1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pass interference in the NFL is becoming like flopping.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ravenhater, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ravenhater

ravenhater Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    In the NBA and Soccer. The first thing that pops in your mind 95% of the time is "what a gay call that was". Even if it is a call that we benefit from it still gives you a bad feeling. I can see calling it when it is blatant but some of the stuff that is called is just pathetic. What would Steeler Nation (and the Sports World in general) have done if Smith had not made that catch. They freaking called interference on Gay!!!! They would have had the ball at the 1. It was a total non-call and if you had to call something it looked like Smith pushed off. But still. It was a non-call. He catches it we lose. He doesn't it is fourth down. Let the play for God sake. Everytime a DB makes a play throughout the whole league someone is looking for a flag. It has gotten to the point it is just .... I don't even know the word for it. Frustrating I guess would be one but it is not even that anymore. It is just like why is that even called. Do they not watch what just happened or are they given instruction from up high to call stuff like that. It is beyond words. Don't even get me involved with the defenseless receiver call. Clark broke up the pass!!!! I guess pass interference and the defenseless receiver calls are the worst thing in the league at the moment that at time makes it unwatchable.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Re: Pass interference in the NFL is becoming like flopping..

PI and the BS "unnecesary roughness" calls on hits on WRs are just a means the refs have to keep the game where Goodell wants it to go.

Or do you think they're not under orders? :roflmao:

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

I call it the Randy Moss strategy. You just heave it deep and even if the receiver has no chance of catching it there is an 85% chance you get the flag and a PI call since no CB worth his salt lets a receiver get by with out some kind of hand on him. It is a joke and I wish the NFL would adopt a similar strategy as the NHL has for diving. You might get the call for a hook or a take down in the NHL but they will give a matching one if they think you embellished it and some of these receivers are just way overboard on the embellishing.

4. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I totally agree

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

It's funny, there seems to be very little punishment in the NFL for what we would call in soccer "diving". In soccer, going to ground in order to win a penalty is a punishable offence. Not always upheld consistently (it's difficult to say if a player just fell over, for example), but the rule is there.

I never like seeing drives kept alive by PI calls. We've had a lot of them to keep our offense in the game as well. But it's not entertaining in the slightest.

I thought the refs last night seemed to ignore the memo to "let them play". Far too many calls over nothing, on both teams.

6. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

I don't mind the refs calling a tight game IF they call it both ways. They didn't last night. The Rats were given MUCH more playing room and that leads the end of the game to seem scripted. I know the Steelers defense could have held the Rats on the last drive, as they should have, but think about it - would there be a better finish from the NFL's perspective than a last-second touchdown from Flake-o to anyone? Further, that last play could have easily been called offensive pass interference as well. This was a game that had its outcome determined by the officials and that should NEVER happen in the NFL. No excuses for the loss, but I was very disappointed that the game was called the way it was.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i totally agree. we got flat out screwed at home last night. that hine play was a catch to start with. that also should have been a PF helmet to helmet hit. it was on clark. the push off at the end just was par for the course. they don't want us winning after embarressing rodge's boyz. we got flat out hosed last night. :bscow: :cool:

8. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

The thing that bothers me about pass interference in the NFL is the offense is awarded the ball at the spot of the foul, right? Yet a WR is taught to maul a DB if the DB is going to intercept the ball and its only a ten yard penalty for offensive pass interference. How about if a WR commits pass interference on a 30 yard route its a 30 yard penalty on the offense, sounds fair to me. Come on NFL let these guys play, a little bit of hand checking and grabbing is ok, but every little ticky tack thing shouldnt be called unless its blatant and clear. DB's are at such a disadvantage anymore because the NFL wants high scores and alot of passing. The only advantage they gave the DB's recently is they are allowed to force a receiver out of bounds as he is trying to catch the ball.

9. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

The pass catch rules are ridiculous. It is just guess work whether the catch was made in slow motion and completely impossible in real time. There should be no rule that the refs on the field can't call correctly without replay.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

Yeah, essentially if you start calling everything, you have to call it both ways. But the Ravens also have more physical receivers, I think, which helped them out here.

Also - how did Lewis get away with the helmet to helmet? They reviewed the play, for goodness sake. They had seventeen slow motion replays of it. And at the end, we lose Hines and the completion, and Ray Ray gets lauded as a fantastic player.

Aaaaargh. :banghead:

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Exactly!

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I agree with you in general but having said that Taylor and Gay could be a little better with their holding technique. All DBs hold. Sometimes they get away with it and other times they don't but anytime you grab hold and PULL the jersey more often than not it's going to draw the flag and that's exactly what both of our guys did last night. The refs call that pretty consistently. It's not like hand checking all the way down the field or reaching around behind the receiver and getting an arm on the guy before he makes the catch which the refs are pretty inconsistent with their calls. If you're pulling jersey you're gonna get flagged because it just looks too obvious.