1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots play to win, Steelers play not to get "blown out"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 23, 2016.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Coaching lost this game. We thought the Patriots would go to TE all game like they normally do so they run and do screens then go to TE after halftime and we make "adjustments" They thought we'd run the ball and we run the ball. Good job, coaching. Game was over when Tomlin decided to receive in typical fashion. 3 and out and they get the ball at half. Field goals was never winning this game. Bell had a good game but running the ball was never winning this game. He runs for 5, holding, 1st and 15, runs for 5, 2nd and 10. Good job. Landry showed he had what it took to win this game. He had success when in shotgun/4 wide. Should have done that the whole game. Defense actually wasn't completely embarrassing.

Loss is on

A) Tomlin

B) Haley

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

The bye week has come at a very good time. Everyone is in need of a rest.

The new season of The Walking Dead starts at 9:00 PM. Woot!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Erm, ok.

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    3 and out. Patriots get the ball at half. Way to ignore the facts. Belicheat always defers because of the numbers. Tomlin ignores that but plays the numbers at the end and punts down 11 with 5 minutes. Horrible coach is horrible. That's why one is 4 time SB Champion and the other is a Madden Champion.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure what facts I'm ignoring here. We lost because of a number of things... Electing to receive was almost certainly not one of them.

Any stat that says teams are more likely to win because they defer is really confusing causation and correlation.

But I get it, you're mad at Tomlin. Hell, I'm mad that we could have won this game. If we'd had Ben, we could have destroyed them.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm Mike Tomlin, I do a combination of playing the numbers/winging it yo. Only game he's EVER won us by making an actual decision was going for 2 against the Chargers. 1) It should have never came to that and 2) Defense read the play and stuffed it. LeVeon Bell just made an incredible individual effort to win us the game. Tomlin is useless. But I'll make sure to tune into the post game and listen to the key words. We didn't execute, next man up, going to go into the bye week and evaluate, etc. Tomlin is worthless.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We don't always take the ball and we don't always win the coin toss either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If Ben had played, Belichick would've come with a different game plan.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    We weren't supposed to win op...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Few thought the Steelers were going to win the game, that's why they were -7 point underdogs. You could question Tomlin on the 54 yd FG, but to pin the loss because of coaching is nonsense. Maybe the pre-snap penalties and Boswell missing that earlier FG had a lot to do with the loss, and all those injuries caught up to them.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No **** but we didn't even play to win. That's why I'm pissed. Had a free game to gameplan and give a chance but nope. Typical Steelers offense run, run, pass or pass, run, pass.

I like him and defended him tooth and nail but I'm done with Tomlin. Losses the games we are suppose to win and lays eggs against the best teams in the league. Forever mediocre with Tomlin as coach.

12. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    we weren't supposed to win this game

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The decision to attempt a 54 yard FG at that point of the game on 4th and 2 was idiotic.

We were out coached and out played. It was especially hard to watch the final 5 minutes. We were so unprepared we couldn't get set to run the plays called, delay of game penalty, confusion, and what finally just giving up. Clock management was aweful. Back up qb or not, that was embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If our team was fully healthy.... haha jk that's not possible

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I almost wonder if Patriots rope-a-doped us in this game ... Thinking ahead to the playoffs.

Honestly they should have blown us out of the water. Perhaps they didn't want to show too much?

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!

17. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    I was fine with the coaching today, up until Tomlin took the air out of the stadium with the 54-yard FG attempt. Good game plan on both sides of the ball, player mistakes cost them at least 10 points.

But they were dead when that kick fluttered to the right.

18. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    They better have, otherwise, not too impressed.

But that's their game. Short crossers to midgets, downfield to monster TEs, good running, sound red zone defense. This team would lose by 30 to one of the great Steeler or Niner dynasty teams. They're an average football team in the grand scheme of things, but they don't make mistakes and take what the other team gives them.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But yet Coach T and others will get a pass? Go figure. I am tired of the unprepared football IQ of our coaching staff.
    We are severely mismatched when it comes to coaching PERIOD. I have been so done with him for
    so long , I have given up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I Lol when I hear people say we don't game plan.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm certainly not one to give Tomlin a pass, but in terms of in-game decision making I can only really fault him for the 54 yard FG attempt. The bad challenge in the 1st half also bugged me, but we really don't know what he was or was not hearing from the booth, and he had to make a decision. I partially blame the NFL for the silly non-definition of what is and isn't a catch.

The two wasted timeouts and wasted time waiting for a play late in the game are probably more on Jones and/or Haley. It ultimately reflects on a Tomlin as the leader, but you quite frankly see that and worse from backup QBs across the league. That's not something that affects only the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The game plan was excellent, and gave us a great chance to win against huge odds. I can be critical as all hell of Tomlin, but the team was ready yesterday and we simply lost due to 1) a ridiculous amount of key injuries, 2) bad execution on a handful of plays, and 3) (yes I'm going there) a horrid non-call for PI on what could have been a game changing play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I give them no concession. Only thing is we didn't get embarrassed. Which it seem like the Patriots was just toying with us and Belicheck respects the organization and Tomlin and called off the dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I honestly think they did but with that said. This game was winnable. This was the worst the Patriots have played in long time.

Really? Lets see if they just defer. turnover, ball at half. That's 3 extra possessions. Then 3-0, missed field goal, and no ball at half and still 0-0. Horrible challenge, waste of timeouts, turnover at the 50 and run it 2 times and get no points? Coaching let us down.

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Aside from the fact that this statement makes no sense, you really need to let this defer thing go. If it was that straightforward, they wouldn't even bother giving coaches the choice of deferring or not. Or am I just missing something you're trying to say here?

Well, sure - why didn't Haley call the "Touchdown" play? Or at least call the "Get a First Down" play??? Why did the coaches not bother to tell Bell to run further?????? Damn you, coaches!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1