1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper Research

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by raeboyer0, Apr 19, 2018.

1. raeboyer0

raeboyer0 New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Hi everyone!
    My name is Rachel and I am currently in college. A part of my English final this year is to do research on a fanbase. I chose to my research on the Steelers Nation Fandom. Basically I am looking to see what kind of language steelers fans use, as well as some rituals you may do before, during, and after a game. I am also wondering how many of you pay to be apart of something that deals with the team. My family and I are huge Steelers fans but its difficult to use just my experiences on this paper. Your help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks everyone!

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    like during the game?? Depends on how the game is unfolding tbh. If I'm at home, I'd make sailors blush but if I'm in public then I'm usually just quiet (and trying to get the bartenders attention).

No rituals for me really.

I have paid for the NFL ticket in the past so I could watch the Steelers' games since i don't live in PA. But haven't for the last 2 years.

Hope that helps some, good luck!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi Rachel,

I’m from the north side of Pittsburgh, so I speak Yinzer.

I am superstitious about about the Steeler gear I wear. If we win a game, I wear the same things for the next game. I had a pair of lucky underwear two years ago, but you really don’t need any more information on that. Eventually a board member named Ray D convinced me to burn them. My wife has a pair of Steelers helmet earrings she wore backwards once and we lost. She has never made that mistake again.

I guess you could say I pay to be a part of something team related. Next year will be my 49th year as a season ticket holder. There is at least one other board member who started the same game I did.

Good luck on your paper. Can you tell us what school?

4. raeboyer0

raeboyer0 New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Thank you so much! This helped a lot actually! I go to Bloomsburg University!

5. raeboyer0

raeboyer0 New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Thank you so much I really appreciate it!

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Language, like English?

I have my Steelers lucky socks, and I need to have my football and Terrible in my hands for a game!

Usually go to one game per year.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Coffee in the white Steelers mug game day morning for home games, the black mug for away games. In stadium since 1970. Authentic breuner Jersey. Sons, wife, dad, stepmom, brother all huge fans. Don't miss a game, either there or on the tube. My best friend when he lived in Cali was the president of the black and gold brigade Steelers fan club. Family is friends with Dwight Stone. We took his mom and sister to the first game his mom saw him play in the burgh. They had dinner at my dad's before. Also good friends with Shawn Vincent, he was a one year steeler DB. His claim to fame was intercepting Warren moon twice in one game. Love this site and the chief that runs it, TTF. Great mods. Awesome site. Usually on daily. From Ohio. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Go Stillers.:cool:

8. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I'm not from Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania so I don't say "Yinzers" whatever the heck that is. I live in California so most of the Steeler games are not televised here unless they are playing the 49'ers or Raiders or it's Thurdsay, Sunday, or Monday Night Football. I've never been to a Steelers game so I don't really pay to watch the games but I do drive 35 miles to go to a sports bar that I like to watch the games at because they know where I want to sit and which television I want to have my game on and the all the girls know what I want to eat and to take home. I haven't missed a single game in eleven or twelve years, I think.

I have a yellow Steelers shirt and two black Steelers shirts I wear to the sports bar and a Bradshaw jersey that I wear just for big games. I have a mini-steelers helmet and a black terrible towel and a Steelers flag in my man cave room and I have a Steelers Player Statistics book that has every statistic on every Steelers player but it's from 1998 so it's outdated.

I have about a hundred Steelers player and team logo pictures on my computer along with a couple full Youtube Steelers super bowls.

I try not to be superstitious but I don't want anyone to talk to me for a while after we lose a game. One time back in '08 we lost a game to Chicago and I was driving home from the sports bar and for some reason I took the back way through a very small country town and I forgot they had a speed trap and I got a speeding ticket so I don't go that way anymore if we lose. Damn da Bears!

9. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I have one ritual before, during, and after games, and that is drinking beer.:drinks:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m from England, so I use English in the way God intended.

Although that’s probably limited during games to exasperated noises.

In terms of rituals: I probably used to have a few but stopped when I had kids. Used to wear my Thigpen jersey for every game, but the prospect of having baby sick on it put me off. Also, because of the time difference, having to fit the game around kids/sleep/work means I’m often watching the game after the event, so rituals don’t seem to hold the same power.

I pay for game pass to watch the games and obviously team gear.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    From northern New Jersey about 40 miles west of N.Y.C. Have been a fan since 1972 and wear anything Steeler related every game.Been wearing the Black and Gold Zubaz every game since the 80’s and a variety of Jerseys.I have to buy a new pair of Zubazs every year because I wear them so much.Have the Sunday Ticket and never miss a game!Go out to Pittsburgh every year for a long weekend to watch a game.They just announced the schedule last night and didn’t waste any time getting tickets as I’ll be going out to the Raven game September 30th with my girlfriend,daughter and her boyfriend!Can’t wait as it’s just a blast all weekend!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Kind of like You-all in the south. Poor English. Typical of Pittsburgh Northsiders.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    From Vancouver unfortunately.

I wish I could do more.

14. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    From the Chicago burbs.

I had a Superbowl XL champions shirt that I used to wear every game day until it was lost in a move (still pissed about it)
    Whether I'm at home or a bar I wave my camo terrible towel during field goal attempts
    During bigger games there is normally a group of us that always go to the same bar and sit in the same section with the same server.
    Good luck on your paper

15. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    My rituals for regular season games are to wear my Antonio Brown Jersey if we are playing at home and my Le'Veon Bell jersey when we play on the road (Bell's jersey might be switching to my Smith-Schuester Jersey soon). For playoffs, it's a little different. Wake up on gameday, go to church, eat breakfast with my dad and talk about the upcoming game. Wear my lucky pair of blue jeans and my Antonio Brown jersey. From one college student to another good luck on your final paper! Go Steelers!

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    SCIENCE!!! LOL.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm in San Diego and have only been to Pitt. once. I pay for Sunday ticket to see "my" games. Language? I can't repeat it here or I'll be banned! I have different coffee cups for Sun, Mon, and Thurs. games. I have to drink out of them every S,M,or Th until that game has been played. I wear my #7 jersey for all games and the same hat and TT. They DO NOT get washed! Before each half, I put my hands on the heads of my wife, grandkids and dog and say, "GOOOO STEELERS!" Other than that, I'm pretty normal......

18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Rituals? Not many. If I go out (rare anymore) I will wear Steeler gear, if not, sometimes I wear a Steelers' T-shirt, other times I don't.

Language? I am less profane than in days past, and I generally reserve F bombs for Ben after a stupid pick, or at Tomlin if they show him on sideline while the team is playing flat.

No standard meal. No specific drink, and I don't drink beer much unless I go out or maybe if it's a prime time game (usually wait until 2nd half).

But honestly, if you want the best crash course of all things Steelers' culter, check out Pgh Dad. Most of his thoughts are dead on with most fans, while being hilarious. There are dozens and dozens of his vids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  20. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I wear my steelers gear which includes jersey(same one till it has a loss then its done for the year), steelers socks, TERRIBLE TOWEL(prob the main thing your paper could be about), and steelers pants. I have a youtube steelers playlist i play multiple times on gameday. I like to watch the game alone. I go to 1 home game a year with my family. In the playoffs i play HERE WE GO on repeat all day every day.

21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Geez, Rachel! This needs research? Is this a community college English course?

I am looking to see what kind of language Steelers' fans use.
    Foul language

some rituals you may do before (drink booze), during (drink booze), and after a game (drink booze ... sometimes cry in our booze)

how many of you pay to be apart of something that deals with the team Everyone pays with their emotions

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Hi Rachel. My daughters name is Rachel as well and like me she is a huge Steeler fans. We are Canadians and love the Burgh. I dont have any rituals during games but I dont miss a second. I record all games and watch them when working out. Gives me the motivation I need. Only games I watch are the ones we win otherwise I feel as though my energy/motivation has been stripped from my body lol. I don't pay to be part of any organizations but I have made the trip to the Burgh several times to watch games over the last say 20 years. I have been a fan for over 40 years. Good luck with your paper. GO STEELERS

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    From Pittsburgh and speak Pittsburghese. The only real ritual I have is I have worn the same Ward Jersey for every game for the last 14 seasons. It is now nicknamed Dirt Nasty because it is absolutely disgusting.

24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    From Iowa (I know you would have never guessed from the name). Been a fan since 1974, I'm only 21, no wife, no kids, and have a million dollar internet company. Only one of the previous things is true! I wear the same jersey each game. When we are losing, my family and I will try to figure out what we are doing wrong while watching and switch a lot of things up. I am a pretty well spoken guy but when we are losing I have been known to speak in tongues. I have a horrible habit of yelling at players on tv. I can say the Steelers have only lost 1 game that I have been able to attend in person, so I have that going for me. Good luck on your research!

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

So you have been a fan since 1974 lol . That is the one thing that is true hehe

• Agree Agree x 1