! :popcorn:

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think this is bad news for the Steelers. Cam can carry a team when motivated imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Definitely bad news for us. Cam will have more line and WR support in NE. Carolina kinda left him out there in that SB against that Den defense. He really didn't have a true go to guy at WR after Smith left. I don't think the Pats are going anywhere but if we have to play them, they just got better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cam Newton is past his prime in terms of his athletic ability. To expect him to commit to the otherworldly acts of athletic feats we saw early in his career is a bit of a leap of faith. This is not including the fact that Cam Newton really does not have any major form of weaponry on Offense.

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Surely they didn't sign him as a starter...…. Did they?

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I really don't think that's gonna happen here. Cam isn't Tom Brady.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    $1m before incentives apparently which is backup money but I’d imagine that he’ll see the field at some point, if he doesn’t win the job in camp.

Cams best years are behind him and his health is always going to be a concern but for that money I’d have him no problem.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    NE owes most of their "success" to their defense & ability to know what the other team is running playwise.

Belicheat > Marsha

We'll see what happens.

Edit: honestly do you see Marsha diving on that fumble in the SB? I don't.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Who else on their roster is a better QB?

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Edelman(?) I thought they were all giddy about Stidham. Maybe it's just because I don't like Cam, or the Patriots.

11. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    There! Fixed that for ya!! :)

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not entirely.

Big Ben has far more weapons than Cam does in New England.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cam isn't that accurate, and New England weapons on offense are weak.

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't think signing Cam gets them to the Super Bowl, but it does make them better. A good move for NE, not sure that a better QB was available.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Cam gets them the AFCE title. Bills might surprise me but I think they are a year away. Belicheat won't hold back on any shady decisions once they get there imo.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Id agree with that. To me, it was Buffalo's division to lose before this move. But now, with an experienced QB, the Pats are definitely in a position to take the AFCE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think the Pats are a major threat this year even with Cam. The roster has too many holes and they have no cap space. That changes dramatically in 2021 and they’ll have a tonne of compensatory picks to backfill the roster. They are in reboot mode, albeit they are far too good to tank.

The big question is what the long term plan is at QB, I doubt it’s Cam, maybe Stidham but they clearly don’t trust him yet.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I thought Brady regressed as the season went on last year. Personally I put their offensive woes on him not having his playmaker, clutch Gronk there to bail him out when they needed a score. Edelman was on everyone's radar.

Belicheat has one of if not the best defensive minds in football currently. (Maybe all-time)

J. Allen has the tools to be one of the next elite QBs. I just need to see more risk/reward out of him than I saw last year.

I could be wrong about Cam, but a change of scenery should spark his desire to be one of the better QBs again. He probably is playing for his last big chance to get paid.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It was a bit of everything. Their offence just wasn’t good, no run game, no receiving threat, too easy to play against. Defence was statistically the best in the league but as soon as they played the better teams they fell apart and they’ve lost a lot of pieces like Collins and Van Noy in free agency.

While you never count out BB I’m not seeing where the improvements are coming from to make them a contender in 2020. Their roster is quite average. They’ll still probably make it to 9-7 or even 10-6 and might sneak in to the playoffs but the Ravens or Chiefs would destroy them.

Don’t get me wrong they have the best coach in the league and they’ll be back but not in 2020 imo. Recent drafts have been a bit of a disaster for them. They have no star power now, particularly on offence.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll never sell Bill short. Was it a desperation move or does Hoodie see a game plan for him.

At worst they will be more competitive than I thought they’d be this year, at best, they’ll be a thorn in every teams side again and in the hunt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is also a better quarterback. Steelers also have the better defense

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    But...

1055283188.jpeg

"Come to the dark side Cam."

They have us on this one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They still cheat. It’s just sad at this point lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Our weapons are good?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Defensively they will be fine. Those guys you mentioned you saw them in other places and they didn't look anywhere near as good as they did in NE. Belichick will have the defense ready like he has always. Offense is a question but I trust cam and the paly calling if McDaniels will be serviceable enough for them to win the divison