1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Packers are America's New Favorite Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigsteelerfaninky, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  2. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You just noticed this?
    Aaron Rogers is the new Tom Brady.

3. SteelCityDynasty

SteelCityDynasty Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I honestly think those figures are way off. If you look at our road games and even when they play in New Mexico and even Japan, I think once in the preseason it always blows me away how many Steelers fans are there. These numbers are probably tallied somewhere near Wisconsin! If they could sustain life there and we played a game on Mars I'm sure you'd see terrible towels everywhere! Our popularity snowballs larger and larger year by year. In my opinion WE are America's team!

4. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The Steelers are not America's team. The Steelers are Pittsburgh's team.

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, the numbers have to be off. I see Steelers fans/license plates/stickers everywhere I go, more than any other team.

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    It's so easy to pick this "poll" apart. Since conducting research is part of my job, I really see some flaws. After all, do any of you REALLY believe that 1 out of every 5 Americans is a Packer fan? Me neither.

1. There is no description of sampling. How did PPP arrive at the 700 people polled?
    2. The poll didnt take into account what % of the participants are "rabid" fans, "casual" fans, or "non" fans. Nonfans are likely to just answer, "Packers," considering they are the champs, without any passion toward that response. After all, how can 53% of respondents have no opinion of Aaron Rodgers? I'll tell you how, too high a % of their sample are not football fans.
    3. Gender is not accounted for.
    4. Phone sampling is no longer an accurate method for conducting such surveys since so many Americans have ceased landline service. So the sample is tilted toward mostly older, conservative Americans--note PPP's own admission that they have a bias toward Republican candidates; most likely because of this methodology.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Same here. Been all around the world (sort of) and it may just be my imagination but it seems like the Steelers have always had the most swag out there. Especially in the southwest with a high Hispanic population. Really think an franchise would do very well in Albuquerque.

8. Bgunn

Bgunn Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I'm in Louisville and my buddies and I would argue that the Steelers are not just Pittsburgh's team. We are Black and Gold proud here in Louisville, KY!!!

9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The Packers had a decent fanbase before they won the Superbowl. Maybe 3rd or 4th largest following.

Now they get all of the front running bandwagoners too.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

10. Krunch

Krunch Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I live in Florida and whenever I am at one of the tourist spots, I watch how many people wear Steelers and other hats, jerseys, etc. I also watch that when I visit other parts of the country. From my peronsal observations, I would say that in the past two or three years, there was a big drop in the relative number of people wearing Steeler's gear at the tourist locations and at the same time an increase in Packer fans. From my observations in those tourist locations, I would say that the Packers fans are now close to even with Steelers fans. I seemed (personal perception only) to notice a drop in Steeler gear around the time of the BR scandals. And of course the Packers did win the SB and are doing well this year. There are always some who will go with the latest hottest team. On the other hand, Steelers fans seem to represent outstandingly well in stadiums around the country. I supect a difference in intensity of loyaty among the committed Steeler base. Just my observations.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly what the Chief said and he has always been correct.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There sure seem to be a lot of bandwagon Packers fans out there. I hear folks spouting about how they are diehard pack fans and they can't even tell you the name of the HC. I think a lot of these so-called packers fans are really fans of getting fudge-packed, not necessarily the GB Packers...

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    hey bgunn welcome from a fellow kentuckian....thinking about going to that lights under louisville? you ever been????

14. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Here in Columbus in five years i saw maybe two packer fans. Now i see a few a day. Im not taking away from the true die hards, and i know the packers have a passionate and loyal fanbase, but here has been a jump in packer fans since the superbowl.

15. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Prime example was the San Fran game and the chants for Heath - no team travels like the Steelers, but that may be because lots of people have to leave Pittsburgh for work, unless you are in healthcare, IT or a legal profession (as a very, broad generalization). I would have loved to have stayed, but I'm stuck on the awful east coast.

16. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    And I'm in Philly. The point isn't so much to say, "Piss off!" to the folks who aren't from Western PA, but to say that you're a Steelers fan because you like the team, not because it's the popular team to root for.

I kind of like the idea of us being the bad guys. Play the Darth Vader music while we get our next Lombardi Trophy.

17. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely agree here. In Cleveland here, they sell Steelers stuff in quite a few places. Try finding Browns stuff in Pittsburgh, not gonna happen!!! My wife has traveled to many cities all over the country and she has seen Steelers merchandise and fans in those locations as well. So yeah, this poll is garbage! :yeehaw:

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  19. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep... Weee Baaad... Weee Nationwide!!!
    And... Worldwide!!!
    You can take whatever poll you want...
    All I have to do is look at how many fans show up at ANY stadium, we play in!!!
    Or where our fans come from on the internet... Hello, Edson?...
    Anyone can say what they want...
    The proof is in the pudding...
    Look at any stadium we play in, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME...
    HERE WE GO STEELERS... HERE WE GO.... PITTSBURGH`S GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!