1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots at Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelNumbers, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That means they have to keep Kemo on the bench

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    :this: I think that is the answer. Not blitzing continually will help. Keep the OLBs in coverage as well.. Brady is a dink and dunk QB . Thats how he wins games

Bman

3. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's what LaBeau usually tries to do. Our CBs and LBs just aren't good enough in coverage to contain Welker, Branch, Hernandez, and Gronkowski without a pass rush. And lets not forget about Green-Ellis. He had about 5 yards a carry last year. NE is just a matchup nightmare.

Maybe they should go 4-3 for this one and see how that works out. We really can't afford to sacrifice Troy or LBers for a pass rush.

4. SHARKS

SHARKS New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is Hines Ward playing this weekend game ?
    Heard something about a ankle injury on NFL network.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Last I heard, he was listed as questionable. Anyone heard an update?

6. So Cal Steeler

So Cal Steeler Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a feeling we beat them. Dick LeBeau I'm sure is tried of Belicheck genius crap, we all are. He's an ill tempered little cheat. I think we see our first complete game from our team. These are proud men, they're tried of the stat line. And they're going to be up to change it. I just hope they save enough for the Rats.

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Hines is suppose to play according to Live@4

Bman

8. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Don't you think their rushing defense is ranked higher than it should be because of the "high scoring games" also?

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That's a good point. If the patsies are way up on a team, then the opposing O will not be trying to run, they'll be airing it out. So, yeah, I could see that the 8th ranked rushing D for NE could be a little skewed.

10. SHARKS

SHARKS New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm going to be honest boys I'm a little nervous :praying:

11. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Steelers have a 15% chance to win this game IMO. We would have to get very lucky to actually be able to contan Brady and expect a gameplan that didn't have Arians trying to have Ben throw 60 times in the game like Brady will. They just have a significant edge in coaching and it isn't even close really. As always, we just have to pray somebody knocks them outta the playoffs before we would see them. Oh, and beat the Ravens next week!

12. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Uhmm, Steeltradition83. Can you please send me an 8 x 10 of your avatar? :shock: Thank-you.

diehard

13. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I love games like this. We are very capable of winning, but it will take a lot of changes to our defensive schemes. We must pressure Brady and not let him read the actual defense prior to the snap. If you get in his head he is easily beat. This rarely happens, but it can be done. I do think this is the perfect game for us right now. We are on a roll and need to keep the momentum going by flattening the Patriots. I doubt we will blow them out, but we will win a close one. I wanna see Marcia cry at the end of this one. :herewego!:

14. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Man we really need to win this game. ESPN NFL has the line, "Brady makes the Steel Curtain look like dirty drapes." It's time to shut up the media and the Pats fans.

15. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lol I'll see what I can do for ya diehard :thumbs_up:

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I worry that Bruce will out-think himself yet again. I don't want him thinking he needs to do nothing but throw in order to try to get as big a lead as possible. I really, really hope that doesn't happen. Besides, don't let the stats fool you, the Pats passing D has gotten much better since week 1, so lets not think we can throw with ease on them. We need to establish the run and try to tire out their defence. If we can do that, we can keep Brady on the bench and keep him out of rhythm. Short passes and running is how we will win this game. Long bombs to Wallace are not a good idea, we don't want to get into a shootout with them.

17. Roopdawg

Roopdawg New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As a long time Steeler fan(1976) and current resident of Massachusetts (Ugh) I want to see a competitive game. Last year's game sucked from the get go. The Halloween game of 2004 was awesome. The crowd needs to get into the game and stay in the game. I will say this though, the Ravens game is clearly the most important of the two. :herewego!:

18. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the Steelers could use a bizarre strategy. We seem now to be a quick strike offense, so that is what I expect. We have not been successful at long, sustained drives, so we should try to score early, score often, and score quick. That is a more likely scenario on offense. Not Steelers football of old, but we have the weapons to do it now. Make the Pats play catch up.

On defense, I don't think pressuring Brady with more than 4 guys works - he is too good at quick passes and picking people apart in the vacancies. Staying back in good coverage, and forcing Brady to wait and let the standard four guys get to him may work best. Force them to make long, sustained drives with their crappy short passing game, tackling receivers after they catch the ball, and get in a shootout. I think we win that type of game. I think our defense can hold Brady to this type of game better than the Pats defense can contain Ben and our receivers. It sure will be fun to watch.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers MUST get pressure from their interior DL into TB
    face, The giants laid the blue print on how to beat the Patriots.
    You do it with PRESSURE FROM DL.

20. SHARKS

SHARKS New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dude this morning I woke to nfl network saying the same thing :thumbsdown:

I wish it was sunday already

21. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nice of ESPN NFL to go back in history, but the Steel Curtain was 30 years ago. Blitzburgh was several years ago. I wish we had a cool, accurate nickname now.

22. mongoose

mongoose Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Every sports venue I've scanned has this huge love fest for the Patriots and how TB has dominated the Steelers over the years. Same groups of people who anointed the Ravens the new "king" of the AFC north, but things sure have been quiet since their beat down Monday night. I like the fact that the Steelers are getting no respect, it seems like that fires the team up a little going into the game...at least let's hope

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Question is. Do we have the personnel to bring the pressure. ILB with Foote and Farrior might be a problem

Bman

24. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we go:

DE: Keisel/Hood/Heyward
    DT: McClendon/Keisel
    DT: Hampton/Keisel/Hoke
    DE: Woodley/Heyward

I think it would get some pressure. Woodley did play DE in college.

Unfortunately, with Harrisons' injury, that would leave our LBs with less than ideal personnel:

LOLB: Carter
    MLB: Farrior/Timmons/Foote/Sylvester
    ROLB: Worilds

25. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not a Hood fan so I'd put him behind Heyward who at least gets some push & penetration and stays on his feet. Silverback's absence does complicate our ability to get to marcia. Lebeau needs to come up with some new and creative schemes to keep their score to 28 or under. If he uses the same old stuff we have been doing, the pats have been preparing their attack on what's on tape, and we're in trouble. I despise the patsies but they are the best in the NFL at exploiting their opponents weaknesses, even without cheating. Both our players and coaches will need to step up this week or this contest could get ugly. I'm going out on a limb and predict a final score of Steelers 31 - Pats 28.