1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Panic attack

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SteelSpine

SteelSpine Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I chalk up most of the "the Sky is falling" schtick on the board as people just venting. We need some sort of constructive mechanism to release our deep frustrations with the Team we love. I know in my case, if I didn't vent, the people at my job would think I have Steeler's induced Tourette's syndrome.

I have been lurking on these boards for a good long while. Why do you think I just now have started to post? ;)

2. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    All this talk about Dwyer, we know what he can do. I would like to see a big dose of LaRod Stephens-Howling, he hit the holes with no hesitation and speed in the first game. Pair him up with a power back and use a Fullback and we may have something.

3. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm on the knee-jerk reaction team too, but I'll give you a few reasons for it. The last 2 seasons we watched this kind of stuff and said the very same things, it is just preseason it doesn't mean anything and the offense is playing "vanilla" and wait until DL unleashes the full defense and all that stuff and then the first real game comes up and the team looks WORSE!! How many enjoyed that Ravens game when we couldn't block Suggs with 3 linemen or stop Ray Rice before he got to the secondary? They fixed it but not entirely, they basically covered the wound but it is too deep and keeps bleeding through. The example is last season, yeah, Ben got hurt but it was due to bad oline play again and the defense was part of it too, we still have game when the only way to stop a pass is to commit PI or like the Tebow game, completely load the line of scrimmage and pray they don't throw the ball. The reaction is because all of us have seen this show before and we watched it continue through the pre-season right into the first game. I keep myself calm by saying this year is different, they are experimenting but when the 2nd preseason game looks as bad, if not worse than the 1st preseason game, it makes me think that they really are trying but they just don't have enough talent in key positions like most of the oline, the CB's and RBs, and it really does look as if this team is in serious trouble. I hope I'm wrong, I hope that I look like the biggest idiot to ever make a comment about the team's poor preparation but I also, at the same time, fear that this isn't experimenting but a trend that will continue, I really hope I'm wrong about it being a trend and we shall see but the reaction comes from seeing this before.

4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    As I agree with your assessment and I think a lot of people would, the problem is the execution of plays and the undisplined(sp) nature they are playing football. I understand that they are not gamplaning or maybe don't care if they win the game but the penalties and the lack of urgency is killing us. We just don't look smooth on offense at all.

the offense line is in trouble. they don't play aggressive. It's going to be a bad day when we go up against the Ravens dline and the Bengals Dline. We need to put hot sauce in there diet or something.

We need to see if we can sign Sanders now. Dwyer needs to stay as long as Bell is often injured. I say start Jarvis Jones right off the bat. Worilds is a good back-up and it will be no different between the two.

Back to the oline, it will be some growing pains. We will be drafting oline again next draft but mainly for depth. And another thing, the oline looks so weak i wonder did they do any weighttraining during the off season.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well if I'm being lumped into that camp I can say definitively that I couldn't give a whoop if we win in the preseason. What I do care about is the team looking like they're getting things ironed out. I don't want to see bad trends continue and I certainly don't want to see those trends get worse. That's exactly what we saw in game 2 of the preseason. Steelers beating Steelers is what Coach T would call it and it only got worse in game 2. That being said, we do have another preseason game to get that fixed. The 4th game we won't even see our starters if but for a series, so we can't get anything fixed in that one. Hopefully the team will come out in game 3 and protect #7 better, cut down on the penalties and stop turning the ball over. If we do that there's a very good chance it could carry over to when the games actually count towards our record.

6. C ZACK

C ZACK Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Lol at the ghosts comment. I think this is one of the posts of the year!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope, didn't have you in mind, all you said is they suck, and they did. :thumbsdown:

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbs_up: Gotcha.. Thanks BF!

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I pretty much agree with the rest of what you have to say. We're fans (short for fanatics) which means that we can be irrational from time to time. I for one look at a fan as someone who isn't always wearing the rose colored glasses but will criticize their team when they are sucking wind (there's that word again) like they are doing now. I'm hoping for a 10+ win season but I must admit that I am less optimistic now than I was when the pre-season started. We have very little depth at most positions, ILB and DL possibly being an exception. We seem to ALWAYS come out FLAT and UNPREPARED. Why is that? You can't blame anyone for being a little frustrated at our Steelers right now. But we'll all be rooting like crazy for them when the regular season starts. :yeehaw:

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    YEAH, OVER N OVER N OVER AGAIN.

(in my best forrest gump) which they did , AGAIN.
    :cool:

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    :this!:
    Thank you BK99, agree with every thing you said. I for one do not want to here anybody say It's Only Preseason any more. We get that but look at the trends and tendency of this team including the coaches and the play calling. It doesn't look good and hasn't looked good for a while.

Our offensive plays and play calling do not seem to go with our personal and preseason or not you just do not turn it on and off when the real games start. And I hope I am wrong but if we win 8 games this year it will be a stretch.

Really starting to question Tomlin now. Last year many players were out of shape starting the season. They fixed that after the Rooney's finally said something, but we are still so undisciplined and look so un prepared that you cannot use Haley's type of and expect to go thru long drives when we are so undisciplined, ie penalties, missed assignment, bad play calling, missed block, holding the ball too long and taking a sack.

Example of this is when was the last time we went on long drive and actually scored a touchdown??? :facepalm: I hate to say this but Bruce's Arians wide open quick strike type of offense might of been better for this team just because we are so undisciplined for Haley's type of slow methodical offense. Not saying one is better than the other, but for this team it could be Arians. When was the last time we scored 30 points in a game with Haley's offense? Something to think about!

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    And that would be a fair assessment! Not grouping you in there either, been around you long enough to know where you stand!