1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing Chart vs Falcons

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok

2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    If you had these questions would already be answered.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It may be as simple as protecting the offensive line. Get the ball out quick. Less coverage on the edges with our run game. Protecting the qb that struggles with reads. Cumulative. :cool:

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wish I knew why we don’t throw to the middle of the field. This dates back to Ben’s last couple years. I find it hard to believe that Tomlin won’t allow it.
    Why would Arthur Smith agree to that? I could somewhat see the two previous OC’s as they were spineless, but not a previous Head Coach like Smith.

5. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Ok … wanted to get the hat trick

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The only difference between Fields and Pickett is that the dots down the field turn green for Justin and white for Kenny ;)

It was a conservative gameplan with the starter out at the last minute. I'd love to see what we can cook up with a full week of preparation for Justin. I'd imagine we would test the deep part of the field a lot more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s not that he’s telling them not to throw to the middle of the field or to open receivers it’s his ultra conservative mentality. Where do most interceptions occur? Middle of the field. The QBs are petrified to make a mistake.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't know for sure, but it definitely seems schematic. Not too many defenses play man only and Cover 2 zone is the least used zone coverage in todays game. Cover 1 takes up 25% of the snaps and the rest of the man coverages (Cover 0 and Cover 2 only account for 8% of total snaps). These are the types of defenses that are susceptible to getting beat deep or getting beat in the middle of the field. 66% of dropbacks are zone coverage in today's NFL and over 50% of the snaps are into Cover 3, Cover 4 or Cover 6. All of these defenses are willing to allow shorter, outside the numbers stuff in an effort to stop big plays and make teams sustain long drives. They are essentially daring teams to throw the 5-10 yard out all the way down the field. Most teams are willing to bet that their pass rush ruins the drive before the opposition can move the ball too far down the field in small chunks.

Essentially defenses are FORCING the passing charts to look the way ours looked week 1 scematically.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    "Doyle Brunson always said you don't lose what you don't put in the middle. You don't win much, either."

That's the most restrictive chart in the league for Week One (Mayfield is a distant second). See the rest here.

10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    While definitely well thought out, your response was way above my pay grade! With all of them numbers, all my dumb brain could think of as a response is, "I like boobs!"

Nicely done!:drinks:

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah I will tell You what is really familiar. Terrible Qbs

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OMG.
    I freaking predicted this would be said before the season started if Fields ,and his lack of reading played. There are routes going to the middle of the field.....just like last year......nobody is telling them not to throw it there. Isn't it funny under the same exact Head Coach.....Trubisky threw there all the time.....it just happened to be picks, and Mason threw there also. The only thing that is the same is the Qbs ability to read a freaking field.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    5 out of 8 INTs by Fields last season came in the MOF, and people are wondering why the Steelers avoided this area?!?

• Like Like x 2
  14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, he threw 9.. and 5/9 is about as close to half as you can get.... Defenses force the sideline throws. Make them easy to get and make MOF very hard to get. I'd like to see some more PA designed roll outs for Fields. I could care less about the passing chart if we could find a way to pretty consistently get about 225-240 yards in the air.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    BS :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we can make some assumptions based on what we have watched now for 4 seasons.

Tomlin is ULTRA conservative.

our turnover ratio is impressive the past couple of seasons.

but our lack of offensive production is unimpressive.

pick your poison?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

of course it was willful

19. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Well, I guess it really depends on whether they're winning games or not. If they're conservative and not turning the ball over yet still lose, that's a problem. I suppose they can manage the team that way in the regular season and work their way into the playoffs but then they're going to have to find some offense in case of a shoot out and that's not a switch that's easily turned on. Especially for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We both have been saying that since 2021!

Hopefully this is the season to break and buck that trend!

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Rodgers chart is weird! Pretty much ignored the whole right side of the field.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe this was intentional on Tomlin's part, but they have two quarterbacks who don't seem to like to throw over the middle in Wilson and Fields.

It does seem like this is the way Tomlin wants it and that is a huge problem. It fits in with my theory that at least part of Pickett's problem was that the team handled him horribly. They pounded into his head that he had to avoid turnovers at all costs and it took away his aggressiveness. He would only cut loose if the team needed a score late, and those were the moments he usually played his best football.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at their career numbers in the fourth quarter and you will see another difference, one that isn't good for Fields.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They are covering for the Qb.
    If it was willful.....why was Muth on a few routes to the middle of the field, and looking back for the ball. This is easy.....Example: Look no future than our very first 3 down. Muth is wide open in the middle of the field, and Fields runs it instead.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just the very 1st 3rd down will tell You it's not. Muth is open in the middle....turns around for the pass, and Fields runs instead.