1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots at Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelNumbers, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree Acorn. We need to drop back on D, let them do their dink and dunk but tighten up in the red zone. On offense we need to come out firing. They can not run with our receivers.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Lebeau won't change it up much with alignments, he never has done it before, the only thing I can think of him doing is going partial man-to-man in the secondary instead of zone.

3. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I totally disagree. I lived in NE for 28 years and I've seen Brady play a lot. The teams that he has trouble with all put pressure on him. Make him move out of the pocket, sack him.

The teams that sit back and let the dink and dunk are the ones that get burned. No more evidence is needed than the Cowboys game just a couple of weeks ago. They let Brady just dink them and then when he is down around the 20, he goes yard, which is basically another dink. Ten yard reception and the guy runs it in.

Without pressure, he has time to sit there and wait until someone gets open. When you send 6 guys out, the defense cannot watch everyone for 5 or 6 seconds. Sooner or later, someone will break free and given no pressure, he simply dumps it off on those crossing patterns.

Given the lack of success the Steelers have had against Brady doing exactly what you are talking about should be a good indicator that it does not work!

Brady is suspect to pressure. He is not used to getting hit, nor having people in his face. He is a pure pocket passer and you must make him uncomfortable. Letting him sit back there and just cherry pick the receiver has not been successful by anyone.

The Pats loose when Brady is put at pressure and is hit or getting sacked. Success against any great player is forcing them to do what they do not want to do, not letting them do what they are best at.

rutan

4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Which is why he should. Whatever he has done before has not worked. Continuing to do something that doesn't work is just blind stubbornness and will cause the Steelers to lose.

5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    That's true, unless you think your secondary is better than in those days.We have Lake as the coach and some new young faces compared to last year.

If Lebeau feel the secondary is better, he probably thinks Keenan Lewis and Curtis Brown can make some plays....and maybe he won't change a thing then.

If this was the exact team as last year I would say, yes, do some crazy formations. I'm just real curious what Keenan Lewis and Curtis Brown can do, maybe even Cortez Allen?

6. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not a problem of personnel, it's a problem of scheme vs scheme. The Patriots know how to exploit LeBeau's defensive system with Tom Brady as their QB. If the Steelers blitz (sacrifice a LB or safety for the pass rush), the Patriots will screen and slant the secondary and linebackers to death. Unless the blitzers are getting to Brady immediately after snap, the pass rush is practically worthless. If the Steelers don't blitz, then Brady will have all day to throw. You're just never going see anyone beat the Patriots when that's happening. So, you can either stick with the scheme that hasn't worked a lick in a decade, or you can change it.

Going to a 4-3 for the Patriots is really the only way to go. The Giants proved this in their Super Bowl victory. When a 4-man rush is getting to Brady, you really, really see his effectiveness drop, and you can do it without sacrificing bodies that should be in coverage.

Our CBs are not difference makers. At all. Except maybe Ike, but even then it's minimal. It's not like we have a couple of future Revises waiting the wings.

7. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that letting Brady sit back and dink and dunk is not a recipe for success, but neither is blitzing, as evidenced by our previous attempts. We need to get pressure with 4, somehow creatively, and still have enough manpower to cover the receivers. A tough challenge. We also need to score - a lot.

We could also hope for Brady to be rusty or have a bad game - it can happen, but rarely against the Steelers. Maybe it is time.

I will be fascinated to see what Lebeau tries this year.

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Shows how lame ESPN is. Brady never faced the REAL Steel Curtain. If he had he'd have been beaten bloody :hehehe:

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree that teams that do well against Brady are teams that get pressure on him, but they are teams that can get pressure on him without blitzing, which is not our team. Our D line is not built for pressure, it is built for gap integrity and eating up blockers. That is why we have such a hard time against this guy. We have to blitz to get to him and then he picks us apart. I still say drop the defenders back and hope for a couple of INT's. Anyway we go, we are going to have to score early and often. By the way, I live in NE and am tired of having to go into work on a Monday after being spanked by the Pats. I here it for 2 weeks after. I would love to go in this Monday with my terrible towel held high.

10. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ
    I agree teams that can get pressure without blitzing would be the best bet. And our team is about scheme and trickery not about brute force.

That is why I always felt in Casey's heyday they should have game planned him to blitz Brady all day using stunts or what ever.... He is the only one who could:
    A. win a one-on-one match up and then B. Sack the QB.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This games going to be a shoot out, not going to be much D. Peter King had an article about Mike Wallace and how he thinks he is going to have a big game, says he's a bad match up for NE. Lets hope he's right. We're not going to stop Brady, best we can hope for is slowing him down. I agree with the posts in this thread about rushing up the middle, get in Bradys face and also get those hands up and batter some balls away, maybe even deflect some into interceptions. We need to win this game, Ravens won't be losing to an inferior team 2 weeks in a row.

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  13. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting stuff, looks like they have no depth at CB. hope we can use this to help win tommorow.
    Thanks for posting

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's right. We can talk until we're all blue in the face about if our defense can stop their offense. Well, we can't (compared to other teams we play), so it'll be up to our offense to put up some points. If we score high 20's we win. Just hope this is a game where our offense brings it.

15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks any given sunday upsets are possible. All we can hope for is a Patriots team who comes into the Burgh over confident and a Steelers team fired up and hungry for a win. GO STEELERS :praying:

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    just heard a nice stat, teams coming off the bye week are 3 and 9. hope the patsies add to the 9

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Wow, that is a nice stat. :applaud: Let's hope the patsies add to the majority. :herewego:

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hopefully the patsies will be over thinking about this game.( having the week off) Too bad Dick couldn't sit down and watch the same tapes as the cheats do, then switch everything around. Sounds like too much work though , it would probably cut into his tea in the rocking chair time. They could really mess with their heads if they wanted too, Pitts keeps running the same D vs them, be nice to see everything get turned upside down. ( especially brady onto his head)

19. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    A bit misleading. All but 3 of the sub .500 teams have had their bye week.

20. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
  21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good catch. That's a very valid point. Still, for the superstitious out there, this could help. :)

22. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers pass defense is rated highly this year partially since other team have run the ball on us with some success. We HAVE to hit Brady hard early in the game. It will be worth the penalty. Also, mistake-free football will be required to keep us in the game.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  24. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    HA HA! Just a nice Irish folk song.

25. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    HA HA! Just a nice Irish folk song.[/quote:23mh753v]

Outstanding!