1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pass defence still worries me

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Oct 26, 2011.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone else still worried about our pass defence? I am.

So far we've played Joe Flacco who absolutely lit us up. We also played Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter, Matt Schaub who was without Andre Johnson for part of the game, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Hassleback without Kenny Brit, Kevn Kolb and Tavaris Jackson.

That's anything but an all star group of QB's and receivers. Don't get me wrong, you're still expected to beat weaker opponents and that's what we've done, but it does worry me that maybe our passing defence isn't as good as it has so far appeared. The Pats game worries me for this reason. Yes, if Ariens and Ben play smart, we can put up points on them, but I'm wondering if we can stop them.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Even when our pass defense was better, the Pats tore us up. We have every reason to be worried.

But I take what I get, and so far, they haven't hurt except for the first game. It hurt a lot, but I'm inclined to let it slide... now. Bad games happen. Especially in the first game.

Even if we get smoked this week, it's no better an indicator than the weeks we looked good against bad QBs. Still, if we DO find a way to contain Brady, then I'm going to be a lot more optimistic for the rest of the year.

3. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldnt go as far as saying Flacco lit us up. I think the steelers kind of folded in the game. Plus it was more like Ray Rice and Ricky Williams lit us up. They combined for 170 yards rushing, and for our defense, thats not supposed to happen in week 1. I will say Flacco played a decent game 224yds with 3tds. But our offense gave the game away. We turned the ball over entirely too much, we gave them amazing field position. Same with Arian Foster and the Texans game, he lit us up and we still almost won. I get what you're saying, we definitely havent played the top notch QB's of the league, and we have one of the best this week. Tom Brady, if he gets the time, is going to score. Im worried about the tight ends, thats Brady's bread and butter and if Foote and Farrior cant cover the ends, then we are in for a long day. Im nervous, but I believe we can win this game, and we have a better chance then some would think.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You took the words right out of my mouth about Flacco. The point is that we haven't played against a good QB so the #1 pass D ranking is cool, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Now, if we still have the #1 passing D and are 6-2 come Sunday evening, then we've got something boys!

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just hit Brady and all will be ok.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, if we can manage to keep Brady under pressure (which isn't easy) and contain Welker, this game is manageable. :herewego:

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I'm somewhat worried.

That says it all right there. I hope you and I are wrong, but given the teams that the Steelers have played this year, and given the history of Steelers vs. Pats, I have yet to see anything that makes me feel very confident about pass defense in the game this Sunday.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone keeps dismissing the #1 ranking because we haven't played top talent yet but did we even sniff the number 1 ranking spot last year? Or the year before? Or before that? No, pass defense is definitely improved. And if Brady lights us up it doesn't prove anything, he lights up lots of secondaries. What they can prove though is just how much better the pass defense is by keeping Brady in check and hopefully the rest of the D gives him a black eye in the process :blackeye:

9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll be jumping up and down if that happens. As I mentioned in another post, the second best thing in a game against the Pats (besides a win) is seeing Brady get taken to the turf.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I still can't get that heinous Uggs commercial out of my mind that pretty boy Brady made that aired during the fins game. My teenage daughter wears Uggs for crying out loud. Someone should strap up a pair of Uggs and stomp a mudhole in Brady's arse and then walk it dry!

11. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    They'll probably score 3 tds and 2 or 3 fgs. Thats 27 pts, maybe 30.
    So look for offense to have the final word on this one and save the day. The question seems to be if we can score more than that (30).
    I'm expecting something like a 3 pt margin: Winner 27 or 34 pts, Loser 24-31 pts.
    Hope we get 34, hold them under 31 and that could be it... No other team than GB & NE can spread their offenses and succeed against us (maybe by other factors, but not by shedding our Dbacks).
    My concern is not defense (since I suppose we already are giving up something around the 20highs), but our O gameplan.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we better worry. Better hope we have the pass rush of the century Sunday,
    TB could put up 400 on us real quick.

13. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The middle of the field will be a liability. Farrior/Foote are too slow and even Troy seems to be a step behind these days. We have to stop plays up the middle or we are toast.

14. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm guessing by your avatar that you have a suggested solution. I would like to see Sylvester get in the game more in place of Foote. I still think Farrior is our best bet at MLB. (since Timmons will be playing OLB) Farrior's experience is hard to replace with physical ability. All the speed and strength in the world won't help if you are running in the wrong direction. I wouldn't mind seeing the LBs for this game as (Timmons - OLB, Farrior/Foote - MLB, Polamalu/Sylvester - MLB, Woodley - OLB) The MLBs would of course rotate based on situation but I'd like to see Farrior and Polamalu start the game and play most of the time. I know that Troy is not a MLB, but he can tackle and blitz like one. I think this could disrupt some of NE plans on offense. Troy may not be as fast as he once was, but he is still plenty fast to cover a TE over the middle. Besides, I don't think you can have too many DBs on the field against Marcia Brady and Bill Belecheat. Play Mundy and Clark at Safety, even Mcfadden if need be.
    :swordsman: :herewego: