1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

PASSING GAME

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikey5513, Jan 21, 2017.

1. mikey5513

mikey5513 Member

Nov 6, 2016
    This is my first post on this Forum. I have been an avid steelers fan for 60+ years. Everything I've been reading the past few days (in the Press) has put all the burden on the Steeler's running game - as if the passing game left a lot to be desired. In a sense, the running game has dominated recently -- I believe to too great of an extent. I believe the Steelers could have a great passing attack what with Ben & a whole host of very capable, if not super, receivers. So, why then isn't Haley mixing it up more? Where are the slants & the swings? Bell & Brown should be running more of those patterns. They were virtually absent last week. I get so frustrated when 1st down is so frequently a running play & on 3rd down and 3, a long pass for an incompletion (on the opponents 40 yd. line, none-the-less). Anyway, I'm not a football coach so what do I know? I just wish there was somewhat more passing for a more balanced attack. Feedback please.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Welcome to the board, mikey!

I think Haley likes to mix it up. We were expected to come out running against the Chiefs, and instead we threw for most of the first drive (as I recall). So the passing game opened up the run game. Against NE, I think so much has been made of stopping Bell, the Pats will try and goad Ben into throwing. So my guess is we start off with heavy doses of Bell, and then open up the passing.

3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We will need to rely more on the passing game this week if we want to win. I think they will go all out to stop the run and at the same time double Brown some. Other receivers and Ben will need to come alive this week.

4. mikey5513

mikey5513 Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Yes, with some slants to Brown, swings to Bell, and some 20 yarders middle of field to Jesse. Plus anything to the other receivers.

5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Short, high percentage passes will help get Ben and the WR's into a rhythm IF he doesn't audible out of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    60 years you say? Sound like a Steelers guru

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Pass to set up run game. I have always believed in a balanced attack.

Note Ben's winning pctg goes way down if he throw's it more than 40 times a game.

The Steelers need to get Bell back involved in the passing game.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017