1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Patriots at Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelNumbers, Oct 25, 2011.

1. SteelNumbers

SteelNumbers New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Offense

Patriots Offense ranked - 1st in total yards
    Passing Offense ranked - 1st
    Rushing Offense ranked - 12th

Steelers Offense ranked - 9th in total yards
    Passing Offense ranked - 9th
    Rushing Offense ranked - 14th

Defense

Steelers Defense ranked - 3rd total yards
    Passing Defense - 1st
    Rushing Defense - 12th

Patriots Defense ranked - 32nd total yards
    Passing Defense - 32nd
    Rushing Defense - 8th

Turnover Differential
    Steelers - -9 32nd overall
    Patriots - +1 15th overall

When looking at the numbers I worry about an ability to run and control the game because Brady and company will score. I think the Patriots 32nd ranking in pass defense is inflated from high scoring games with teams needing to pass to keep up.

The games seems to be leaning towards a shoot-out but all of the patriots games have been aside from the game VS Dallas.
    Numbers don't lie, is our defense good enough to help our lesser offense keep up.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Usually the Patriots have our number and I dont know that it will be any different this year however there are two things that give us a glimmer of hope. Our passing defense is dramatically better this year and offensively I think we have assembled before us the best receiving corp collectively we have witnessed in a very long time.

Bman

3. LA_STEEL

LA_STEEL Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Solutions to stop the Patriots.
    1. Pressure brady often
    2.Run the ball
    3.Controll the clock :herewego!:

4. SteelNumbers

SteelNumbers New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    the option to control the clock may not be available if you look at our slight lack to run the ball consistently and their run defense we may be looking at a shoot out ala green bay steelers 2 years ago.

5. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They key to getting to Brady is 3 and 4 man rush up the middle. You must get pressure in his face and you must hit him. I don't believe our edge rush will be a factor at all with how fast Brady gets the ball out. However the teams that have rattled Brady did it by rushing up the middle and getting in his face.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My concern with looking at stats/rankings is the opponents. The Patsies have played teams with a combined record of 19-19 vs. 16-29 for Steelers opponents.

The Steelers need to run the ball down their throats and keep TommyGirl off of the field.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You have to take all those stats with a grain of salt except one, turnovers, there's really no grey area with that one, that needs to improve and in a hurry.

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    we used to run this blitz where timmons and farrior would come up the middle and cross. the way to get brady of his game is get him off his spot in the middle of the pocket. I havent seen this in a while. it may be because it is not working anymore. just thinking about how to get pressure

9. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Anyone remember the last time we played the Patriots on Halloween weekend?

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    You are 100% right here!!!!....Thats how we beat them!!!!

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm thinking it was when we stomped 'em at home back in '04 or '05? 8-)

12. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    oh yeah, we ended something like a 22 game win streak to the Patriots. It was a glorious day

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Honestly I could care less about this game. The goal here is to get them to put their best stuff on tape for the playoffs...period. Next week...Baltimore, that is the game I care about.

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    WHAT????We need this game and next to controll the AFC...Your a moron if you think this game means nothing!!!

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    OK, let's take it easy. We're all on the same side here. :drinks: :good:

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a very astute analysis. The edge rush will be nullified by refs failing to call holding, anyway.

I wonder what the current odds are on number of roughing the passer penalties we get called on?

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    The Patriots will score, there's no denying that. I think the best defensive gameplan for this game is the offensive game plan. They need long, sustained SCORING drives that keep Brady and Co off the field. If they manage to do that, they stand a much better chance of winning.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm seeing our number one pass defense ranking taking a hit Sunday.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I started watching the America's Game episode of that season. There's a bit where the Pats talking heads are all saying about how arrogant the Steelers players were by celebrating so much that they beat them. Erm - we just beat a 23 game winning streak with a rookie QB guiding us, are we not going to be a little happy?

Stopped watching after that. Come to think of it, not sure why I started watching it in the first place.

20. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Your right our outside linebackers will be held all game, and Brady loves to have a clean pocket to step up into. So send them hard and fast up the middle and get in his face.

21. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Our pass rush will be nullified by the plethora of screens and short slants that we have not shown any ability to stop for the past 10 years.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would not rush the OLB's at all.

I would blitz a lot with our nickel back, our stunt the Dline and try to get Keisel and Ziggy after Brady.

23. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    4. Don't turn the ball over :frustrated:
    5. Limit stupid penalties :frustrated:

There, now that should do it. Go Steelers!!

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben needs to be on point. We can't have receivers open and the throw is just a bit off, and they go 3 and out.

If Steelers go 3 and out on their first 3 possessions, and Pats score on first 3 possessions they are done.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011